Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chip to improve throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chip to improve throttle response?

Hi,

I just finished putting 2500+ miles on my "new to me" 08 RS. Can anyone recommend a chip/reprogramming that makes the throttle react to the pedal inputs more like it is attached?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to SharkWerks; they are a board sponsor. They have a clubsport package which deletes your center muffler (you will still have 2 more!) and reflashes your ECU. This removes about 18 lbs from the rear of your RS, and the reflash is tuned for the center muffler delete. As for throttle response, the tune makes the throttle response of the sport button turned ON as the default throttle response. Then when you hit the sport button, the throttle response gets even better (probably exactly what you are looking for), but it also makes wonderful exhaust notes AND your car will make more hp and torque as icing on the cake! I think the package also comes with a high flow, washable BMC filter.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

LWFW
Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by roberga
LWFW
+1 ^ Good answer!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS has the LWFW guys... Surprised his car seems to be lacking response, GT3 rs revs fly!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:17 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by iLLM3
RS has the LWFW guys... Surprised his car seems to be lacking response, GT3 rs revs fly!
Duh, you are right; he did mention he has an RS.

Yes the revs fly, but he is talking about the reaction of egas throttle. The SharkWerks/Evo clubsport package with the reflash does address this issue (I personally do not find it an issue, but apparently some do) and makes the Egas throttle response even better as I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:34 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don´t think there is anything wrong with the throttle reaction on a GT3, which is what I have, and that should be even better on the RS due to the fly wheel.

On the other hand, I have wondered myself many times in different situations why it is that the engine suddenly takes such a long time to react to my input. It has happened to me many times when downshifting.

Over the last two years I have slowly realized that it happens only when I let the revs fall too low before going for a lower gear, or when I am downshifting at low revs, which is basically the same thing.

I realized that when I get hard on the car in the very next turn and downshift with a blip from any revs over roughly 4500, the response couldn´t be better.

If that is what you are experiencing, maybe the fix is just this simple. I don´t think we can expect any road engine to go from idle to 5000 rpm in a second.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Yea sorry, I did not see it was an RS. I now have no good answer.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'd have to get Sharkwerks/EVOMS to dial in more ramp/attack. Not particularly expensive, but I imagine you'd want to consider any warranty implications.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks guys and we can/do adjust the throttle maps etc... although I have to admit nobody has said the RS even in stock form is numb
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=157
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

So Alex ... what about a group-buy on the 3.9 kit for us humble 997.1 GT3 owners baulking at the prospect of a $50K delta to get into the new RS? : )
Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
So Alex ... what about a group-buy on the 3.9 kit for us humble 997.1 GT3 owners baulking at the prospect of a $50K delta to get into the new RS? : )

A group buy sounds like a great idea! All we need is about ten of us to put in $2,500.00 each, and then have the upgrade done to my GT3. I will do testing and provide feedback for the rest of the group. It is usually difficult to find a guinea pig, but I am willing to make the sacrifice.

Is that what you meant?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks. I just talked to Alex at SharkWerks and it sounds like his reprogrammed ECU will do what I'm looking for.

The engine response is fine, once it starts responding. My other cars have either had throttle cables attached to carburetors, or (2000 & 2001 Boxster S) were chipped to feel like it. When you blip the throttle, the revs jump... not so this car.

Thanks, and sorry for any confusion my question may have caused.

Steve
Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Hi guys,

Thanks. I just talked to Alex at SharkWerks and it sounds like his reprogrammed ECU will do what I'm looking for.

The engine response is fine, once it starts responding. My other cars have either had throttle cables attached to carburetors, or (2000 & 2001 Boxster S) were chipped to feel like it. When you blip the throttle, the revs jump... not so this car.

Thanks, and sorry for any confusion my question may have caused.

Steve
Hey Steve, great talking to you too and I think some of us are just more used to having a real connection and throttle cable vs this e-gas stuff. The E-gas makes cars a lot "easier" to drive but one could argue you're not as directly connected anymore. This was actually one of the reasons I searched long and hard for a 1999 C2 with non-Egas to build as a track car:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-ca...e-and-ruf.html

For any of you guys needing a DIY on ECU removal: http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

Originally Posted by 340Elise
A group buy sounds like a great idea! All we need is about ten of us to put in $2,500.00 each, and then have the upgrade done to my GT3. I will do testing and provide feedback for the rest of the group. It is usually difficult to find a guinea pig, but I am willing to make the sacrifice.

Is that what you meant?
Hehe... there you go I think we actually tried to keep things reasonable at 24.9K including all the parts and install:P

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You've gotta come by for a spin sometime. I'd love to see what you think/feel about it Because for 25K installed, personally I'd take the .1 car. The .2 is nice and all but not 50K nicer.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
You've gotta come by for a spin sometime. I'd love to see what you think/feel about it Because for 25K installed, personally I'd take the .1 car. The .2 is nice and all but not 50K nicer.
I'm looking at the new RS and the GT3. I am sorely tempted to go "big" in my .1 rather than throw money into the tax and gas guzzler furnace (and wait until next year's track season to have fun with the RS.) The .1 is a muscle car by 911 standards, no question, but the only thing the .1 lacks is some extra oomph to romp down the straights and match the pace of cars it bests in the turns. It's like driving a 415hp "momentum" car against 450/500/600hp "point and squirt" cars. Every time I get in the 993 Turbo (in 2WD, K24's about 500hp) I wish the GT3 had some torque and maybe a few extra neddies to get down the straights.

And let me know when you have the part numbers for the new suspension parts. We now know the factory didn't change the chassis or the body, so the control arms are a bolt-on. And the gearbox marketing is just a different cog in 6th ... that's just inexplicable marketing nonsense. I guess when Porsche was a few billion Euros in debt (dangerously overextended from failed attempts to buy VW) and about to miss their interest payment, it was understandably hard for R&D to get funding to test a bespoke close-ratio box. So here we are looking at the last actual Porsche built by Porsche as a private, family-owned company. The next RS is a VW. Simple as that. Maybe I should buy the last ever Porsche RS ... no doubt the next "VW" RS will have an Audi steering wheel ... wait ... the GT3 and RS already have an ugly steering wheel ...

: )

Quick Reply: Chip to improve throttle response?