Tightening Roll-Cage Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 AM
adamr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightening Roll-Cage Bolts?

On a 997 GTRS with rollcage, regarding the tightening of the rollcage bolts

What precautions should i take when doing this?
can the bolts be tightend too much?
should i even bother doing this (was advised by someone to do so after he went for a drive in my car)

if tightening the bolts on the roll-cage is the norm and something that has to be checked every now and again ... how often do you guys do this check?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adamr
On a 997 GTRS with rollcage, regarding the tightening of the rollcage bolts

What precautions should i take when doing this?
can the bolts be tightend too much?
should i even bother doing this (was advised by someone to do so after he went for a drive in my car)

if tightening the bolts on the roll-cage is the norm and something that has to be checked every now and again ... how often do you guys do this check?
You should certainly get a wrench/spanner on every point of the cage (and the rest of the car) before and after each track day. Especially known points like the strut tops. And a visual inspection of paint marks (to indicate a nut or bolt has not moved at a suspension alignment point for example.) Well worth having a qualified shop do this sort of recurring safety check even on a new car.

As for the roll bar, if it's the factory bar, you'll have a lot of nuts and bolts to check. I imagine there's factory information on the installation and assembly of the bar to indicate the torque specifications. The dealer will have access to this information. If it's an aftermarket bar like a DAS Sport, they'll have specs.

Over-tightening is a risk. Crushing a tube is an expensive mistake and will weaken the structure. Excessive torque will also weaken hardware or cause fatigue or stress.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
adamr
Advanced

That is very informative, thank you carrera gt ... It is a factory rollcage... Nothing in the user manual regarding torque settings. Will drop the dealer an email and ask them. Think i might need to invest in a torque wrench. I tightened them up but not very tight, just firm in case i mess up something ...
Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM
adamr
Advanced

maybe somone on the forums knows of the torque settings to use.

Quick Reply: Tightening Roll-Cage Bolts?