Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

damp road impressions of CGT, etc (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Congtats , Great car CJ - but shouldn't you post in the "Carrera GT" section of the forums.
Come on now!! I think all of us GT3?RS freaks are enjoying CJ's new purchase and are eager to hear his adventures in the CGT world. I know I am.

A CGT for a commute car, come on, ino way it gets any better than this!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet!!! Congrats and enjoy in good health!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Did you give him a blip? Just a blip from that thing is worth the price.
just a blip to see how it feels...lol
Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Got home from houston and picked up my CGT seats (lol)

wow.

The drive from Ruf Auto Centre to my house is about 75 miles...so I threw my luggage in the front seat and took off despite the cloudy skies.

Jonathan started up the car and let it warm up a bit, and as calm as I tried to be I just couldn't do it!

so, I hopped in and after 5 years of reading about the "hair trigger" clutch...

LOL.

very simple! not hard at all. just push it all the way in, gear lever into first, then slowly let the left foot ease out the pedal. bingo! you're rolling, then you put in the gas.

the car steers and turns very lightly, with tons of grip. kind of like an RS, or like a cayman, but 265 front tires and 305+ rears.

yes, they are pccb brakes- but the feel and bite is totally more intense...like a cup car if anyone has driven one. big time initial bite and super heavy feel.

everything about the car is perfect for my tastes- the pedals are floor mounted, super heavy but very analog- you don't feel like there is any power assist or computers deciding if your inputs on clutch and brakes or throttle are kosher.

obviously, the car has traction control but for regular highway driving that's not really a factor.

LOUD NOISES!

the v10 is absolutely sublime. it sounds super aggressive, like an LMP car or something- which I guess is fitting as that is what the platform was designed for originally!

the first few red lights went by with no real drama, got off to slow but smooth rolling starts.

I guess the key is to drive it like a CGT and not anything else, but I still managed to fire off a few text messages so the car is by no means undriveable. I fit a pretty good sized piece of luggage and computer case into the car and had my hanging suit bag in the front trunk.

about 45 miles into the drive, I'm on the tollway and there are cops everywhere. also in the distance, huge lightning bolts and rain clouds loom.

no biggie! if I can drive an RS in the rain on worn MPSC I'm cool in the CGT.

more cops, looks like my 68mph in a 60mph zone is looking fairly smart. some kids lean out of a bmw and snap photos of the car going through fort worth. take my interchange into the homestretch, and the freeway is completely wet. Sweet!

no worries, just driving normal speeds and didn't experience any drama at all.

I'm intoxicated by the intake and valve noises of the engine, putting along the freeway at 3000-4400 rpms on the tach, I'm adjusting the windows up and down just to hear the tunnels and overpasses echo the glorious noises.

eventually I got home, and decided to try and let off TC.

it's a bit damp still, but I've got a 100yd wide driveway/parking lot with 1/2 mile long to work with, so what the hell.

start rolling in first gear- drop the hammer a bit and the revs shoot to 6000RPM, then the tires grip and whammo- car shoots forward with some force. so I guess I've done a pretty sweet burnout but with nobody to see it, guess it just gave me a better feel for the car.

I look forward to my morning commute tomorrow!

summary-

car is awesome, everything as advertised so far on the street. can't wait to drive it more- and spend more time in this cockpit.
you need a Porsche tat on your glove forearm :-). congrats on the new car. Can't wait to hear what your Dad has to say after his first ride.
On the clutch, that is how my driving instructor taught me to learn to drive a clutch car when I was 14. If you can get the car moving without throttle then you have control and will not hop across an intersection.

I look forward to your next save.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Got home from houston and picked up my CGT seats (lol)

wow.

The drive from Ruf Auto Centre to my house is about 75 miles...so I threw my luggage in the front seat and took off despite the cloudy skies.

Jonathan started up the car and let it warm up a bit, and as calm as I tried to be I just couldn't do it!

so, I hopped in and after 5 years of reading about the "hair trigger" clutch...

LOL.

very simple! not hard at all. just push it all the way in, gear lever into first, then slowly let the left foot ease out the pedal. bingo! you're rolling, then you put in the gas.

the car steers and turns very lightly, with tons of grip. kind of like an RS, or like a cayman, but 265 front tires and 305+ rears.

yes, they are pccb brakes- but the feel and bite is totally more intense...like a cup car if anyone has driven one. big time initial bite and super heavy feel.

everything about the car is perfect for my tastes- the pedals are floor mounted, super heavy but very analog- you don't feel like there is any power assist or computers deciding if your inputs on clutch and brakes or throttle are kosher.

obviously, the car has traction control but for regular highway driving that's not really a factor.

