Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sharkwerks Total side and center bypass impressions.....one word...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Md11skipper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not mistaken the vacuum tubes you tied to a metal rod, will give you an air leak if you don't plug them up. I think in normal mode there will be a vacuum to keep the valves closed which you obviously don't have on your system anymore. I am sure Alex is the best source for this info.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
If I am not mistaken the vacuum tubes you tied to a metal rod, will give you an air leak if you don't plug them up. I think in normal mode there will be a vacuum to keep the valves closed which you obviously don't have on your system anymore. I am sure Alex is the best source for this info.
good observation! I took that pic prior to inserting two bolts in the ends....the metal rod is the hard vacuum tube...the rubber one is just tied back to it so as to avoid contact with the hot tubes.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Damn Norm, I have got to hear it!!!!!!!!!! I was obsessed with Sharky's bypass you had on the RS when I drove it LOLLL, when are we meeting up man?? Hope you had a great holiday!
M... we will hook up soon; the weather was ideal yesterday for a rip on the OP...I really let it loose on the Wantagh and this throttle is so responsive now that it wants to break away while the TC is on!!....yeah, baby!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the Exhaust!! This exhaust gets nothing but compliments on and off track.. If anyone is in the South FL area and would like to hear it before they buy it, they are welcome to Pm me..
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leif997
M... we will hook up soon; the weather was ideal yesterday for a rip on the OP...I really let it loose on the Wantagh and this throttle is so responsive now that it wants to break away while the TC is on!!....yeah, baby!
You have my number, give me a call, or PM as I check often!!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 881 Likes on 366 Posts

I get myself in enough trouble with sharky's bypass on my RS!!! But I do like loud...hmmmm!!!

My new years resolution is to drive up north and visit alex and his crew...who's with me?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
INTOXICATING!!!

Alex and Dan have outdone themselves!!

This is as close as you will come to a 997 CUP sound and this coupled with the EVOmsit ecu flash for the total bypass puts this car at or better than the throttle response and pick up of the CUP as well.

Installation:...if you can change a tire; you can install these pipes!!

Sound comparisons:

Stock GT3 RS pipes with damper open = electric motor on a sewing machine

Stock GT3 RS with Sharkwerks center bypass = restricted and muffled CUP

GT3 RS with EVOmsit flash and Sharkwerks total bypass = exponential viral audible sickeness that most will not have immunity against and Alex better get busy and make more....I'm getting another for my DD GT3 as well...

Get yours today!....

(will post a few instal pics as well to follow)
Hey Norm, sorry I'm late... kind of just back into work if you will:P Seriously thanks for waiting (we took our sweet time with various revisions) and please send all your neighbors hate mail to me!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i dig it!
no more bulky side mufflers! and no more heavy center piece!
this is a simple and as effective as one can get. pure logic.

i bet the RS sounds more like a porsche from yesteryear!

i would find it difficult to pay 5-10k for an akropovic exhaust with this system on the market.
Thanks tcsracing1... it's pretty raw sounding on a 3.6 and a 3.8. It's certainly a bit out there at 8800 on the 3.9 as well. I've been driving around with it to try and live with it and so far as long as the windows are down it's great. 6th gear at 75mph @3500 same thing. The mufflers and the balance pipe are doing their job.... But it's still loud and not for everyone heh

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Damn Norm, I have got to hear it!!!!!!!!!! I was obsessed with Sharky's bypass you had on the RS when I drove it LOLLL, when are we meeting up man?? Hope you had a great holiday!
Hope you like it Martin and hopefully you come over to the NA side soon eh

Originally Posted by eclou
need some audio/video to back up that claim!!!
I got a few clips down below

Originally Posted by DavidNR
This is sounding better and better.

I know I have this syndrone and its comforting to know I'm not the only one...

I thought it was heredetary, but since its viral I must have caught it somewhere...

Is this the cure? Then put my name on one!
ROFL! Thanks!

