From "Rat ****" to a "Rat's Ass"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From "Rat ****" to a "Rat's ***"

I couldn't give a rat's *** about the color combinations available, I am more interested in the finer details about performance and the hidden "goodies" that will be uncovered.

I can agonize with the best of them over color choices and can worry about that when/if I have a chance to order one. I remember when people wouldn't buy the RS America because it had graphics and a big fixed wing. Nothing new, some guys need the WAF, and this car is not going to get it from some.

It seems like a truly "specialty" car, and people are carping about color? Give me a break!

Let's get the performance sleuths to tickle our fancy about the delights built into this baby!

I'll start.. why no ceramics in the photo, Subtle message or new option?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a guess on the brakes but I think they want it to look like a Cup Car or RSR in the marketing pieces and the Cup Car is on steel brakes.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:58 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

It's hilarious to see a bunch of dudes turning into chicks and discussing color combinations on a car that is meant to kick ***. "OMG! The yellow caliperth are going to clash!"

Is there going to be a discussion on which dress goes best with the GT3 RS?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can spin it any which way, but it's still ugly paint.

For all the high expectations of a radical car with RSR suspension, it's turned out to be an incremental car that diminishes the RS name as being something that's available every two years and will suffer the same depreciation as every other 911. Extra horsepower and shorter gears don't justify a new RS. I think the stick-on wheel arch extensions show the "built to a budget" nature of the car. And if you drive it less than 600 miles/month, Porsche will blame you for any mechanical issues that crop up.

As for the calipers, I think they wanted red calipers on the red themed car, but the CCBs will still be the bee's knees.

The garish colors are a talking point for lack of anything inspirational about the car. It's surely a monster track car that, for a measly $132K, will allow even moderately competent drivers to turn respectable lap times with the air conditioning on. As I posted in the "rat ****" thread, I'll take one in white without the "look at me" Rat **** stickers. : )
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

so seriously. would you just buy the non-RS verison?

1. Weight is not much different. This may be explained by the titanium exhaust.
2. Wider front and rear, it's a good thing.
3. Standard sport-bucket seats.
4. Is the suspension the same as the GT3?

I'm thinking GT3...
Old 08-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

I dont think there is RSR suspension, just wider front and rear.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd

I'm thinking GT3...
As ever, once you bolt on all the bits to take the GT3 up to the RS spec, you spend more money and you don't have the whole car, the wide body or the resale percentages.

At $132K plus, compared to maybe $90K for a 997.1 GT3 ... why not a 3.9 kit from Sharkwerks and run rings around the RS guy?

I think the financial lesson here is to buy new GT's "early" in the model life and sell early into the high point of the model life before the reality check hits.

This RS will show up in limited numbers, dealers will spec them in silly, excessive froufrou options and gouge the "first kid on the block" suckers. If you have a relationship with an ethical dealer, order a low option car with ceramics, GT2 seats (which seem to have a heat button option now) and the Li battery. Don't get one of the "cat puke" colors. Do sell it before it loses its premium.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,960 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd

I'm thinking GT3...
GT3 may be better for you, but you are leaving the lower/closer gearing out of your analysis which should make a very big performance difference (and cannot be cheaply replicated with GT3).
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I couldn't give a rat's *** about the color combinations available, I am more interested in the finer details about performance and the hidden "goodies" that will be uncovered.

I can agonize with the best of them over color choices and can worry about that when/if I have a chance to order one. I remember when people wouldn't buy the RS America because it had graphics and a big fixed wing. Nothing new, some guys need the WAF, and this car is not going to get it from some.

It seems like a truly "specialty" car, and people are carping about color? Give me a break!

Let's get the performance sleuths to tickle our fancy about the delights built into this baby!

I'll start.. why no ceramics in the photo, Subtle message or new option?
I totally agree!!!

This car is meant for driving, in which it will surely be another brilliant execution.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
RSA333
Racer

Not a bad car. 450 bhp at 3015 lbs, with shorter gearing. Wonder why they thought they had to make it look garish?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

RS buyers are RS buyers. they usually do not compared what the RS has vs. what the GT3 has. they just want RS.

color is fine.
dont like graphics? rip it out.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
RS buyers are RS buyers. they usually do not compared what the RS has vs. what the GT3 has. they just want RS.

color is fine.
dont like graphics? rip it out.
Would have to agree with this statement...100%

Quick Reply: From "Rat ****" to a "Rat's Ass"