Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Going to sell my GT3 - Need help pricing it

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:52 PM
zmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to sell my GT3 - Need help pricing it

Well it happened quickly. I took the BMW CCA Club Racing School 10 days ago and got hooked. I committed that day to buying a race car and to sell my '07 GT3 , which is a painful decision, as I love the car and have had a blast upgrading it. But the decision was made and I have already landed a track car.

So my question is, what is my car worth? Here are the specs (as you can see, I bought it more for the road than for the track, but the sickness got the best of me):

Black / Black
Full leather
Upgraded stereo
7K miles
PCCB (only have a couple of track days on them)
Nav (wouldn't do that again)
Deviated (yellow) stitching

Now the fun part:

Moton Club Sport coil overs with Eibach springs (only used 3 times)
RSS Thrust arm bushing kit (front and rear)
RSS Monoball lower control arm kit (front and rear)
RSS Adjustable Toe Steer Kit
RSS Adjustable rear link kit
Sharkwerks bypass
Brembo floating, slotted front rotors and standard iron rear Porsche rotors
LWFW
Cobra Technology Suzuka Seats (carbon fiber)
Schroth 6 pt belts
GMG (yellow) roll bar
1 set of 19" wheels with new R888s
2 sets of 18" CCW wheels with R6s
Wired for Cool Shirt with mount under hood
Trackmate with ChaseCam

The car has been meticulously maintained, but it has spent most of its life on the track - other than the 1,500 of break in. It went off track once at VIR and bottomed out on the dirt. It has never had body damage. It has had clear bra on its since new fully covering the hood, lights, front quarter panels, and the front of the rear quarter panels.

I am still improving, but I turned a 1:35 flat at Road Atl during the club racing school. The car is seriously fast around the track.

So what is this worth? As you can surmise, I have a lot in the car in parts and $. Is it worth more sold as a stock car and selling off the parts or as the reliable DE car that it has been?

Having a little fun at T3 at Rd Atl

Last edited by zmann; 10-11-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove any and all parts you can so car is as close to stock as possible and shows no sign of track use, then sell those removed parts separately, you won't get them back in the price of the car. Expect car to sell at low to mid $80's...Then after you sell anywhere from $80-$85K, plus the $8k-$10k for your parts..you end up anywhere between $90K-$95K gross..

Rennlisters represent a gnats *** of the majority of P car owners out there and they understand the value of your car being set up already for track duty, however, 98% of GT3 owners never see a track and the common buyer can't get past the stigma of a "tracked" car and the feeling it has been ragged out. Not saying it's rational, but it's reality.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome car for right buyer!
I would part it out and list it stock with stock rims for $90k

you should have no trouble moving the parts and track rims

as is it is a tremendous value for the smart buyer at $99,999 IMHO

good luck and I would post a cross link in the de forum

she is a beauty
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

agree you will never get the value of things like motons and rims and such on the car. sell them to the right buyers in this forum, and then you can sell your car anywhere.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM
zmann
Instructor

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like parting it out is the right method. Seems like such a waste given how well set up it is.

How do you cross post in the DE section? I didn't even know there was a DE section??
Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

You have a really awesome car due in part to the color , options and track goodies.

You are best to advertize it bone stock and clean. You will need to install your stock carbon discs and disclose the LWFW and Thrust arm bushing kit along with the GMG roll bar which are included with the stock sale.
(This car bone stock will fetch $80k all day long.)

Offer the following 9 upgrade packages on top of purchase price to potential car buyers :
(once a deal is reached you can then figure out what needs to be removed from the car and sold sperately to other parties. Expect to discount these items by as much as 60% to close a deal)

1. Motons.

2. RSS Monoball lower control arm kit (front and rear)
RSS Adjustable Toe Steer Kit
RSS Adjustable rear link kit

3. Sharkwerks

4. Iron Rotors

5. Cobra Technology Suzuka Seats (carbon fiber)
Schroth 6 pt belts

6. 19" Track wheels

7. 18" track wheels

8. cool shirt

9. track mate - chasecam

(Liquidate what ever you have left over at end of sale.)

Based on the price of these parts, this should give you a good indication of what the car will sell for above stock depending on what parts go with the new owner.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
"Remove any and all parts you can so car is as close to stock as possible and shows no sign of track use..."

"...the common buyer can't get past the stigma of a "tracked" car and the feeling it has been ragged out. Not saying it's rational, but it's reality."
So the implication here is to try to sell a track car as a bone stocker in hopes of catching a unsuspecting "common buyer"?! Reality or no, I think that's pretty unethical.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nizer I don't agree with your conclusion. The seller isn't planning on not disclosing the fact that the car has been tracked. All he is doing is removing his good parts and selling them separately for a higher return. By doing this the car becomes less focused and therefor more appealing to the average buyer. There is nothing underhanded about this.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Greygt3: Never said the seller was planning to do so. I was questioning some of the advice being offered, which in some cases is clearly suggesting the seller should not be upfront about the car's history (see quotes).
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're gonna take bath on that decision no matter what.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nizer,

You are way off and that wasn't my point at all. The bone stocker appeals to a broader range of buyers, hence a greater chance to sell. Reality is the majority of P-car owners do not track their cars and although zmann has done a great job building the car, he won't see a return on his efforts unless he parts it out. Second point being the false stigma of a tracked car. Why lose money on the parts and raise a false red flag to a buyer? His car is probably in better conditon than most out there, my experience has been that folks who track their cars take better care of them than those who don't. Why scare off a potentially uneducated buyer before you have a chance to talk with them and educate them. I'm not suggesting hiding anything, nor did I clearly suggest it as you stated.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRG13
Nizer,

You are way off and that wasn't my point at all. The bone stocker appeals to a broader range of buyers, hence a greater chance to sell. Reality is the majority of P-car owners do not track their cars and although zmann has done a great job building the car, he won't see a return on his efforts unless he parts it out. Second point being the false stigma of a tracked car. Why lose money on the parts and raise a false red flag to a buyer? His car is probably in better conditon than most out there, my experience has been that folks who track their cars take better care of them than those who don't. Why scare off a potentially uneducated buyer before you have a chance to talk with them and educate them. I'm not suggesting hiding anything, nor did I clearly suggest it as you stated.
DRG13: You call the stigma of a tracked false. Others might call it true. I know if I purchased a car that was purported to be stock but had in fact been heavily modified and spent the majority of it's time on the track, and later found this to be the case, I'd be pretty unhappy. Whether or not a track car is better maintained or not, or has a false stigma or not has no bearing and I'm not arguing either way on this.

My point is just be upfront with the buyer and I think any reasonable reader of your original advice would question whether that was the intention. Peace out.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM
zmann
Instructor

I am clearly a full disclosure guy. Whether I get a lower value for the car or not, I will disclose it's history.

as to the theory that 98% of the 3s don't see track use, I read an article in either Panorama or Excellence that said something like 60% of them are driven on the track. I certainly see a lot of them there.

The net of the this "conversation" seems to be that parting it out makes the most sense. Agreed?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

yes -- part it out for greater return IMHO
Always a better idea but far more hassle.

If you can get someone to pay .50 per $1 of upgrade and buy the complete package (car and parts as is), I would take the money and run and get on to your racing career... the emails/pm messages, price haggling, shipping, removal and reinstall of stock parts, etc... all a pain in the a*&...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Parting it out assures you of recouping some of those costs. Nothing unethical about this decision.

Quick Reply: Going to sell my GT3 - Need help pricing it