Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 MkII vs GT3 RS MkI

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
The takeaway here is that you can't go wrong with any GT3.

I suspect most of us could make the best part of that up with a day spent with a good instructor and some telemetry, or just plain growing a bigger pair.
Amen! At some point most people have to stop buying car performance and just buy seat time to learn to get the most out of their car. I would bet that most people out there are not being held back by their car, but rather the car is being held back by their driver.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Bear in mind that if the new RS takes 10sec out of the standard GT3 at Ring, which would be a big number, that still only equates to about a 2% faster lap. I suspect most of us could make the best part of that up with a day spent with a good instructor and some telemetry, or just plain growing a bigger pair.
I agree with you, even ten seconds isn't that big a number, however some food for thought is that if it is ten seconds faster the difference between a 7.2 GT3 and RS would be the same as the difference between a 6.2 GT3 and 7.2 GT3 since a 6.2 GT3 with MPSCs can do 7:49 and a 7.2 GT3 does 7:40.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Not night and day, but the grip differences alone would mean more than a slight edge, wouldn't they? Of course if you put 245s and 325s (or better yet 265s on 9 or 9.5s and 325s on the 12s) on your 2010 gt3 you'd close a lot of the difference. However stock for stock I'd guess 1 second faster than the standard model GT3 per minute which is not insignificant.

I mean 15 hp isn't much, but it will drop lap times, so will more downforce, better gearing, lower weight, and more ultimate grip. This car seems to have all of these things and no longer do any of them seem like marketing gimmicks, they actually seem like mirror images of the effective modifications tuners like cargraphic did which produced easily measurable gains.
I think the MK1 GT3/RS are brilliant cars and it is hard to imagine what Porsche can do to make them better other than the obvious: more power, grip (tires and downforce and suspension tuning), better brakes. Well, that is exactly what they did. They did not ruin the cars, but only made them better...BUT, these enhancements are still very minor in my book and can easily be done to an MK1 without warranty issues (some of which you mentioned). How many here run 9" front wheels for track use with more rubber up front? How many use the Cup front lip spoiler for more downforce (cheaper too), and some kind of brake upgrade even if it is just race pads for the track? These are all common wear items that get replaced anyway on a regular basis if you track your GT3 on a regular basis.

If you don't mind buying a used GT3, then an MK1 is a heck of a deal compared to a new MK2 at or close to MSRP. But if you must have a new car, then the MK2 is a smokin' deal with REAL uprgrades over the MK1 (not just marketing fluff). But don't expect to blow past an MK1 with one on the track. Driver skill level differences are more likely to be greater than the performance difference of these two great cars. And if that skill level is higher with the MK1 driver, then only a slightly better driver would be enough to equalize the cars on the track, and an even higher ability should easily put the MK1 out ahead. Even better, I think that individual driver inconsistencies (driving the same GT3) will result in greater lap time differences than what a pro can extract from the MK2 over the MK1.

And all of this also applies to the performance advantage of the new RS over the new GT3. The advantage is there, but it will only be seen on paper and extracted by a pro.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 AM
jokke_vlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I am selling my 2010 Lotus Exige Cup 260 (no accidents) and heavily thinking about which GT3 to buy in second hand.

A recent GT3 MKII or GT3RS MKI.
I just love (already some time) the MKI RS, but (call me ***** ) the esp on the GT3II when using in rainy conditions, gives me some doubts.

The performance issue was already discussed above and makes it clear to me. Just learn to drive better....
Old 11-14-2010, 02:58 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum my friend

The most useful GT3 forum I have found for trackers like you and me

Quick Reply: GT3 MkII vs GT3 RS MkI