Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Allow myself to introduce...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Cool cars and great story. (Where does the other garage door escape to?)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

i have ALWAYS loved that silver Orange RS congrats.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
…myself, i.e., the obligatory introduction post, complete with pics. I've been lurking around addicted to rennlist for a while, but it took me a while to get the appropriate pics (hard to believe, but I didn't have any good pics of my Targa).

Lifelong Porsche fan, didn't have the money to indulge. I decided in 2003 that the next car I bought was going to be a Porsche, so I agreed with my wife (or Upper Management) that I could establish a P-Fund, setting aside half my annual bonus until I could afford a P-Car. I debated between getting a used one earlier and saving up for the new one, but I needed a daily driver (and in Chicago winters, all wheel drive helps) and I generally keep all my cars for a long time, so I saved up an ordered a 08 TargaS.

I took delivery in Germany, and my father and I enjoyed driving it Germany, France, and Switzerland for way too short a time. Although we did get to open it up on the autobahn, as you can see from pic below.

I thought I would own this car forever, but then DE (and an excellent driving school put on by my dealer) intervened, and I got the bug hard, so less than 2 years later, I traded up to an 07 GT3-RS (the kids don't REALLY need to go to college, and if they want to go, I'm sure Obama will pay for it). Fortunately, my father didn't want the Targa to leave the family after driving it on the autobahn, so he purchased it from me, giving me "right of first refusal" allowing us to hopefully keep it in the family for years to come.

One of the side benefits of my father buying the Targa is that I had a few weekends with two Porsches sitting my garage. Who wouldn't take plenty of pics of that?

Next spring, I will put a roll bar, sports seats and a harness in the RS, but until then, it's my daily driver, fortunately, I have a pretty short commute, so I hardly notice the stiffer suspension (good thing I kept the Audi for Chicago winters).

Now that I've done the obligatory introduction post, I will feel free to participate in the off-topic discussion
funny... funnier...

What does that ramp do on the GT3 side?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for all the comments (and especially for noticing the Austin Powers reference - for good or bad, I use a lot of quotes from my favorite movies in every day situations).

I definitely plan on keeping the targa in the family for a long time. I have two boys, 8 and 4, and I definitely hope I can make sure each of them have a Porsche (once they turn 25 and the insurance falls to a merely unreasonable level).

I'm not smart enough to do use the quote function in replying, so I will have to do it manually...

leif997 asked "Where does the other garage door escape to?" - You have good eyes. We live in a close-suburb of Chicago, and most houses on our block use the alley behind the houses. We are one of only two houses on our block that use a driveway. We are not allowed to park cars on the street overnight, so having a driveway is great, except when we have house guests and I have to leave for work early requiring me to spend 15 minutes playing parking valet before I can go to work. This summer we rebuilt our garage because the original one was about to fall down, and we put garage doors on both sides so I can use the alley to come and go. My hope was a fringe benefit would be that it would save me from having to get out and move 47 bikes/toys out of the way before I could pull in the garage, but now the kids just park their bikes wherever they will be in my way. I now understand why my dad would just run my bike over if I left it parked in his spot.

wilfred asked "What does that ramp do on the GT3 side?" Ah, I was wondering if someone would notice that. Our old garage was a simple two car garage with no space to park an extra car (our yard is already so small that it takes me more time to put gas in the mower than it does to mow the entire yard). That meant I could only have one car because I didn't have a place to park a third car. When we rebuilt the garage, I had to fix that, but we didn't really have the square footage to build out, so we went up. We built a two story garage with storage on one side and with room for a lift on the other side. We went with a single post lift to minimize the vertical metal poles for my wife to run into. The garage will now hold three cars, which is a key reason why I could buy a car like the RS that I will not want to drive in a typical Chicago blizzard. It will also help me change the oil and do other regular maintenance without crawling on the ground.

Here are a couple of low quality pics of the lift (Sorry for the poor quality, took them from my cell phone the day the lift was installed).
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's something that scares me about single post lift..... It makes me think when I was a kid and they made you hold a dictionary at arms length.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Great story!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Not good, I never knew they had single post lift like that... I am also limited in space living in Los Angeles so this could mean I maybe able to add another car in the garage... This is also a lot cleaner looking than the 2 or 4 post lift, less commercial looking... Hmmm, I shouldn't have asked.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Where can I get that single post lift? I have been looking for one. Planning install in December.

Do they also come with the forks?
I plan on using it to change wheels and brake pads mostly, so not for drive on.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Excellent Introduction.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist ... where there is somebody with a bigger Porsche problem than you ...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Where can I get that single post lift? I have been looking for one. Planning install in December.
Here is the one I bought

http://www.aclifts.com/parking/M1-65...%20FOR%20QUOTE

My neighbor who has spent 3 or 4 years planning his garage rebuild just informed me that he is getting this one, which is MUCH better than mine

http://www.bendpak.com/bendpak-produ.../PL-6000X.aspx

There are others out there, but these are just the two on our little street in the People's Republic of Oak Park, IL
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Here I am, 4,000 posts later.

Technically, I know I'm over 4,000 posts as I've posed in a couple of threads that have disappeared, but it is the number on the counter that really matters.

I think it is safe to day, I am addicted to RennList, although, based solely on their average daily number of posts, not quite as bad as Hacker-Pschor or 95Juan, so I guess there is comfort in that.
Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Two super sharp cars. You should be proud. And btw, take the kids to Daytona Beach and tell them that's about all they'd remember from college anyway!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Love the two cars. Next for me, upgrade to a lift, then a RS :-)
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Allen welcome to 4000 posts. I made it past 600 today but still way behind you. When do you think you will be at Road America this summer. Hope to see you up there. Did you ever get hoses pinned or welded?

Tal

Quick Reply: Allow myself to introduce...