Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sharkey by-pass; RS vs base GT3 observations

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sharkey by-pass; RS vs base GT3 observations

After a considerable amount of time in both cars with the by-pass; I had come to notice that the base GT3 was considerably more throaty and a bit louder throughout the entire RPM range than the RS....I had thought this anecdotal at first.

I then had the opportunity to upgrade the base GT3 clutch to the entire RS LWFW / clutch / pulley system when the original clutch needed attention after 25K miles.

Immediately, I noticed that the sounds produced were exactly matching those of the RS over the entire RPM range....both now sound smoother; less intrusive and overall audibley indicative of the heightened smooth and quick throttle response one gets with the full RS LWFW / clutch system.

I also noticed that the RS normal operating temp was a marked 25 degress warmer than the base GT3 with both cars having the bypass and now both temps are at ~ 210 degrees after upgrading flywheel...temps clearly related to quicker rpms achieved faster and maintained for longer periods of time.

No RMS issues at time of LWFW installation and still none on either car.

Just observations...anyone else with a similar experience?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm installing the bypass in the RS soon and will then be able to compare it as you did. At the moment, the sound of the RS with the factory exhaust is pretty dull and boomy compared to my GT3 with the Sharkey kit.

At the risk of changing your topic a bit, I'd be really interested in reading your views (other than exhaust sound) regarding a comparison of the two cars. I've only had the RS a short time but am already quite amazed at how different the two cars are.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
At the risk of changing your topic a bit, I'd be really interested in reading your views (other than exhaust sound) regarding a comparison of the two cars. I've only had the RS a short time but am already quite amazed at how different the two cars are.
interesting topic that I have until now avoided chiming in on wrt numerous threads which make the comparisons ad nauseum...most with the tone that sounds a bit like..."only a world-class professional driver will be able to extract any performance differences of the RS over the base GT3"....I can venture that 99.9% of these were made by those who are akin to being monday morning quarterbacks and have not had the fantastic opportunity to drive these two great cars back to back on a daily basis....granted; the two are more alike than different component wise, however, the RS does in fact have suspension differences that to me, after driving an RSR in wheel to wheel competition, can be noticed and appreciated....this of course, is with the RS having the full clubsport package....dialing in the same track set-up suspension parameters in both cars does not yield the same feedback in my opinion.....there are numerous subtle differences that taken individually are hard to appreciate and relate. BUT, take those differences cummulativley and they add up to a much tighter and responsive experience over all IMHO....you will see for yourself...I hope to see some feedback from you as well
Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
the two are more alike than different component wise, however, the RS does in fact have suspension differences that to me, after driving an RSR in wheel to wheel competition, can be noticed and appreciated....this of course, is with the RS having the full clubsport package....dialing in the same track set-up suspension parameters in both cars does not yield the same feedback in my opinion.....there are numerous subtle differences that taken individually are hard to appreciate and relate. BUT, take those differences cummulativley and they add up to a much tighter and responsive experience over all IMHO....you will see for yourself...I hope to see some feedback from you as well
Thanks for those comments. I don't have the RS suspension setup properly yet to allow a fair comparison but, once that's done, I'll certainly share my observations. As you are saying, I already have a sense that the handling differences will not be subtle.

Quick Reply: Sharkey by-pass; RS vs base GT3 observations