Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile A few shots of the 2010 GT3 tuning on ze dyno

Hey fellas, we're still working on the video for this but a while back we spent some time with Todd@EVOMS tuning our 2010 997GT3 and in the meantime here's a few shots

On the way to the dyno... we brought Kermit along for some "extra-curricular activities":

Strapped on and ready to go:

Running along..

Checking some scores...

With interest...

We made around 60+ pulls throughout the day with various configurations, and Todd made adjustments to the EVOMSit software throughout the day. We also used this time to dyno our upcoming SharkWerks 997 GT3 Track Exhaust system.

Here are the results. The top line is what the car put down with the Track exhaust and the EVOMSit software. The bottom line is the baseline.

We were most interested in the delta, or difference after the fine tuning and exhaust swap, to see what changes were made to the car's power curve as Todd continued to tinker with the ECU.

Here's another graph, showing the result with software alone as well (in middle position):

The tuning involves a more aggressive fuel map, timing advance optimization for specific grades of fuel, and a more responsive accelerator pedal.

A summary:
With software only, the 2010 GT3 went from 392 RWHP to 404 RWHP at the peak. The car gained about this much horsepower for most of its RPM range.
The car gained over 10 ft-lb of torque at its peak around 6600 RPM and more torque throughout the RPM range.

With the exhaust and software, the gains were higher, bringing it up to 414 RWHP at the peak (22 RWHP net gain), more torque at the peak, and a large gain in torque between 3700 and 5400 RPMs.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKzxbQbHQM

There is more about the EVOMSit software tuning process here, and a video coming soon.

Before leaving the track (Sears Point) had to get some good gas to go

Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Badass..... I always look forward to you posting something interesting.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Percentage increases and the linear gains (across the rpm range) are just amazing, it looks like someone just drew on the curves by hand and said "wouldn't this be cool?!"
I wonder what happens if you let it spin over the (current) redline?
If those power and torque curves were stock charts, I'd say "buy!"
Has anyone got an idea on what rpm that stock engine could withstand? Is the 3.9 that much stronger or running more cooling or oiling?
It seems to me that Porsche could eventually take that engine to 10K rpm -- it looks like they've built it to make power way past 8K, as if the electronics are tailoring the power to suit the redline, not as a consequence of intake or exhaust limits. How did you arrive at the rev limit on the 3.9 kit?
I think we should all start dreaming of a 10K rpm redline (and some of us might also dream of PDK in that perfect lap ...)
Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I take it the dyno spins up the fronts just because it's an AWD dyno, but does the car need to "see" the fronts turning or it gets upset?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Badass..... I always look forward to you posting something interesting.
Thanks ritzblitz... I've got some really cool video footage of the tuning process (you know the so-called "black-magic") from the RS as well which I'll post real soon It'll show some neat stuff like the emulator installed/running....

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Percentage increases and the linear gains (across the rpm range) are just amazing, it looks like someone just drew on the curves by hand and said "wouldn't this be cool?!"
I wonder what happens if you let it spin over the (current) redline?
If those power and torque curves were stock charts, I'd say "buy!"
Has anyone got an idea on what rpm that stock engine could withstand? Is the 3.9 that much stronger or running more cooling or oiling?
It seems to me that Porsche could eventually take that engine to 10K rpm -- it looks like they've built it to make power way past 8K, as if the electronics are tailoring the power to suit the redline, not as a consequence of intake or exhaust limits. How did you arrive at the rev limit on the 3.9 kit?
I think we should all start dreaming of a 10K rpm redline (and some of us might also dream of PDK in that perfect lap ...)
Thanks Adam! We actually played with the intake and exhaust cams tables this time as well... Not to mention all the usual stuff. The 2010 uses the 997TT ECU as a result and there's even more to play with In terms of rpm the way the car is set up with the cams we found no power gain beyond the stock rev limiter on the 2010. The same for the 3.6 cars. All that happened is the power would continue to drop off quite sharply (after 8K is where it starts to) so we were spinning it for no reason. This was actually great info/data for us way back when because it gave us some clues on the cam-work necessary to actually keep on going and making power.... You'll see in the video (shortly- the wife is editing using her 30K BollyWood AVID station) but we actually peaked at around 8K and the car keeps pulling all the way to 8800 at which point it's ONLY 5hp below the peak:P She rips in that spot... We aimed for for around that spot... any more cam profiling and she wouldn't idle too well so we figured that was the best trade off for a daily driver etc... There's more behind the scenes and that has to do with weight management... or "loss" I should say. The 3.8L Mahle pistons are heavier than the 3.6L Mahle (and the wrist pins etc...) but our set up at 3.9 is actually even _lighter_ than the stock 3.6L - all good for moving up in those high revs:P Porsche would need to do some work on lightening the Mahle's, perhaps even some crank work () and a few other tricks here and there.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I take it the dyno spins up the fronts just because it's an AWD dyno, but does the car need to "see" the fronts turning or it gets upset?
It's a mechanically linked mustang AWD dyno and these cars (and dynos) typically cause a fuss and give eronious data with only the rear wheels spinning so it's best to do it this way. The drive-train loss and correction factor actually work out nicely on this set up and the stock pulls were converted to 435hp which is spot on.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

I notice that there's no feed to the ram air on the trunk. Have you ever tried to simulate the intake impact at speed?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
I notice that there's no feed to the ram air on the trunk. Have you ever tried to simulate the intake impact at speed?
Short of a wind tunnel, I imagine just the gale coming out of the cooling duct at the front of the dyno is enough to at least mean the engine isn't sitting in heated air.

I believe there are actual-vs-adjusted tables to compensate for ram-air effect (eg. 1 psi gain in ambient, 1 deg temperature density) but I doubt the tuner could take advantage of these since they're always dialing the car back to make it survive on the street. I imagine you full well understand the variables of fuel quality, altitude ... a hot track day or a blast through Colorado.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a pretty significant drop in torque below 3700 RPM. Is that the muffler, or software driving that?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sws1
Seems like a pretty significant drop in torque below 3700 RPM. Is that the muffler, or software driving that?
I think you're looking at the chart with the track exhaust, right? If so there's a small loss down low with that set up. At the track that won't be an issue. For the most part we still recommend our bypass which has no loss anywhere but doesn't save the same 58 pounds.

Last edited by sharkster; 09-20-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: A few shots of the 2010 GT3 tuning on ze dyno