SL63 AMG vs C4S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SL63 AMG vs C4S PDK

I've got a nice track car and I'm thinking it's time to replace the daily driver. Most of you guys in this forum buy many more cars than I do and I'd like some advice.

I've been considering a C4S with PDK but went out today and drove an SL63 AMG. Yes, it's heavy and not as nimble but it does have the ability to move quickly and was a pretty nice ride. I don't want another race car, I want a comfortable, fun daily driver that my wife (with bad back and bad neck) will ride in. She thought the seats in the SL were pretty nice and much, much more comfortable than what was in the various 997s she sat in. We took the SL63 AMG ouot for a ride. While I didn't like the light lag when the car gets going (and no, I didn't test the "race start" launch control), it shifts nice in full auto or with the paddles in any of the shift modes. I didn't get a chance to push it for downshifts under braking, nor did I try to get the rear to step out to test the ESP controls as there was too much traffic.

So, Autobahn has an new SL63 AMG looking for a home. It's seen a few test drives as it has about 550 miles on it. MSRP is $159k and change. Cars on eBay with 2-5k miles appear to fetch about $105k. What other market data should I look at besides eBay? Where would I find an idea of dealer cost? What would you pay?

Other comments? (Colm, you out there?) I've read the threads about the AMG black series and saw Paul's latest rave about the PDK equipped 997...
Old 06-21-2009, 05:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

how long do you plan to own it for? lease or buy?

benz's are only fresh for so long once another model replaces it.... 911's are fashionable for years.......

so if keeping for awhile, go with porsche.... if leasing/buying and returning/selling in 2-3 years then the benz ...

that being said, the 997 c4s is sexy and is quite comfortable as a DD.... id take the porsche
Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little varity in life is nice. We have a SL 500 2001 and my wife will never let me sell it. As you said, way different car than a Porsche but since you already have one why not go for the big V8? Can't go wrong with either as both will take the hill over to San Mateo in great fashion.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I've got a nice track car and I'm thinking it's time to replace the daily driver. Most of you guys in this forum buy many more cars than I do and I'd like some advice.

I've been considering a C4S with PDK but went out today and drove an SL63 AMG. Yes, it's heavy and not as nimble but it does have the ability to move quickly and was a pretty nice ride. I don't want another race car, I want a comfortable, fun daily driver that my wife (with bad back and bad neck) will ride in. She thought the seats in the SL were pretty nice and much, much more comfortable than what was in the various 997s she sat in. We took the SL63 AMG ouot for a ride. While I didn't like the light lag when the car gets going (and no, I didn't test the "race start" launch control), it shifts nice in full auto or with the paddles in any of the shift modes. I didn't get a chance to push it for downshifts under braking, nor did I try to get the rear to step out to test the ESP controls as there was too much traffic.

So, Autobahn has an new SL63 AMG looking for a home. It's seen a few test drives as it has about 550 miles on it. MSRP is $159k and change. Cars on eBay with 2-5k miles appear to fetch about $105k. What other market data should I look at besides eBay? Where would I find an idea of dealer cost? What would you pay?

Other comments? (Colm, you out there?) I've read the threads about the AMG black series and saw Paul's latest rave about the PDK equipped 997...
Yes I am out here.

I drove the SL63 at the AMG day at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and was very impressed. I liked it very much, especially the new transmission. And it is fast. I figured that I would buy one as DD on the next go around.

Then I drove the PDK at Barber, and decided that this was also a 'fantastic" car, big improvement over any automatic; light years ahead of the horrible (F1) transmission in the Ferrari ( I know I am in the minority here) and something I could live with. It just works so well.

For me, I decided that it was time to "settle" on one brand (old shoe concept) and be familiar with all the controls without second guesses and be "in the grove" on all adventures without over thinking the machinery; every time out.

I settled on Porsche, and PDK for my DD, and I have "deep seated animosities" toward automatics when there is a choice, so I overcame a very strong preference for stick shift. Hint 1: If resale is important then PDK (over 6 speed) will win hands down provided there are no latent weaknesses, and there doesn't appear to be, so far. My comparison for this is the F car, and the popularity of the F1 over stick shift... and in that car I chose stick shift but I am in the minority in that opinion. All my arguments for it (6 speed) were that it provided more feed back and it (F1) also seemed to very "clunky" (and a definite future expense). The reverse is true for the PDK ( a demonstration of fickleness, openness or bias, take your pick!)

For you I suspect, your wife's back problem might be an issue and mitigate for the SL63. Hint 2: to make the argument for the C4S take her for a ride in GT3 and it will seem like a Cadillac in comparison.

Both are great cars, I knew I would tire more quickly of the SL63, and the depreciation on the AMG is woeful. However, the example you cite, takes a lot of the sting out of the AMG free fall and makes that point somewhat moot.

No wrong answer, and it depends on the "roads" you drive.

At the the end of the day I pulled the trigger on the C2S (with PDK). I was looking for a C4S but color, options and the slightly better driving dynamics skewed me to the C2S. However, if I had to drive the "hill" everyday, I would not have settled for less than C4S.

