Removing Clubsport cage from a 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Clubsport cage from a 997 GT3

Friends,
I am a long time lurker, finally about to order a GT3 and undecided whether I should order the Clubsport package.
I am not too crazy about the FIA approved flame resistant covers on the seats, but could live with it.
The real problem is that I might miss the storage space taken up by the cage.

Could anyone share their knowledge/ experience of removing the original Clubsport cage and putting it back in? I would order the Sport Bucket seats (option P03) with folding backrests originally introduced in the GT2.

Many thanks for your help!
Wurlie
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't like the seats and plan on removing the cage, why would you get a Club Sport?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Valid question - I would like to have the harnesses fitted for track driving, and with the single sheet metal in the rear for weight saving purposes I cannot use the standard belt fittings.

Also, the cage removal question is a point of interest.

Thanks!
w
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
kryten
Advanced

I asked about this at the preview event and got a lot of 'um, er, um' responses on how long it would take. General concensus was that its 'not really quick' and 'probably a couple of hours'.

If you get the folding buckets then you'd fit bags into the rear through the cage though I'm not sure a suitcase would go in (unless you're very lucky!)
Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Thanks kryten!
I thought so myself, that I could squash some soft bags through the cage. I am still undecided. I was told that the cars with Clubsport fetch 10% more used, so that's what made me think.
Still, I am going for a March delivery so still have some time to reconsider.
Best,
w
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
TripleM
Racer

If i were ya, i'd just get a regular GT3 and then fit after mkt harness bar at the back and u still get to keep the space
Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

you can always buy the clubsport bar and brackets in the future..... if you dont plan to use it, dont get it.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the answers!
w
Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

in north america the clubsport is not an option. In ROW it is an option.

where are you located?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

TCS - thanks for your replies.
I am in Croatia - it is an option here, and I have specced my car without it for now, for March 2010 delivery. I am still debating whether to still order Clubsport - I really like the added aura it bestows on the car, and it would be great for trackwork, plus the cars with Clubsport here in Europe fetch 10% extra on the used market.
On the other hand, I would loose nice leather on the seats and significant storage space.
Finally, Andreas Preuninger said that it adds nothing to the car's rigidity, plus adds 17kg in the back, very high up, and that he would NOT take it.
It is my vanity that I am fighting, to be perfectly honest.
Best,
w
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
I would like to have the harnesses fitted for track driving, and with the single sheet metal in the rear for weight saving purposes I cannot use the standard belt fittings.
Hi wurlie - first of all congrats on ordering a fantastic car :--)
I'm with TripleM regarding the harness bar (best of both worlds: you can fit a 6-point-harness and keep the storage space at the same time).

Actually I also have the GT2 seats fitted with the Schroth 6-point-harness (no cage) in my 997 GT3 MKI and after 12,000 km (whereof 4,000 km track) I still love this combo - the seats are comfy enough on the road and together with the harness your body is fixed enough on the track. I bought the car used and originally I was sure that I'd add a cage later, but meanwhile I don't miss anything except for the "aura" you've mentioned :--)

Can't comment on how easy or difficult it would be to remove the CS cage, because I know nobody (and I know quite some GT3 addicts) who did this - I only know GT3 owners who added a cage to a non-CS.

Good luck with your decision - I can feel the pain :--)
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
buttons123
Instructor

[QUOTE=Porsche-Jeck;6747526]Hi wurlie - first of all congrats on ordering a fantastic car :--)
I'm with TripleM regarding the harness bar (best of both worlds: you can fit a 6-point-harness and keep the storage space at the same time).

Actually I also have the GT2 seats fitted with the Schroth 6-point-harness (no cage) in my 997 GT3 MKI and after 12,000 km (whereof 4,000 km track) I still love this combo - the seats are comfy enough on the road and together with the harness your body is fixed enough on the track. I bought the car used and originally I was sure that I'd add a cage later, but meanwhile I don't miss anything except for the "aura" you've mentioned :--)

Can't comment on how easy or difficult it would be to remove the CS cage, because I know nobody (and I know quite some GT3 addicts) who did this - I only know GT3 owners who added a cage to a non-CS.

Absolutely second that. I have one coming in March and will spec GT2 seats and will have a harness bar..... no roll cage although I do know what you're saying it a cool looking package but a pain in the a...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
kryten
Advanced

It does look like the CS cage is bolted together from several sections so in theory it should just be a case of unbolting it bit-by-bit and removing them. Of course, you've got the complications of which bits to do first etc.

I would guess one the car is 'here' that there must be directions on how to do it in the Porsche workshop manuals. If someone can get me a printout...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Exactly my thoughts - there has to be a way, it is just a question of how complicated it is.
Ideally, it would not take more than a couple of hours - then the Clubsport package really would make perfect sense.
I am leaning towards including it in my order, and then figuring out a way to take it out
Best,
w
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM
kryten
Advanced

I just really wish you could get the CS cage but with the leather/alcantara seats. I've begged but they just won't do it (even as an exclusive option) - if you have CS then you get fire-retardent Nomex seats for safety.

Quick Reply: Removing Clubsport cage from a 997 GT3