Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tire Rack Heat Cycling Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Rack Heat Cycling Service

I'm thinking of going with MPSC from Tirerack.
They offer a heat cycling service for $15 a tire.
Is it worth it.? Should I worry that they wont do it and say they did?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If you pay for the heat cycle service they will be heat cycled...I wouldn't worry about that.

However, I do not think the HC service is worth it. Save the HC for the track.

Are you getting the GT3 spec. compound or the regular compound? GT3 spec. compound is more of a street compound so HC isn't as much of a concern, IMO.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

I didnt know there were 2 compounds.
I dont see an option on Tire Rack
Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

I don't think Tirerack will distinguish from the two on their website. Most likely it will be differentiated by the "N" designation? N0, N1, etc.?? I can't be too sure about that one.

I didn't mean to confuse you. From what I understand, there are two compounds - one more street biased and the other more track biased. Street biased being the default config for GT3 from the factory.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
I don't think Tirerack will distinguish from the two on their website. Most likely it will be differentiated by the "N" designation? N0, N1, etc.?? I can't be too sure about that one.

I didn't mean to confuse you. From what I understand, there are two compounds - one more street biased and the other more track biased. Street biased being the default config for GT3 from the factory.
There is a difference, and a big one indeed between the factory/"street cup tires" and the original michelin pilot cup sports... Make sure you inquire on which you will be getting or want!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

If you are getting 19" MPSC tires these are not the same sticky compound the 18"'s are.

I ran this weekend with a guy that had the same exact car as me, he is a better driver than I, many more years of experience, he races too but my car with Toyo R888 walked away from him in the turns.

I highly suggest you get the Toyo R888's with either stock 19" sizes or 18" sizes since I do not know what wheels you are putting them on.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

At your service.....

HERE is our writeup on heat cycling, and how our service is better than a street heat cycle.

Porsche N rated Cups DO have a different tread desing than non Porsche tires. We do not specify the compounds are different because we can't get Michelin to confirm it. But many people that have driven both compounds and prefer the non N rated as they are apperently softer. I did a writeup here awhile back on the differences between the two.

Please feel free to call me with questions!
Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Thanks Damon for the expertise.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:09 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Tire Rack has a huge warehouse outside of Reno, where I live, and they do heat-cycling there for at least some of the west coast orders. On Hoosier tires, heat-cycling definitely makes a substantial difference for the good. On MPSC's, don't bother, at least if they are the Porsche GT3 spec tires. In fact, you shouldn't waste your time with the GT3 spec Michelins on the track anyway. IMHO

Last edited by lawjdc; 06-01-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to be the devils advocate some people criticize the tire rack's HC system saying it is not putting enough heat in the tire. I am not talking from personal experience because I always HC my own tires, but I have heard this complaint from others. Having said that I would not worry about them not doing it if you ask them to.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

send them to me, i'll heat cycle 'em real good for ya!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

I've had tires HC from tirerack before. I couldn't tell the difference between heat cycled and not heat cycled. However, I DID take the car on the street and get some heat into them but was more shaking the car down than trying to warm up tires.

The first run session is usually where I heat cycle my tires. First one should be easy anyway. Right guys? ;-)

Quick Reply: Tire Rack Heat Cycling Service