Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Post EVOMSit Software for 2010 997 GT3, dyno graphs and video inside

Hey guys,

Todd Zuccone from Evolution Motorsports was visiting our shop this week, so we decided it was a good time to dyno test and tune our 2010 GT3 project car.

We drove the car to Stasis Engineering (an Audi Tuner, located at Infineon Raceway) and reserved the dyno for the whole day. I'll tell you now, there's nothing quite like sitting in a room for 8 hours while a GT3 motor is taken to 8500 RPMs.

We made around 60 pulls throughout the day with various configurations, and Todd made adjustments to the EVOMSit software throughout the day. We also used this time to dyno our upcoming SharkWerks 997 GT3 Track Exhaust system.

Here are the results. The top line is what the car put down with the Track exhaust and the EVOMSit software. The bottom line is the baseline.

Note that Stasis' dyno accounts for a very small drivetrain loss when run in AWD mode (and the Porsche running RWD in this case). We were most interested in the delta, or difference after the fine tuning and exhaust swap, to see what changes were made to the car's power curve as Todd continued to tinker with the ECU.

Here's another graph, showing the result with software alone as well (in middle position):

The tuning involves a more aggressive fuel map, timing advance optimization for specific grades of fuel, and a more responsive accelerator pedal.

A summary:
With software only, the 2010 GT3 went from 392 RWHP to 404 RWHP at the peak. The car gained about this much horsepower for most of its RPM range.
The car gained over 10 ft-lb of torque at its peak around 6600 RPM and more torque throughout the RPM range.

With the exhaust and software, the gains were higher, bringing it up to 414 RWHP at the peak (22 RWHP net gain), more torque at the peak, and a large gain in torque between 3700 and 5400 RPMs.

You will notice a drop in torque at lower RPMs (below 3500) with the Track exhaust due to the greatly reduced back pressure, but there is a significant increase in torque after this point and horsepower throughout the RPM range. We still recommend our Street Bypass setup for most owners for several reasons, including that it does not lose torque like this (and it doesn't set off car alarms, cause your dog to run away, etc.).

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKzxbQbHQM

There is more about the EVOMSit software tuning process here, and a video coming soon.

I will be out of town for a couple weeks, but please PM Alex (Sharkster) or email alex@sharkwerks.com for pricing on this product. It is available now (product page). The price is $1495.

Thanks,
-Dan
PS - Our street exhaust (SharkWerks GT3 Bypass) adds less power (5 RWHP) than the Track version, but does not lose torque below 3500 RPMs.

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 08-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Next time you do that, can I "buy" time to tune a 993 Turbo?

ps. Alex ... I thought you were going to remind me when you did this tuning session ... grumble ...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:40 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,

Now that you figured out how to tune it. How about putting a set of the EVOMS cams (with exhaust cam setup for variocam plus) and tuning the 2010? After seeing what you got out of Kermit, this is what I have been really curious to see.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Next time you do that, can I "buy" time to tune a 993 Turbo?

ps. Alex ... I thought you were going to remind me when you did this tuning session ... grumble ...
Hey Adam... I'm a butthead But the good news is we're going to do this more and more. I do really need to show you the emulator etc... Cool stuff. We took a lot of video so I promise it'll be like you were there. Minus the nasty gases!

On the 933TT, I think we could figure something out for sure Come by next week anyways and see what you think of the RS tho.

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Dan,

Now that you figured out how to tune it. How about putting a set of the EVOMS cams (with exhaust cam setup for variocam plus) and tuning the 2010? After seeing what you got out of Kermit, this is what I have been really curious to see.
Hehe... talked about that. Having said that we'd need to do a lot of work again because the profiles would be very different. It's coming
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys now that the software is officially released don't forget we also have a DIY guide on the ECU removal/re-install process. Easy as pie:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html
Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking back at your dynos on ZKERMIT with the old 3.8l build and comparing it to the 2010. Surprisingly, the graphs are very close when comparing the EVOMsit/muffler bypass on the MKII 3.8l with the MKI 3.8l build. It would be interesting to see them overlayed on top of each other. It looks like a little more torque on the MKI build and more power on the MKII. Overall, they were very equal.

I think the next 2 upgrades would be an intake kit and cams. With the new RS, Porsche said they get a 15 hp power gain from the new dual inlet airbox. Are you looking at an intake air box upgrade? I figure if what Porsche is telling us is true, you should be over 425 rwhp with a better intake. From the recent KZERMIT build up, I suspect the cams with give 50hp+ more.

This is really amazing when you consider how highly tuned this engine is to start with that it still has so much more potential. I remember when it was magical to hit 1 hp/cu in. With these upgrades, they are already over 2 hp/cu in and going higher. That is simply incredible.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I was looking back at your dynos on ZKERMIT with the old 3.8l build and comparing it to the 2010. Surprisingly, the graphs are very close when comparing the EVOMsit/muffler bypass on the MKII 3.8l with the MKI 3.8l build. It would be interesting to see them overlayed on top of each other. It looks like a little more torque on the MKI build and more power on the MKII. Overall, they were very equal.

I think the next 2 upgrades would be an intake kit and cams. With the new RS, Porsche said they get a 15 hp power gain from the new dual inlet airbox. Are you looking at an intake air box upgrade? I figure if what Porsche is telling us is true, you should be over 425 rwhp with a better intake. From the recent KZERMIT build up, I suspect the cams with give 50hp+ more.

This is really amazing when you consider how highly tuned this engine is to start with that it still has so much more potential. I remember when it was magical to hit 1 hp/cu in. With these upgrades, they are already over 2 hp/cu in and going higher. That is simply incredible.
Good spot there... and actually down low we made a bit more power with our 3.8 but likely due to the tuning. The weights were the same so we couldn't make much more up top and so the "peak" power was actually the same With our 3.9 we were able to go lighter and also we introduced some slick cam work:P

Quick Reply: EVOMSit Software for 2010 997 GT3, dyno graphs and video inside