LOUD NOISES!

the v10 is absolutely sublime. it sounds super aggressive, like an LMP car or something- which I guess is fitting as that is what the platform was designed for originally!

the first few red lights went by with no real drama, got off to slow but smooth rolling starts.

I guess the key is to drive it like a CGT and not anything else, but I still managed to fire off a few text messages so the car is by no means undriveable. I fit a pretty good sized piece of luggage and computer case into the car and had my hanging suit bag in the front trunk.

about 45 miles into the drive, I'm on the tollway and there are cops everywhere. also in the distance, huge lightning bolts and rain clouds loom.

no biggie! if I can drive an RS in the rain on worn MPSC I'm cool in the CGT.

more cops, looks like my 68mph in a 60mph zone is looking fairly smart. some kids lean out of a bmw and snap photos of the car going through fort worth. take my interchange into the homestretch, and the freeway is completely wet. Sweet!

no worries, just driving normal speeds and didn't experience any drama at all.

I'm intoxicated by the intake and valve noises of the engine, putting along the freeway at 3000-4400 rpms on the tach, I'm adjusting the windows up and down just to hear the tunnels and overpasses echo the glorious noises.

eventually I got home, and decided to try and let off TC.

it's a bit damp still, but I've got a 100yd wide driveway/parking lot with 1/2 mile long to work with, so what the hell.

start rolling in first gear- drop the hammer a bit and the revs shoot to 6000RPM, then the tires grip and whammo- car shoots forward with some force. so I guess I've done a pretty sweet burnout but with nobody to see it, guess it just gave me a better feel for the car.

I look forward to my morning commute tomorrow!

summary-

car is awesome, everything as advertised so far on the street. can't wait to drive it more- and spend more time in this cockpit.
you need a Porsche tat on your glove forearm :-). congrats on the new car. Can't wait to hear what your Dad has to say after his first ride.
On the clutch, that is how my driving instructor taught me to learn to drive a clutch car when I was 14. If you can get the car moving without throttle then you have control and will not hop across an intersection.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!
CGT for commute? That's awesome! I'm glad some people are actually driving and enjoying them as they were designed to do.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga

here's the last one
Old 05-26-2009, 03:17 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Can you believe you have a CGT?????? I still pinch myself a lot. Congratulations and I'm glad your first drive was uneventful. You're in for lots of smiles ahead of you!
LOL, i'm pinching myself now, nope, still have a GT2 not a Carrera GT hahah

CJ man, thing is so beautiful, congrats again for the 5th time, but you deserve all the congrats for such a car
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are forcing me to buy one... My wife will kill me....

Please only post negative feed back from know on... I need some help man..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
DRG13
Pro

I'm stoked for you buddy, nice write up, but you left off commenting on some off the most important aspects of the car.

1.) How's the stereo?
2.) Does A/C blow really cold?
3.) Did wiper blades sufficiently clear the windshield?
4.) Overall visibility? (safety first)
5.) Seats provide sufficient back support?
6.) will my big *** fit in passenger seat?
7.) Am I even allowed in passenger seat?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 179 Posts

Hey Dan,

If Ichi ever comes back to this side of the planet, we can do the Addison tunnel in stereo now!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 AM
DRG13
Pro

Brian,

I'm holding you guys to it...

Last edited by DRG13; 05-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

let me know if you see more than one or two people ever reading that one...
LOL! So true

I'm a GT3 guy at heart so I'm posting it here for my friends to read about
Greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by DRG13
I'm stoked for you buddy, nice write up, but you left off commenting on some off the most important aspects of the car.

6.) will my big *** fit in passenger seat?
7.) Am I even allowed in passenger seat?
^Good questions! Me too
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
Brian,

I'm holding you guys to it...
Hey, you're allowed in my passenger seat anytime! It's always more fun with passengers. That way, I'm not the only one being stared at stop lights!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
here's the last one
hahhaa yeah but just like in baseball I cannot get credit for creating a save...I'd really like to spend some more time at TWS as it's easily the best track in texas

Quick Reply: damp road impressions of CGT, etc (pics)