Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is this Fair? Dissed by Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
leed012
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I walked away... I know it was a GT3 but it's a matter of principle. On my way to California to meet up with friends at the Monterey Historics and to check out Porsches 60th Anniversary display. Already scouting to find another car. Made some contacts with porsche salesman who I've met at past porsche training and dealers who want the sale.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leed012
I walked away... I know it was a GT3 but it's a matter of principle. On my way to California to meet up with friends at the Monterey Historics and to check out Porsches 60th Anniversary display. Already scouting to find another car. Made some contacts with porsche salesman who I've met at past porsche training and dealers who want the sale.
Good call. As a previous poster said, even when buying a Honda, the dealer should treat you with respect and show appreciation for your business - especially in today's economic reality.
You'll find another one - and even if you don't get it right away, you could always wait 1 year and pick up someone's garage queen after the depreciation sets in...
Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

It's unexcusable. Tell them to pound sand, regardless of the fact that they are the only dealer on the island. I'd order one from the mainland, you can get a discount, perhaps enough to offset the shipping costs. I'd pay a premium just to drive by their dealership and show them the finger, figuratively speaking of course.

When I bought my 2010 my dealer treated me with respect, albeit with a good measure of spirited haggling, gave me a discount off of MSRP, a hat, a shirt, a book, a keychain, and 20% off on my new PS2 tires and installation. They support our local PCA, often hosting events at significant cost and generally make you want to buy a car from them. There are good dealers out there. BTW, I'm no fool. Did they make money off of me, hell yes, but I'd buy another car from them in a heartbeat.

As a customer you deserve to be treated right, even better when you are spending over $100K on a purchase. "F" them!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leeds....check your PM
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by leed012
I remember once being told while approaching to negotiate the price for an ordered car, I presented it to the desk and they told me, "Isn't that putting the cart before the horse...?" We'll take a look when the car arrives.
I thought at that point it's good to politely say that you can find another dealer to order from. Putting off the details for an ordered car only helps them.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

price should be negotiated prior to car showing up.
if by consideration, you mean free floor mats, key chains and such, then the dealer is wrong. they dont have to give you anything, but they should be nice about it, not "there are ppl waiting in line to buy the car". this sales person lacks ppl skills period.

some ppl really shouldn't be in sales. purchase is an experience to be savored. if i spend money, i want my *** to be kissed. you should down load "pretty women" and show him that scene when richard gear took her to the shop and basically told the manager to suck it up. hell, if you are my client, i will kiss up, wipe your butt, roll over whatever you want... just pay me.

so i am glad you walked away. there's a red car at sonnen porsche, red at rector, black at claridges, all within 2 hour drive of monterey.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:46 PM
leed012
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I'm already getting PM from dealers and sales guys with allocations in October. I'll find one soon. Thanks for the tip on the inventory.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
prg
Pro

Every time I read one of these posts, I'm grateful that my local porsche dealer is great to deal with. They may get a grand extra out of me once in a while, but I never have to deal with this BS. Sticker on a gt3rs at the peak of the bubble,

I once delivered them a turbo with a failed power steering pump on cup tires that had clearly been used on a track as their last act before breaking (after a spin on track). Warranty repair, no questions asked.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too, my (formerly local) Pcar dealership is full of good people (Leith, Cary, NC). Never had an experience like the original poster's. I can't even imagine that kind of thing happening. These are high end cars, not Hyundai or Fords.

Bought 12 pcars from my former pcar dealer. Would buy a 13th if they had an alloc for an '10 GT3.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

There are too many choices. Find another dealer.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of people I know felt the same way and ended up purchasing their cars from the mainland and shipping them in. However, it is not just Porsche that is like that, our BMW dealer is like that too.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

He who has least interest has most control. Period.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
A lot of people I know felt the same way and ended up purchasing their cars from the mainland and shipping them in. However, it is not just Porsche that is like that, our BMW dealer is like that too.
move to CA. much better than HI, far less rain or humidity.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
so i am glad you walked away. there's a red car at sonnen porsche, red at rector, black at claridges, all within 2 hour drive of monterey.
Isn't Claridges now called Fletcher Jones or just Fremont Porsche? Or do you mean the Porsche dealer out in Livermore that used to be in Oakland? I know the Fletcher Jones place pretty well now, but I've not thought to check deeper into where Claridges either changed names or perhaps there was an acquisition or a burial at sea?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
if i spend money, i want my *** to be kissed
Is your self esteem so low that you need others to demean themselves by kissing your ***? They have something you want (car), you have something they want (money). Why is being decent and cordial not enough? We truly have become a "me" society. You must be a joy at Best Buy.

To the OP: You had a deal but wanted "consideration". How would you have felt if the dealer asked you for the same in terms of a higher than negotiated price?

Quick Reply: Is this Fair? Dissed by Dealer!