Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help on PCM3 video playback

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on PCM3 video playback

On the Gen 2 GT3, I specced the car with PCM3, partly because on the price list document, it claimed:

PCM Including Navigation Module:
CD/DVD drive supporting playback of Audio/Video DVD's and tracks in MP3 format.

CD/ DVD autochanger:
Supports playback of music on audio/video DVD's and in MP3 format

Now, this suggests that there should be some form of video playback through the PCM unit. Given that the PCM3 comes with TV module on all other Porsches (excluded for some strange reason on the GT3), the playback of video appears to be a software limitation, rather than a hardware one. I hasten to add also that my manual on the PCM3 claims DVD playback supports audio only.

I'm sure I've been misled in the marketing material into believing video playback was included (would have been great on the many occassions I'm sat in the car on the eurotunnel, etc) but I have to say, it's not a deal breaker.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Maybe I should cross post on the other Carrera forum.

p.s. before the witch hunt starts, I'm well aware of this cars raison d'etre
Old 10-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blow Dog
On the Gen 2 GT3, I specced the car with PCM3, partly because on the price list document, it claimed:

PCM Including Navigation Module:
CD/DVD drive supporting playback of Audio/Video DVD's and tracks in MP3 format.

CD/ DVD autochanger:
Supports playback of music on audio/video DVD's and in MP3 format

Now, this suggests that there should be some form of video playback through the PCM unit. Given that the PCM3 comes with TV module on all other Porsches (excluded for some strange reason on the GT3), the playback of video appears to be a software limitation, rather than a hardware one. I hasten to add also that my manual on the PCM3 claims DVD playback supports audio only.

I'm sure I've been misled in the marketing material into believing video playback was included (would have been great on the many occassions I'm sat in the car on the eurotunnel, etc) but I have to say, it's not a deal breaker.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Maybe I should cross post on the other Carrera forum.

p.s. before the witch hunt starts, I'm well aware of this cars raison d'etre
If you're in the UK, I would have thought the TV option would be available. The definitions you've posted read, to me, as if the thing is designed to play the audio of various video disc formats (not including the video.)

Sounds like a "golden screwdriver" where the factory disables functionality for some reason, but a savvy tech at a dealership might be able to use the diagnostics service tool ("PIWIS") to cajole the various electronics into cooperating.

While I hope to get an RS this time and I think the new Nav is very good, I don't think it's worth the US $5K+ necessary to buy all the pieces. If the thing would play video when the car is stationary, I'd be sorely tempted. Perhaps the novelty would expire pretty quickly though.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"PCM Including Navigation Module:
CD/DVD drive supporting playback of Audio/Video DVD's and tracks in MP3 format."

Could be interpreted as referring to the audio portion of DVD-Video, and DVD-Audio...the latter the rather short lived 24/192 2 channel and 24/96 Surround audio only format that competed against SACD.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:39 PM
imalek
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi. Low,

there must be a function to enable, so video can start.

Quick Reply: Help on PCM3 video playback