Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My 997 GT3 Mk II spec

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 PM
kryten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 997 GT3 Mk II spec

Right, went in today to sort out the final spec on Sept build (delivery in October).

First thing was paint to sample would mean a delay of 3 months meaning collection in January and a) I don't want to wait that long and b) VAT goes up again and I like to think that by buying earlier I'm sticking two fingers up to Mr Darling, which means it'll be Guards Red.

So, here's the spec I ended up with, these are standard UK spec:

567 Windscreen with grey top tint
430 19inch GT3 wheel with center lock
T93 Porsche VTS
G1 Guards Red

Extras:

140 Dynamic engine mount
474 Lift system front axle
XUB Painted headlamp cleaning system cover
P03 Sports bucket seats
003 Clubsports package
79 Black leather interior - Clubsport
XSX Guards red seatbelts
P23 PCM and Nav
490 Sound package plus
666 Telephone module
870 Universal Audio Interface
454 Cruise control
900 Factory collection

Anything I've missed that I should have included?

The only other thing I'm really unsure of is PCCB - I'd love them but I'm just not sure they're justifiable any more with the improved standard brakes. I'd love the lack of brake dust and I'm sure they're great but most people seem to think the main benefit now is in the unsprung weight reduction as opposed to improved braking performance (and I'm not sure I'd be able to 'feel' the difference).

As I plan on tracking the car, the £14k replacement cost is also a consideration!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

First let me say Im jealous on your early delivery date! congrats!!!

Spec looks great, Im sure its just fine as it is but as you've asked for suggestions you might want to add :

CYW Sun Visors in Alcantara - £0.00!!! (I believe the std ones are leatherette and this is a free option!)
CMW wing mirror attachement finishers painted - £224 (perhaps goes well with painted headlamp cleaners?)
EZA Carbon Package - £566 (pricey but looks really nice with the carbon on the back of the sports bucket seats)
XSC Crests on seats - £132 (cheap and very popular)

errr, struggling to think of anything else to suggest...
Regards
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kryten
b) VAT goes up again
When????

Just curious, are you LuckyP at pistonheads? If not, your spec is extraordinarily similar to his. The only difference is he wants basalt black (apparently non-negotiable).

If I had a choice between PCM+sat nav+sound package+telephone and PCCB, I'd go for PCCB.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by _rocket
When????

Just curious, are you LuckyP at pistonheads? If not, your spec is extraordinarily similar to his. The only difference is he wants basalt black (apparently non-negotiable).

If I had a choice between PCM+sat nav+sound package+telephone and PCCB, I'd go for PCCB.
VAT goes up on 01/01/2010 - back to 17.5% so thats about £2300 extra on a GT3.

I think the PCCB -v- PCM debate is a massive personal choice thing. Sounds like kryten has already gone through this one in his own head and decided that he prefers to spend his cash on a few creature comforts. PCCB's are still almost double the cost of PCM+sat nav+sound package+telephone! Chalk and Cheese to compare them really.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

PCCB are not worth the premium.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
sl33p3r
4th Gear

WoW post some pic's when you get it.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:00 AM
kryten
Advanced

Cheers Adam, they're checking the price of the sun-visors is correct (unusual for porsche to give something like that 'free').

Can't find a CMW - did you mean CMA? Not sure which 'bit' that is but I'll have a look, and I can't have the crests with Clubsport as the seats are nomex. Its a shame a lot of these options aren't on the public configurator (only the dealer system).

Rocket, I'm not LuckyP - I'm kryten over there too but yeah, the spec is pretty similar.

Its not so much a choice between NAV and PCCB just the fact that I'm finding it very hard to justify PCCBs over the standard brakes - if I decide I want them, then I'll just add them to the spec. Actual braking performance advantages between the two are said to be minimal which only leaves the other reasons: lack of brake dust and reduction in unsprung weight. Obviously we all want the lighter car but I'm not sure I'd actually 'feel' the difference on the road. In addition, a red car probably looks better with red calipers and I still can't it out of my head that the replacement cost for a set of PCCBs is astronomical!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Cheers Adam, they're checking the price of the sun-visors is correct (unusual for porsche to give something like that 'free').
Yup - 100% sure its free, I have a UK price list at home from the silverstone event! I think they will look great with the full leather interior.

Can't find a CMW - did you mean CMA? Not sure which 'bit' that is but I'll have a look
Yes, sorry thats a typo on my behalf. CMA is correct. Checkout the US 3D configurator to see the bit that gets painted (as its on their site, just not on the UK site) - just dont choose a black car as you cant tell the difference as the base plastic is black anyway.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Are the sport buckets with the clubsport package the folding ones or the fixed ones?

Regarding PCCB, it's one of those questions that has no answer. Good luck with your decision. Either way your car will be awesome.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Are the sport buckets with the clubsport package the folding ones or the fixed ones?
In the UK clubsport is available with either the folding (sports bucket seats) or the non-folding (lightweight bucket seats). Both are then covered in nomex with clubsport -v- alcantara/leather in non-clubsport spec.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Thicker steering wheel in Alcantara? Also a dealer request.

Nice spec.

FWIW, after much back and forth I'm going PCCB. Rationale: less fade on track, more consistent pedal feel, resale, option to swap out to steel rotors if desired, Andreas said to buy them. Expensive yes, but still way cheaper than ceramics from any other high-end car maker. All up to raging debate i know so no need to flame me.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Ive had the ceramics on two porsches...I liked them till the day I soild the car. Then, they are considered pretty much the way the carbon interior accessories are. disposable, and no-one wants to pay. Get what you want, worry about it later..just MO
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 AM
rs-nurt
Track Day

where you ordered your gt3 mk II in the uk? do you have a build date yet officialy announced from porsche uk? when you ordered your car?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! Nicely optioned GT3... I would leave out the Sound Package Plus. Seems like a waste of money since the engine noise drowns everything else.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam2S
Yup - 100% sure its free, I have a UK price list at home from the silverstone event! I think they will look great with the full leather interior.

It's free when you order with the leather interior or it is free with the GT3?

And CYW is the code? thx

Quick Reply: My 997 GT3 Mk II spec