997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll Bar Saftey Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010 | 02:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

At any event I've ever been to if what you are asking about was observed, you'd be immediately pulled off the track and made to remedy the situation. I think what you are saying is if you kept your stock Porsche seats which do not have pass-throughs for either shoulders or sub straps, and some how rigged up a shoulder that went around the seat and some lap belts. Then tightened yourself down and then used the 3-point stock belts. First off, 4 point belts are not permitted in PCA, at least not in any of the chapters I've driven with. Secondly, a tech inspector would see the improper use of shoulder belts without proper pass-throughs and deem the car unsafe.

Here's the text right out of our PCA chapter's DE guidebook:

15. The stock factory occupant restraint systems with a 3-point shoulder/lap belt were designed
and tested to protect occupants in a very effective fashion. However, these SYSTEMS are
designed to be used only in conjunction with the stock seat. If additional support is desired, these
SYSTEMS can be supplemented by a simple 3” lap belt. The lap belt may be used with the
Factory 3 point shoulder/lap system. The additional lap belt should be secured before fastening the
Factory belts.

While not required or encouraged, some participants install harnesses. If the participant installs a
5/6 –point driving harness, several additional changes should be made in order to create a truly safe
occupant restraint SYSTEM. Harnesses must include a sub strap and be mounted in an approved
manner consistent with SCCA requirements and the manufacturer's instructions. A seat designed
to be used with a harness must be properly installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s
instructions. This means that a seat is required to have the proper routing for the harness, both
through the back and base of the seat for the respective shoulder and anti-sub belts. Shoulder
straps should be mounted at 90 degrees to the axis of your spine or at most 40 degrees down from
the horizontal. Because the addition of the harness means that the occupants are fastened upright
in the vehicle, a roll bar or roll cage is strongly encouraged to complete the SYSTEM. The use of
one without the other may result in an unsafe environment and is not a complete SYSTEM.

Installation of an incomplete safety SYSTEM, for example properly installed harnesses without a
roll bar or roll cage, may result in instructor’s electing not to provide instruction in the car.
Participation in the event as a GREEN student or individuals not signed-off could be limited to
number of instructor’s electing to instruct in such an equipped vehicle. Additionally, signed-off
students who seek instruction may also be impacted based on the availability of instructors willing
to instruct in such an equipped vehicle.

As we've all stated numerous times, belts are a designed and tested safety feature. You either have to do it correctly or not do it at all when it comes to racing harnesses. But don't take it from us Drovers, take it from James from GMG Racing, the PCA DE rules guidebooks, the makers of racing harnesses, etc.
Old 01-03-2010 | 02:25 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Can you explain this in a bit more detail? Knowing very little about harnesses this seems counter-intuitive to me. What's the difference beyond just belt width that impacts the efficacy of a HANS? I'd have expected the opposite -- the wider belts hold you in more securely making the necessity for a HANS device even more pronounced than with the narrower belts. Obviously I'm missing some aspect of the equation.
The HANS device has a relatively small place to lay your 3" wide shoulder belt. It was designed to do it, but it's much easier if someone else routes the belts for you while you sit in the car (I help do this for my pit crew duties for a friend of mine). With a hybrid 3"->2" belt, the belts starts off at your abdomen at 3" wide, then partway up, transitions to 2". This 2" portion is easier to lay over the HANS device.

Easier installation = fewer chances of screwing up = safer.

I'm sticking with 3" belts and bought a Defnder H&N restraint. It is easier to use with 3" belts, offers more lateral protection than a HANS (in theory), and finally, since it allows me to retain the 3" shoulder belts I also have the choice of not running the Defnder if I'm doing lower speed autox style events and don't want the burden of a H&N restraint. I can still use the harnesses to hold me in the seat and the 3" shoulder belts satisfy my local safety requirements.

Cheers,

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-03-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added reply quote
Old 01-03-2010 | 07:55 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Can you explain this in a bit more detail? Knowing very little about harnesses this seems counter-intuitive to me. What's the difference beyond just belt width that impacts the efficacy of a HANS? I'd have expected the opposite -- the wider belts hold you in more securely making the necessity for a HANS device even more pronounced than with the narrower belts. Obviously I'm missing some aspect of the equation.
Just in case you missed it, I think Allan's post was intended to answer your question:

Originally Posted by AllanJ
The HANS device has a relatively small place to lay your 3" wide shoulder belt. It was designed to do it, but it's much easier if someone else routes the belts for you while you sit in the car (I help do this for my pit crew duties for a friend of mine). With a hybrid 3"->2" belt, the belts starts off at your abdomen at 3" wide, then partway up, transitions to 2". This 2" portion is easier to lay over the HANS device.

Easier installation = fewer chances of screwing up = safer.
If someone else isn't around to check if for me, I'll use my rear view mirror to make a visual inspection.
Old 01-03-2010 | 07:58 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Thx Russell.
Old 01-04-2010 | 10:40 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
With a hybrid 3"->2" belt, the belts starts off at your abdomen at 3" wide, then partway up, transitions to 2". This 2" portion is easier to lay over the HANS device.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I knew I was missing something.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar Saftey Questions