Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Euro GT3 mkII options

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro GT3 mkII options

Does anyone know why the clubsport option is incompatible with leather/alcantara seats, whether they are the foldable GT2 buckets or the fixed back lightweight buckets ?

The configurator and the dealer are adamant that the CS package can only be configured in combination with the flame resistant cloth seats. The rationale I got from the sales guy is that they are the only FIA approved seats, but why should I care if I am not going to race ?

There is no physical incompatibility between the parts, it floors me that I can't get a config that I like. I am very underwhelmed by the finish of GT2 seats in cloth. The only way I could get what I want would be to order another set of seats from Tequipment, but that's a silly expensive avenue.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ze_shark,
with Clubsport package, you must get either the sport bucket seats (GT2) with foldable backrests, or the lightweight buckets which are fixed. In conjunction with Clubsport, they MUST come in FIA approved flame retardant fabric, that you, and many others don't like. Unfortunately, there is no way out of that.
For that reason, I will order the car without the Clubsport - you don't need the cage for rigidity and it adds 17kg pretty high up in the rear of the car, which is not so good, according to Andreas Preuninger, the Porsche manager in charge of development of GT cars.
Hope this helps,
wurlie
Old 07-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

If you are not going to track the car why do you want the roll cage and fire ext??? Go with bucket seats in alcantara/leather and if you really feel the need add in the fire ext seperatly. (Its huge and a pain in the *** IMHO for a road car anyway). Not sure why you would want a roll cage for a road car - its just going to runi your ability to store anything in the back and get in the way all the time.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

ze shark, if you really want the roll cage, spec the car with the leather/alcantara seats and buy the rollcage seperately. It will cost you heaps less than buying a second set of seats... A good shop should be able to fit the cage with minimal fuss. Many guys have posted threads on the DYI install of rollcages of various brands on this forum...
Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

I am going to track the car (but not race it, nuance), the only reason why I am trading in my mk1 is that aftermarket installation of a cage and harnesses is proving to be too much of a costly undertaking due to the absense of the mounting plates. I want a full cage, not just the rear half, so the front mounting posts are important too. I know aftermarket install is not impossible, even with a US sunroof car, but there's a point at which I ended up wondering whether a mkII was not the better route. Even if I prefer the mkI esthetically.

Still don't understand why they must force you to take flame retardant fabric. Makes no sense to me.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 PM
kryten
Advanced

Well, I did have a thought that to offer the cage+extinguisher+harness as a 'no cost' option (given that Porsche aren't exactly know for giving stuff away!) then _maybe_ the nomex covering is far cheaper than two seats worth of leather+alcantara?

Also, I believe the non-factory tequipment cage is different to the CS one and not as well mounted (though who knows with the new version).
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

No worries there, the money rationale is preserved.
S is indeed a no cost option, but can only be ordered if you take the GT2 seats or the even more expensive lightweight buckets, both are pricey options. You can't get the cage, harness and extinguisher without forking out more for seats.
Where it breaks down is that the leather/alcantara versions are indeed more expensive so they'd make more money if they allowed me to spec my car the way I want it.

Quick Reply: Euro GT3 mkII options