Suspension bottoms out easily?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Suspension bottoms out easily?

I've had my GT3 for just about 3 months now. In daily driving I've noticed that the suspension (at least in the front) seems to bottom out relatively easily over things like depressed manhole covers that don't seem to be very deep (maybe 2 inches or so). I hear a pretty loud whack when this happens, so I assume it's bottoming out. Over lesser road irregularities, there is no noise at all. I guess it's because of the limited suspension travel. Is this normal?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is something wrong if that is happening. Mine will hit the top of speed bumps if in normal mode and I go over too fast. It is the air duct I think.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the anti-roll bar links haven't come loose. that is the only time mine made any noise.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This fully depends on the speed at which you are travelling. If you are going slow, then the above is true and you have a problem. If you are going fast, then no wonder you get a whacking sound. Please be kind to your car.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Our cars have rubber/foam style bump stops on each strut to prevent it from going beyond its compression limits, i.e., bottoming out. If you are bouncing off of these stops, they will show excessive where and will even begin to split. I would be surprise if this was happening to your car assuming you are at factory ride height and settings.

Like others said, you may want to look else where.

Quick Reply: Suspension bottoms out easily?