Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

steering shakes when braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering shakes when braking

i have 2010 gt3 with steel brakes,dealer said to take it easy on the brakes first 1000km. sometimes when i apply the brakes(btw still taking it easy on the brakes,no hard breaking done yet) the steering starts to shake. it dosnt dosnt shake everytime i do it especilly when cold?will this go away after a while?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

This looks like the pads are bonding to the rotors (stock equip)...It will eventually fade away.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
fun2k
Racer

ic thx,so should i do hard braking to bed them in?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only reason to take it easy on new brakes is so you don't expect more out of them than they can deliver, but as far as a planned heavy brake, I put new pads on and go bed them right away. I put a set of tires on my car unbalanced for track purposes, and I would get some heavy shaking under braking until it slowed to a certain speed. Not likely your problem if its a new car but tire balance could be a cause, if its pulsing it could be a warped rotor, again unlikely if new but you asked.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
fun2k
Racer

alright thanks mate,il get it checked tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
fun2k
Racer

update regarding brakes,tried bedding in brakes but didnt solve the poblem.So took it to dealer for checkup,dealer changed the discs ,said they wernt balanced properly from factory?? The other problem is these disc squeal even more.btw how do you check if these discs are new?on closer inspection i could tell several of the holes covered with rock hard dirt or whatever it is.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dirt in the holes is normal and will happen shortly after they are in use. Especially after you are bedding new brakes. I doubt any dealer would put a used rotor on but the signs of a used rotor would be a grove or lip at the edge of the disk from the pad waring down the disk. crack in the rotor between the holes. the squeal is a symptom of the pads not being bedded properly or frequently. driving on the street wears off the pad materiel that is transferred to the disk because you do not get sufficient heat in street braking to transfer sufficient material on to the disk. When it starts happening do some heavy braking get the pads and rotors heated up and it will stop for awhile till you wear it off again.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Initial issue: warped rotors.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 AM
cannga
Instructor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
...Not likely your problem if its a new car but tire balance could be a cause, if its pulsing it could be a warped rotor, again unlikely if new but you asked.
+1. I had braking-induced steering shake in the past that went away with a tire re-balance.

Last edited by cannga; 01-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by todinlaw
The dirt in the holes is normal and will happen shortly after they are in use. Especially after you are bedding new brakes. I doubt any dealer would put a used rotor on but the signs of a used rotor would be a grove or lip at the edge of the disk from the pad waring down the disk. crack in the rotor between the holes. the squeal is a symptom of the pads not being bedded properly or frequently. driving on the street wears off the pad materiel that is transferred to the disk because you do not get sufficient heat in street braking to transfer sufficient material on to the disk. When it starts happening do some heavy braking get the pads and rotors heated up and it will stop for awhile till you wear it off again.
Thankyou so much for that info m8.

Originally Posted by texasviany
Initial issue: warped rotors.
yes i read somewhere you get vibration only after brakes have heatedup so my guess was also warped rotors.so warped rotars = unbalanced? im surprised porsche quality control is so bad,i had to put the air intake rubber by hand because it wasnt completely on from the factory.Even on my last 997tt had more than half of the rubber (on the edge of the boot) put glues back on by the dealer.

Originally Posted by cannga
+1. I had braking-induced steering shake in the past that went away with a tire re-balance.
ic,my prob is gone after they changed the rotors so my tyres are balance(thank god). Was porsche QC always like this,i mean how hard can it be keep everything in check making the same car for over 50years and still get these issues.its a shame really.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

9 times out of 10 out of the the factory- the alignment is off- WTF is with that? Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
9 times out of 10 out of the the factory- the alignment is off- WTF is with that? Mike
Because they don't set the alignment the same way. It's not done slowly and deliberately as an alignment shop does it. The wheels are positioned and all the adjusters are tightened. Takes a few minutes vs 1-2 hours
Old 01-24-2010, 04:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

God your yellow with black rims looks great. I'm just saying it would be nice if dealer puts it on the rack and check the alignment and I'm all for one less visit to the dealer to get it realigned. Mike

Quick Reply: steering shakes when braking