Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New TSB re:RMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

My GT3 is a good example. Completely stock. 2007 MY. RMS started leaking and replaced at 13k miles.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonardoC2S
Well, a counter-argument to this TSB could be that a few non-modified (completely stock) GT3's and RS's have the RMS and Front Crankshaft leak.
Now we are getting some place, I had RMS leak 1 yr before any mods and had it fix once and still leaked before I did the bypass. If you put your logic hat on for a second. I do not know how the slight difference in back pressure associated with a bypass for example, if that is in the example, can affect the crank case pressure, Negative crank case pressure is caused by vacuum on the intake side of the motor not the exhaust side. Relief of back pressure on the exhaust valves and piston side does not transfer behind the pistons so the negative crank case pressure could not be affected or significantly affected. I am really put back by this BS. if they are so smart, why did they fumble the ball for two years putting us through useless seal replacements. "can you say bull****"
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by _rocket
Nothing to do with balancing. It is my understanding that it's something to do with strength of the crank. I'm under the impression that RS cranks had been shot peened for extra hardness. Stock 997 cranks have not been shot peened because shot peening is a slow and expensive process. Nitriding is a quicker and cheaper process but not as strong. 997 cranks are lighter than 996 cranks (different web design - thinner?) so shot peening were not necessary to 996RS, hence stock 996 GT3s are maybe allowed to be fitted with a LWF.

As for 997.2, well, according to Excellence magazine, stock crank has been shot peened this time around, obviously due to larger displacement. I would be surprised if Porsche still doesn't allow fitting LWF to this model.
So can someone check the part # in PET to verify if there is a difference in crank part numbers between the GT3 & RS?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Now we are getting some place, I had RMS leak 1 yr before any mods and had it fix once and still leaked before I did the bypass. If you put your logic hat on for a second. I do not know how the slight difference in back pressure associated with a bypass for example, if that is in the example, can affect the crank case pressure, Negative crank case pressure is caused by vacuum on the intake side of the motor not the exhaust side. Relief of back pressure on the exhaust valves and piston side does not transfer behind the pistons so the negative crank case pressure could not be affected or significantly affected. I am really put back by this BS. if they are so smart, why did they fumble the ball for two years putting us through useless seal replacements. "can you say bull****"
The difference is that they covered your car.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
That really is the crux of the issue, not the cause but the effect; and if Porsche denies your Warranty do you have the wherewithal to contest the issue (never mind the technical expertise to prevail).

I am hoping that the discussion here passes the emotional level, and the technical issues including DME measurement issues are thoroughly discussed. Anecdotal evidence doesn't do much to address the real issues which for me is "What does the DME reveal to Porsche regarding vacuum changes and would a "Judge" uphold their conclusions, if they attempt to deny Warranty?"

It might take a court case to determine the answer.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 AM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no technical wizard myself, but don't the 997 cup cars and RSR run with a low back pressure exhaust system (headers to cats to common center muffler)? Do they leak from the RMS and FMS with the same frequency as our cars? If not, I wonder what the difference is given that especially the Cup car runs a very similar engine run to higher extremes.

I am in the same boat as many here. I have already had a FMS fixed and now my RMS is leaking. I have been holding off getting replaced till the "newer" RMS is available from the MK II GT3. My car is completely stock (scratch that off their TSB list), is driven daily (another scratch off), and also sees monthly track time. The car was broken in per the manual recommendations and been serviced more frequently than Porsche suggest due to the track time. This pretty much eliminates all of Porsche's excuses.

I personally am counting down the time till the warranty expires so a real exhaust can go on the car!!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

the bottom line is how strong is a persons relationship with their dealer's service department. They are the go between the owner and the regional Porsche rep. He only knows what they tell him. Mine have bailed me out a few time. I ended up paying $2,100 for a pair of front PCCB rotors. That would not have happened if I did not take the time and effort to have them do some non warrenty work: If you only show up with problems they do not have a reason to fight for you, they will save the battle for the other guy.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Not true, they only "know" what the DME print out tells them, or what they can physically see.

If Warranty repair claims are audited (and I don't know if this is so) or requires pre-approval then I am sure there is a pretty comprehensive trail. It may not always be followed, but it is there.

I agree that a good relationship is of key importance (in goodwill situations), but I would doubt that any Dealership employee is going to risk a job in contradiction of documented policy. Goodwill hardly extends to blatant violation of, or contempt for, published TSBs.

Now if you can get things in writing, it would sure avoid a lot of hassles and exposure. At the end of the day, everyone (Manufacturer, Dealer, Part Supplier and Customer) is trying to "throw the monkey".
Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
So can someone check the part # in PET to verify if there is a difference in crank part numbers between the GT3 & RS?
Same part numbers for ALL 997 GT-3 cranks; '07-'09.

2010 GT-3 engine has a different crankshaft.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Steve!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, thanks Steve. I stand corrected. So, why doesn't Porsche allow fitting single-mass flywheel to stock 997.1 GT3? Please enlighten us.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:39 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by _rocket
OK, thanks Steve. I stand corrected. So, why doesn't Porsche allow fitting single-mass flywheel to stock 997.1 GT3? Please enlighten us.
You know, I've never gotten a clear and concise answer from Porsche about that. We've done this on several 997 GT-3's used for DE's without any issues, to date.

One thing we do is to bypass the clutch pedal interlock so the engine can be started without depressing the clutch pedal as this really extends crankshaft thrust bearing life.

I've not observed ill effects from using the LWF kit but perhaps someone else has.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

steve: how many cars do you have in the hunt next weekend?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CoGT3
I'm no technical wizard myself, but don't the 997 cup cars and RSR run with a low back pressure exhaust system (headers to cats to common center muffler)? Do they leak from the RMS and FMS with the same frequency as our cars? If not, I wonder what the difference is given that especially the Cup car runs a very similar engine run to higher extremes.
I had a Porsche race team owner (who runs RSR's in the Rolex series) tell me that the FMS's on the RSR's as delivered are only good for about 4 track hours before leaking and needing replacement. He says that, once they're replaced the first time, they usually don't give any further trouble. He didn't say anything at all about RMS problems.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by roberga
steve: how many cars do you have in the hunt next weekend?
I think we'll have a total of about 17 cars competing in several classes,...

Quick Reply: New TSB re:RMS