Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyR
Record is now 6:48 for a roadcar.

Radical drove a car from England over to the 'ring and set that laptime without changing a single thing on the car.

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/new...story-part-one

The trip video is here:

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetev..._the_ring.html

The lap video is here:

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetev...ap_record.html

I have friends who drive these and other similar cars on the road, such as Ariel Atoms and KTM X-Bow, but they clearly are not as usable on a daily basis as a Porsche or a Corvette etc........ mentally fast though....
Much as I appreciate the Radical as a "mental" track car, (and you'd have to be mental to drive it on the track, let alone the road, rolling around below the sight line of drivers in conventional sports cars weighing twice as much as twice as high off the ground) I just don't understand why the Radical people persist with this "Nurburgring record" marketing of the car as a road registered "production" car.

Sure enough, the road registration requirements are pretty lax in the UK for these track toys to get on the road with just a set of turn signals, but to say that the Radical has anything to do with a 911 in terms of lap times or classifying cars for lap records, is just nonsense -- Porsche might as well do a lap in the RS Spider, slap some blinkers (turn signals) on it and declare another "production" car record.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

+1
Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Much as I appreciate the Radical as a "mental" track car, (and you'd have to be mental to drive it on the track, let alone the road, rolling around below the sight line of drivers in conventional sports cars weighing twice as much as twice as high off the ground) I just don't understand why the Radical people persist with this "Nurburgring record" marketing of the car as a road registered "production" car.

Sure enough, the road registration requirements are pretty lax in the UK for these track toys to get on the road with just a set of turn signals, but to say that the Radical has anything to do with a 911 in terms of lap times or classifying cars for lap records, is just nonsense -- Porsche might as well do a lap in the RS Spider, slap some blinkers (turn signals) on it and declare another "production" car record.
Fully agree, plus even in racecar trim, it is extremely uncomfortable to race at the track with Radicals if you are driving normal Tin Top car. A slight mistake from either driver can be life threatening for the Radical driver. Those small very low prototypes should run on their own at the track or with small open wheel cars
Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM
AlexGil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Sport Auto with Horst V.S sets the lap times, he has no other cars on the track. I was at the Sport Auto perfection training when he was setting the Nissan GT-R lap, and they did not allow anyone else on the track.
I heard the difference from the 997.2 GT3 to the new RS was only 2 seconds..
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I totally agree with your sentiment, there's a world of difference between a true production roadcar such a CGT, 997GT2, Enzo, ZR1 etc and some of the other cars that claim records (which includes many tuned Porsches which are virtual race-cars and the stripped Viper ACR, Gumperts and Donkevoorts etc).

Just to be clear though Sport Auto do accept this car and the car is now certified under regulations that mean it is fully road-legal for the whole of Europe.

Just thought you guys would be interested in a car that can be driven on the roads that laps in well under 7 minutes.

Also remember that on most track-days in the UK there always a mix of Lotus, Caterhams and Radicals etc in amongst the Porkers, Ferraris etc. These types of cars are very common in the UK, where most peoples family car is a Ford Focus, not a Suburban

Quick Reply: No RS Ring time yet?