Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Torque wrench options for MKII centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009 | 07:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
One person has to hold the brakes, while the other turns the wrench. If someone doesn't hold they brake, they just spin the tires when they turn the wrench.
This would happen when either a torque multiplier or a big torque wrench is used (same torque applied to the wheel).
Old 08-12-2009 | 07:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
Hi Grant - advantage of Hazet is that you may get a 'Ring Jahreskarte for free if you're a good customer
That would be great! But, if I was lucky enough to live near the 'Ring I'd be more than happy to pay for the yearly pass
Old 08-20-2009 | 08:04 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

OK, the big Stahlwille 730/65 130-650Nm Torque Wrench showed up today and guess what, I"m going to need a 3/4" breaker bar to get the center locks off.

The Stahlwille can be used counter clockwise to loosen, but only to 120% maximum torque. That was not enough to budge the GT3 center locks.

I don't want to push too hard on this beautiful torque wrench that is calibrated to within 1.5% or better.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2009 | 08:29 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
When I brought my "old" Baby to Manthey two weeks ago they told me that they already had requests from four GT3 3.8 owners to retrofit conventional rims without the center lock...
Hey, tell them to start shipping them over the "pond" so I can get a reasonably priced second set of rims!

PS have you been to the Ring recently? How did that additional training do for you?
Old 08-20-2009 | 09:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blaine S
OK, the big Stahlwille 730/65 130-650Nm Torque Wrench showed up today and guess what, I"m going to need a 3/4" breaker bar to get the center locks off.

The Stahlwille can be used counter clockwise to loosen, but only to 120% maximum torque. That was not enough to budge the GT3 center locks.

I don't want to push too hard on this beautiful torque wrench that is calibrated to within 1.5% or better.
I'm pysched you got that bad boy. It's always good practice to use a breaker bar for removal rather than anything with a ratchet, once the torques get big. Luckily a cheap breaker bar will cost a small fraction of what you've spent already

I have a feeling you may need a breaker bar that's even longer than that serious torque wrench...

Quick Reply: Torque wrench options for MKII centerlocks