I hope the explanation of my "wanderlust" helps.

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 06-21-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

For street use only, the hot 4 door sedans by BMW, Audi or Mercedes are so versatile and comfortable that any sports car doesn't make much sense.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not interested in a 4-door car nor do I need a 4-seat car. My wife has an LS430 should we need the room for 4. This decision is mainly about comfort while trying to maintain some performance and fun. If my wife can't sit in it for 30 minutes without the need for Vicodin, it's not a car I want right now (and that's my 993 or, it appears any 997). I know what great handling is, my track car will beat any street driven GT3 or GT3RS (it's only a tad slower than a 997 cup) - I don't need that kind of performance out of the new car. It's an effort to keep some performance but gain the comfort the 993 lacks. Stephanie has driven the 993 on the track and is a capable driver, she just has too many back and neck problems and will no longer drive the 993 or ride in it. Having her like the seats in the SL63 was a surprising benefit.

Colm, thanks for the input, I may give you a call this evening.

How long I own it depends on how much I/we end up liking it. We tend to keep our cars for 5-6 years (or longer). I'll likely pay cash so the main concern is negotiating the best deal I can. There appear to be 6-8 other SL63's in the Bay Area that at the expected 10-15 miles on the odometer. I'll be pushing hard to get a big discount due to the 500+ miles if I buy the one I drove.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, why do't you look at a Carrera 2S? It is lighter and faster. Given that you have a 964 and a 993, I would expect you to be looking at a 2WD. Plus, an SL63 certainly does not have 4WD (and yes it still weighs 4400 lbs). Dealers are dealing on 997's, so you should be able to get a pretty good deal. I am still not a fan of the PDK as the push/pull buttons just seem awkward compared to the paddles everyone else uses, so I would stick with the 6-sp. You can now order the sports suspension that includes a limited slip, that will easily out handle an SL63. In fact, the Nurgurgring times are faster in a 997.2 C2S with sports suspension than a 996 GT3...and that is saying a lot.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

You can always get rid of the wife........
Old 06-21-2009, 07:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
You can always get rid of the wife........
I think a MUCH cheaper option would be to buy the SL63 AMG and C4S PDK.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
I think a MUCH cheaper option would be to buy the SL63 AMG and C4S PDK.

hehehehe.... true...
Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

There PDK is so much more fun than any AMG auto... It really is. I'd give it a try! They're discounting 09s of any sort so much and it's such a fantastic car in so many ways. I enjoy daily d'ing it myself.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Tom,

I love the look of the SL. With the steel convertible top, I'd take that over a 911 PDK in a heart beat. If I (0r you in this case) do not own a Porsche then it is a different story. Since you get your Porsche jollies in a more-than-capable track monster, I'd concentrate on pleasing the Mrs. Open air motoring in CA has a lot of appeal. The seats are VERY comfortable, and it is easier to get in and out.

As for price, they are certainly VERY flexible these days. If you can get one with CPO, so much the better. Them AMGs cost a ton to fix should something goes wrong. If you have a friendly car-broker friend, they can tell you (better than most sources, especially e-bay) what is a realistic price for one these days. I have a hunch you will be pleasantly surprised. If you can wait until the winter months, you will really smile. The snow belt dealers will practically give their convertibles away then.

When the SL first came out, I really thirsted for a SL55. I drove one extensively at the MB AMG Challenge in 2003, and decided to go with my Ruf instead. Absolutely no regrets on that choice (I had an M5, but no Porsche back then). My wife is NOT a car person, and even she admires the looks of the SL when we see one on the road.

Good luck with your decision. You can't loose on either one.

CP

Last edited by CP; 06-22-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Having given it a day or two of thought, it's clear I will not buy a Porsche and I'm not going to trade the wife for a C4s (or turbo for that matter). After 28 years I've gotten her trained (ha, more likely the other way around) but she doesn't ever complain about my track budget and actually comes to the track weekends with me. All this despite that she has no interest in cars.

Pong: I hadn't considered using a broker, but that's not a bad idea. What I see online is that the SL63's are expected to depreciate $30k - $60k in year one. Given that the car I drove has significant miles on it, I was planning to use that to try and drive the price down substantially. It appears that dealer invoice is about $11k below MSRP for these cars and the online info I found suggested that a new one should be just slightly over invoice. It's a question of what that 500 miles is worth.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
jlee
Instructor

Tom,

You should also look at the 2008 CLK Black Series. They can be had for around 85 for low milage cars(~4,000 miles). It has already taken a big hit in depreciation so it also makes good financial sense. My wife's 2007 SL550's lease was recently up so I got a Silver CLK Black Series for her(technically "her" car so that leaves me room to get "my" car later ). She loves the design and the fact that it is an auto. The seating feels similar to the SL, even though the ride is a little firmer, but still comfortable.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,907 Likes on 982 Posts

Why not keep it in the family?

http://www.nextautos.com/driven-2010...src=Nextscreen

Quick Reply: SL63 AMG vs C4S PDK