Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM
army scope jockey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland

I am fortunate to be working for the army as opposed to being owned by them. I am stationed in Germany and have been here for the last 6 years (3 years AD and 3 years as a civilian).

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new GT3. We are able to order them at 3% off MSRP through Military sales. I was wondering how the market is stateside and if it would be less expensive to buy from the US and ship to Germany. I have seen a few deals on left over 09 C2S but not too much on the GT3s. Option wise I will keep it somewhat trimmed down and have this configuration in mind: Carrara white, dynamic engine mounts, heated seats, universal audio interface and fire extinguisher. Any thoughts on the sound package option?

Last edited by army scope jockey; 11-21-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you do they charge for sales (or VAT) tax? That will probably be the difference on a new car.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall you can avoid VAT and sale tax if you stay long enough through the DOD programs. Pick it up at the factory.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
If I recall you can avoid VAT and sale tax if you stay long enough through the DOD programs. Pick it up at the factory.
That would be the ticket.

With 2 previous Euro-deliveries, the law in California used to be 90+ days of ownership outside the state and you didn't have to pay sales tax -- now 9.75%! Now it's a year, and it starts once it enters the country, so you can't leave it in storage in Europe anymore.

Hopefully, California treats the military better, but I have my doubts. Check everything first.

I had a 'potential opportunity' to work on Euro program that would require 4-6 trips a year to Europe. I just kept thinking about having a GT3/RS sitting waiting for me when I got there.

Good luck. It would be great to have one full-time in Europe.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:42 AM
army scope jockey
Intermediate

A little more info. I am a physician under SOFA (status of forces agreement) working at the hospital on the forefront of the global war on terrorism. I do not pay any German taxes well except for property tax on our house which is much less than in Texas and a write off on my US tax return.

So I can buy a US spec car via military sales or any German Porsche dealer and register it via the US military. I could also buy a GT3 from the US and ship it here and not pay any state sales tax. We do not get charged for European delivery . So basically I can order a GT3 and knock off 3% from MSRP and pick it up in Stuttgart which is 2 hrs south of Landstuhl. Also there are no taxes (sales/registration) to pay except for tags which are 60 USD for 2 years. Insurance does suck at around $3000 a year but goes down by 80% when the car is garaged for the winter. FWIW we pay about the same for gas in the US. The Germans are paying about 6 USD for a gallon of super plus.

All in all it is is great living in Germany under SOFA. Driving on the autobahn is not what it is cracked up to be. Sitting in Staus (traffic) for hours on end is why the best way to go across Germany or Europe is on 2 wheels. In this respect a BMW or a Ducati will always trump a cage. Even a GT3, which btw is a really nice cage.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by army scope jockey
I am fortunate to be working for the army as opposed to being owned by them. I am stationed in Germany and have been here for the last 6 years (3 years AD and 3 years as a civilian).

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new GT3. We are able to order them at 3% off MSRP through Military sales. I was wondering how the market is stateside and if it would be less expensive to buy from the US and ship to Germany. I have seen a few deals on left over 09 C2S but not too much on the GT3s. Option wise I will keep it somewhat trimmed down and have this configuration in mind: Carrara white, dynamic engine mounts, heated seats, universal audio interface and fire extinguisher. Any thoughts on the sound package option?
The sound package option is a fair improvement over the standard one. More power, I think two more door speakers, a center dash speaker, four additional rear speakers, better quality, etc... It's not as good as optional Bose in the Carreras (not that Bose is that good), but is an improvement.

MJones recently posted what you get with Sound Pack. Although Sound Pack does remain analog, you can easliy upgrade just the amp and add even more power to your music. Not expensive to do from what I'm told.

Last edited by 911dev; 11-22-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 AM
army scope jockey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
That would be the ticket.

With 2 previous Euro-deliveries, the law in California used to be 90+ days of ownership outside the state and you didn't have to pay sales tax -- now 9.75%! Now it's a year, and it starts once it enters the country, so you can't leave it in storage in Europe anymore.

Hopefully, California treats the military better, but I have my doubts. Check everything first.

I had a 'potential opportunity' to work on Euro program that would require 4-6 trips a year to Europe. I just kept thinking about having a GT3/RS sitting waiting for me when I got there.

Good luck. It would be great to have one full-time in Europe.
I'll be in Germany for a long time. I suspect at least 24 more years. That way I can retire with well over 35 years federal service and my Euro spec 2009 Land Rover 110 Defender can come back to Texas.

Quick Reply: Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland