Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013 | 11:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

How many miles did you add since 10-09?
Old 02-17-2013 | 06:59 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

love the rs of course, but that targa is so beautiful and elegant.
love the lines on it.
Old 02-17-2013 | 10:26 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How many miles did you add since 10-09?
The RS had about 6k when I bought it, it now has around 18k. I used to drive it to work often, but the construction on Chicago's Lower Wacker for last 2.5 years has made that impractical / dangerous, so the vast majority of its miles have been driving to/from/on the track. I've thought about getting a track car that is cheaper on consumables, but I can't see getting rid of this car.
Originally Posted by tasman
When do you think you will be at Road America this summer. Hope to see you up there. Did you ever get hoses pinned or welded?
I will be at the PCA event over Memorial Day, that is my favorite track weekend of the year, bar none. Would love to meet up if you are going to be there. I have not had my hoses pinned. I'm still trying to decide what is within my budget for this off-season.
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
love the rs of course, but that targa is so beautiful and elegant.
love the lines on it.
Thanks. I miss the Targa often, especially now that my daily driver is a Chrysler Pacifica. I will buy it back someday. I've asked my dad several times if he is ready to exercise his put, and he says not yet, but I'm not quite ready to exercise my call either.
Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
And btw, take the kids to Daytona Beach and tell them that's about all they'd remember from college anyway!
Thanks. I have two sons, and I've been thinking lately that a couple of years in the military will be good for them and help them pay for college. I actually dropped out of college and enlisted, and when I came back, I had figured out that I did not want to dig foxholes and jump out of airplanes for a living. It's safe to say that when I dropped out of college, I never thought I would one day be driving a top of the line Porsche (yes, I know Turbos/GT2 variants are more expensive, but to me, the GT3-RS line is the top of the Porsche line).

Btw, you have a much bigger addiction than me, you certainly got to 4k much quicker than me. I was initially contemplating a new thread on RL addiction, and you were on the list of top average daily posts.

This is a great community, and there are a lot of people here that I respect and enjoy interacting with, heck, I've even met a couple of RL'ers in real life, and I always want to meet more. If you are ever at a track event or visiting Chicago, the first beer is always on me (which is an easy offer because I never drink just one).
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2013 | 10:44 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

beautiful car(s).
Old 04-17-2013 | 01:29 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

I need someone from RL to slap some sense into me or out of me.
Originally Posted by Asquared
I thought I would own this [Targa] forever, but then DE...intervened, and I got the bug hard, so less than 2 years later, I traded up to an 07 GT3-RS.... Fortunately, my father didn't want the Targa to leave the family after driving it on the autobahn, so he purchased it from me, giving me "right of first refusal" allowing us to hopefully keep it in the family for years to come.
After 3.5 years, I think I'm going to buy back my old Targa from my Dad. My parents are moving from Houston to FL, and my Dad prefers the BMW convertible he bought my mom, so he’s talked of putting it in storage. Given that crap-box Pacifica I’ve been driven left me stranded in February when the front transaxle crapped out, costing about half the value of the car to fix, it’s time to dump that dog (I've been down that path too many times). Besides, who wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to buy a used car spec’d exactly how you would have ordered it yourself. It even comes with a picture of some guy that looks like a thinner version of me picking it up from the factory. And most important thing of all, the wife in on-board. (She loved driving the the RS until I put the racing seats without height adjustment.)

Anyway, what might be the best news about this whole thing is I already have plans to drive the RS to FL over Thanksgiving, hitting Road Atlanta on the way down, parking it in FL for the winter, flying down for a Sebring event, and hitting VIR on the way back to Chicago in the Spring. I could get used to that routine. Anyone know a good independent shop around Naples?

Last edited by Asquared; 04-17-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2013 | 04:07 AM
Nan P
Pro

Cool story, even cooler cars!
Old 04-17-2013 | 06:51 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

yes..a real Porsche family...something you see rarely. The 997 targa is such an elegant car..keep them both!

Value loss on the targe will be compensated by value gain for the 3.RS...
Old 04-17-2013 | 09:41 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Asquared
Anyone know a good independent shop around Naples?
Autoquest in Fort Myers, FL is close to Naples. I brought my whole setup (3 cars and truck/trailer) down last October 2012 and parked it there until we just came back to VA last week. Gavin (owner), Amy, Stephen (GT3 guru mechanic) and Frank will really take care of you and your car. Gavin and Amy are ACTIVE drivers at Sebring. They go there a lot. Stephen will do a great job on your car and really look after it for you. They have a large indoor space for customer cars, usually quite a few GT3's there.

Autoquest
14498 S Tamiami Trail, Fort Myers, FL
(239) 432-1700
maybe 30 or 40 minutes from Naples, 1.5 hours or less to Sebring.
Old 04-17-2013 | 09:48 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Great first post! I was thrown a bit after reading it, and then noticing 4000+ posts... Next thought was "is this an April fools thread?"

Congrats on being an integral member to Rennlist. Definitely time to buy back the Targa, and congrats to your dad for keeping the car healthy in the interim!

As a side story, I have a 14 year old who is not really interested in cars, but has helped me do countless oil changes, brake pad swaps, etc. over the years. A few weeks ago, I was telling the wife that I might want to sell the pristine 94 Speedster and buy another Porsche. He interjected with "DAD! You CAN NOT sell your Porsche. You can only ADD to them".

Works for me. Saving for my next one.

All the best,
-B
Old 04-17-2013 | 10:18 AM
a_Y
Racer

welcome and great color combo!

oops haha clearly i didn't realize when your first post was made. but regardless, i love your color combo!
Old 04-17-2013 | 10:38 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Autoquest in Fort Myers, FL is close to Naples.
Thanks for the contact info. Once I firm up my plans, I will contact them.

Originally Posted by blake
Great first post! I was thrown a bit after reading it, and then noticing 4000+ posts... Next thought was "is this an April fools thread?"
Yeah, I came for the technical knowledge, I stayed for P&C. I'm sure there are plenty of people that wish I stayed away, but I hope I'm not on Freddy's list of AttentionWhore list.

Originally Posted by blake
He interjected with "DAD! You CAN NOT sell your Porsche. You can only ADD to them".
I think I will keep these two for a very long time. I've contemplated selling the RS and getting another street legal DE car that is cheaper on consumables, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the RS.

My youngest loves Porsches, he's very excited to have the Targa back. My oldest (11) thinks having one is waste of money, he thinks he won't be able to go to college now that I have two. Of course the fact that I've already told him I think he should join the military to help pay for school might have something to do with it.
Old 04-17-2013 | 11:14 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Great thread and cars. Hope you can hold onto both cars forever.

Quick Reply: Allow myself to introduce...