Originally Posted by TripleM
looks wicked..
Thanks and we're actually sending one over to your neck of the woods too I believe:P

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I think this is another "must have" to go along with my 3.9!! I fell in love with it a few weeks ago when I drove Kermit with it first installed.
ROFL I dunno! Don't your neighbors already hate you? Oh hang on... what neighbors? We'll go for another drive and see what you think You can't turn the sound off tho

Originally Posted by Jon70
Great looking exhaust.

What is the open ended black tubing?
I really like the sound of the sharkwerks bypass. Is this new track exhaust much louder than the bypass with the sport button on? I'm afraid of going too loud, but I'd like to drop the extra 40 lbs.
It is considerably louder both outside and inside as well. There's not a lot of sound deadening so it's probably best to stick with the street exhaust you have. The weight saving is nice but unless you're at the track most of the time it's probably not something your neighbors would want...

Originally Posted by excmag
Agreed with all of the above observations.

Alex didn't seem to keen on these becoming a "street" exhaust, and warned me over and over that it was loud when I said I was willing to try it. Then I went up and down the street, came back, rolled the window down, and said "It's not THAT loud..." (as judged against some of the loudest cars to come through here like the Yellowbird, K1, etc.). And, yes, it gets back to the sounds of older 911s. Not a bad thing. Might be Cup-ish, but the last one of those I drove was all (or almost all) gear noise, so I'm not sure I can speak so well to that.

That said, a longer drive meant that I had to cool it and "play" the exhaust at times to avoid drawing attention from certain black-and-white cars or pissing off minivans, or pick my gear at cruising speeds in order to minimize noise rather than the gear I wanted to be in. I consider myself pretty hard core, and willing to put up with A LOT, but I'm not sure I'd roll this thing. Then again, the weight savings is sorely tempting...

But, as said above, it gets you silly good noise. Didn't drive it with the appropriate flash, and there were a few spots where you could tell it needed it. Sure did like the idea of shedding the pounds back there, too...

pete
Thanks pete... I know I'm "getting" old and so 5 inch straight pipes are a distant memory. I just feel bad for pedestrians and the like... I mean non-GT3 crazy people (there must be some out there) when we whiz by:P I've certainly been enjoying it though. I've played around some and figured out a few sweet spots for cruising. I'm not sure I'm going to take it off now

Originally Posted by malmasri
I maybe having second thoughts about the lessor fin.
Originally Posted by MikeAWD
Congrats on the Exhaust!! This exhaust gets nothing but compliments on and off track.. If anyone is in the South FL area and would like to hear it before they buy it, they are welcome to Pm me..
Thanks for trying it out early on Mike and glad you're having fun!

Originally Posted by richk
I get myself in enough trouble with sharky's bypass on my RS!!! But I do like loud...hmmmm!!!

My new years resolution is to drive up north and visit alex and his crew...who's with me?
Not unless I get down there before ya! I'm not sure Rodeo Drive would appreciate it tho

Here's the video guys:

And for more inf:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=255
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Alex:

Wish I still had my leaking GT3,gone, that exhaust sound fantastic. Oh well I really am happy with your crossover pipe on my 2009 C2S . Now what shall we do with my 2.9 Cayman inbound that will relieve the '83 SC of track and autocross duties?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default pretty funny that on ur approach to sr on saturday

some of the folks thought it sounded like a Viper was coming.

And I really like the new faded graphics and champs.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 AM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Music to my ears.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Alex:

Wish I still had my leaking GT3,gone, that exhaust sound fantastic. Oh well I really am happy with your crossover pipe on my 2009 C2S . Now what shall we do with my 2.9 Cayman inbound that will relieve the '83 SC of track and autocross duties?
Thanks f4 plt! Glad you like the 997 one too

The 2.9 Cayman... got a few ideas Although one thing does concern me on those is has the power steering pump issue been fixed vs the older gen?

Originally Posted by 4ng crcs
some of the folks thought it sounded like a Viper was coming.

And I really like the new faded graphics and champs.
Hehe thanks!

Originally Posted by kcl
Wow. Music to my ears.
Cheers!

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks Total side and center bypass impressions.....one word...