Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 Instrument Panel Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
rgd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Instrument Panel Malfunction

On the same day I had to travel overseas, my 2007 Carrera "S" had a strange malfunction. The instrument panel stopped working along with the convertible top and other related equipment. I had to drive home with the top down, no problem, but I also had no speedometer, tachometer, clock, etc. Because I had to fly out that day, I had to leave the car in the garage with the top down. I called the Porsche dealership and they said the car was under warranty and they would fix it when I returned. I am not worried because it is under warranty, but I am just curious as to what it could be. I did check all the fuses and they were fine. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Could this be a future recall situation?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had something like that with a 540 BMW. THey told me to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Kind of like CRT-ATL-Del. It worked.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both our Boxsters have done odd electrical things as the ignition switch has worn out. My car provided dash lights, but no headlights or air conditioning. The wife's lost gauges and the ability to raise/lower the windows and roof. In both cases everything else worked fine. New ignition switch fixed both. Porsches do not seem to be wired like other cars.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 996 needs a new ig switch also... intermittent problems with dash lights, sunroof, headlights, etc. My 18 year old Corvette has never had any of these problems. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:21 PM
jacksonbrown2021
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb solution?

Originally Posted by rgd
On the same day I had to travel overseas, my 2007 Carrera "S" had a strange malfunction. The instrument panel stopped working along with the convertible top and other related equipment. I had to drive home with the top down, no problem, but I also had no speedometer, tachometer, clock, etc. Because I had to fly out that day, I had to leave the car in the garage with the top down. I called the Porsche dealership and they said the car was under warranty and they would fix it when I returned. I am not worried because it is under warranty, but I am just curious as to what it could be. I did check all the fuses and they were fine. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Could this be a future recall situation?
do you remember what the dealership told you was the issue ? i currently have the EXACTsame issue with a 07 carrera

Quick Reply: 997 Instrument Panel Malfunction