Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

gt3 sport mode on/off

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt3 sport mode on/off

ive been meaning to ask this question for a long time but what is the difference between keeping it on or off other than sound and slight power bump at 3000rpm? Has anyone else noticed its easier get the car rolling from a stop when sport mode is off and car is also less jerky when crawling in traffic at very low speeds?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've noticed that in sport mode it's easier to confuse the ABS under hard braking when there's unusual suspension travel. With sport mode on I get strange pedal feel and ABS vibration when I really shouldn't be. Turning off sport mode completely "fixes the glitch."

I've noticed it at TWS clockwise braking over the intersection into T3 and at Harris Hill Road coming down the hill into T5. I'm new the car and I've been tracking with sport mode off when I'm at DE's as a consequence. I've only experimented when I'm out there alone so I don't really have a well-formed sense of the issue. Anyone have a similar experience or any insight?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM
fun2k
Racer

i get vibration from the blakes too,ofcourse no hard braking at all,after the brakes are warmedup say about 14mins of normal driving,you press brake 3/4 way, slowing dow from 60-70mph and the steering starts to shakes and i can feel some vibration also.i dont think the ABS ever kicks in,very light braking so its a different issue.car is in service centre now.i also dont know if this is with sport mode or not as i didnt think it would cause such a problem.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

Ceramic brakes??
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in truth i think the throttle response is about as perfect as i've ever driven in the standard mode. in fact i've never liked the throttle response in Sport on any 997 i've owned.

when i bought my GT3 there was a 997 GT2 in the hunt as well, used with 400 mi.

drove them back-to-back three times that night and in the end i decided the throttle response of the GT3 is far nicer than the GT2, or any other car that comes to mind. sort of a Honeywell rheostat. Sport mode kills that.

secondly, at the track i want nuanced control and would never use Sport except for the effect on the suspension.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fun2k
Has anyone else noticed its easier get the car rolling from a stop when sport mode is off and car is also less jerky when crawling in traffic at very low speeds?
I've not noticed this, but I'm wondering if you're not just smoother with your feet as a result of enhanced auditory feedback?

Originally Posted by Nugget
With sport mode on I get strange pedal feel and ABS vibration when I really shouldn't be. Turning off sport mode completely "fixes the glitch."

I've noticed it at TWS clockwise braking over the intersection into T3
Ah ah! Here's the fix for that: higher exit speed at T4 requires earlier braking for T3 (before the transition)

j/k... But seriously, are you sure that it's ABS vibration? I mean, I'd **** in my pants if I was having to brake that hard over that transition. I try to be on the brakes very hard just prior to it, and as the track rises to compress the suspension further, modulate off the brakes through the transition for a nice, safe "landing" on the other side.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to clarify, I'm not braking ON the transition itself. And, as I said, same braking inputs with sport mode off and the weirdness goes away completely. Turn sport mode on and it's weird vibration and loss of braking authority. I'm pretty confident it's not something I'm doing that's causing the behavior.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nugget
Just to clarify, I'm not braking ON the transition itself. And, as I said, same braking inputs with sport mode off and the weirdness goes away completely. Turn sport mode on and it's weird vibration and loss of braking authority. I'm pretty confident it's not something I'm doing that's causing the behavior.
I'll see if I can duplicate the difference b/w the two modes next time out...

Quick Reply: gt3 sport mode on/off