Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Signed the papers on my 10' GT3 today. Impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Signed the papers on my 10' GT3 today. Impressions...

I have the 5th/last allocation from my dealer. Car was ordered in August and built late November. Car came in last week. I have been working the financing/deal for the last week...and yes, I got a discount. It is a track oriented build that I specced with just a few options: Basalt Black, Sport Buckets (must have), Dynamic Engine Mounts (must have), self-dimming mirrors, Sound Plus, universal audio interface (to plug in the iPod), floor mats, aluminum foot rest and exterior paint headlight washer nozzles. Yes, no wart on the dash or leather this/Carbon that fluff on my car.

My first impressions:

1. This car really rides nice around town. In fact, it rides a lot softer than my ROW M030 996. Even in sport mode, it is very liveable. Small bumps you just don't feel and large bumps it completely soaks up. I drove a Panamera while I was over at the dealer and the Panamera actual rode worse than the GT3.
2. Sport buckets - absolutely love them. I have Euro GT3 seats in my 996, but these are another step up. They are a lot more padded, particularly in the side of the butt where the Euro GT3 seats pinch in. The thigh extension is a little higher and the backrest is a little more vertical than the Euro GT3 seats. For me, this gives a much more natural driving positon. The alcantara really grabs you when you sit in them.
3. Brakes are very touchy and squeal. I heard them come with Sport Pads, which would be Pagid Blacks. All I know is after only a couple miles, they sound like nails on a chalkboard.
4. Clutch is a lot stiffer (I was expecting this), but you get used to it after a few minutes.
5. I am really surprised by the torque. I drove it only reving it up to 6500. It just pulls you back, shockingly so. At 4000, it feels stronger than the X51 engine in my 996 at 6500. It is a very impressive engine with just lots of torque everywhere.
6. Sport mode is very noticeable. It really picks up the midrange torque. When it is off, the car feels much more pedestrian in the mid-range.
7. My car came with Corsas, which would have been my choice if I could chose between MPSCs and Corsas. That is just the luck of the draw. I have Corsas on the track wheels for my 996 and like them because they are pretty good in the wet/rain and last longer than the MPSCs. I want them on this car due to their wet performance as with the center locks, I will be driving on track tires all the time.
8. I can't give any impressions of the dynamic engine mounts other than they make the car feel like it has a lightweight flywheel. That is, the car responds immediately to throttle inputs.
9. Shifter is very notchy. I hope this goes away as it breaks in.

Clear shield is getting put on tomorrow with the hardwire for the V1. Next week we are moving the SS Techequipe rollbar from my 996 into the GT3.

BTW, does anyone know how to get your username changed? I need to update mine.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on a sweet car! Enjoy it in good health and take it to the track asap
Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

congrats on the car.
you and team drug money have gotten the options right!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Fast Fred
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats !

Concerning brake pads : over here in Europe I've seen them delivered with red brake pads...

What was the brake in advice you got ?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

Congratulation!

I liked your feed back on the tiers too...

I have ordered my New GT3 RS with almost the same options as yours..

Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Congrats and thanks for the write-up. Always interesting to read reviews.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Re Name Change, send me a PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
8. I can't give any impressions of the dynamic engine mounts other than they make the car feel like it has a lightweight flywheel. That is, the car responds immediately to throttle inputs.
Thanks for the insights. I was particularly interested in your impressions of the DEM. According to the GT3 sales brochure/book the DEM improves the way the car handles in the corner, minimizing the natural tendency of the rear engine design to follow a straight line after you turn into a corner. The DEM is also suppose to improve traction and straight line acceleration. So from your initial impressions, it sounds like at least the latter is true and not just sales fluff.

Congratulations and look forward to some pictures. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
green
Pro

Congrats!!
I got mine last week. Found that engaging 3rd is notchy, but the other gears (and also the clutch) feel surprisingly normal. Brake squeal way down after 200 miles.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!

In addition to your feelings of PADM, the flywheel has been marginally lightened on the .2 GT3s, which may contribute to the instant response. It is not a single mass flywheel like the RS gets, but it is lighter than the .1s. I've heard part of the reason the flywheel has been lightened was due to the heavier pistons from the larger displacement.

Great to hear about the improved torque.

Last edited by 911dev; 12-31-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the comments.

I have talked to a few people about break in at multiple dealers. What I got was drive as you normally would, assuming you don't beat on it. Keep the revs to the lower 2/3rds of the rev band with occassionally rev it all the way to the limiter for the first 1000 miles. Nothing special for the brakes other than not to track them for a couple hundred miles.

Note the change in user name. Thanks Bob!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, the GT3 doesn't come with Pagid Black pads, they do come with the Sport Pad, which is equivalent to the 4-2-1 "sport" compound. No squeal through 10k miles on my 07.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats ! Nice write-up too.

Just take her out and do a proper 'brake bedding' and the squeal will be gone I'll bet ..

Quick Reply: Signed the papers on my 10' GT3 today. Impressions...