Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Switzer 800hp - just what does that mean ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Switzer 800hp - just what does that mean ?

Copied below from "da Bling" site is a 997GT2 running on what looks like a dynojet and making a claimed 800hp....

This has always been a subject of fascination to me as loading Porsche turbos to measure their real torque (ie how Porsche do it) does not seem possible using this type of chassis dyno.

Watch the vid - in 4th gear the actual power measurement takes ~5 seconds, that is 5 seconds of "load" for the engine to heat up.

The second vid below (which is not worth checking out because it is aof a blurry screen) is of a Maha Dyno run on a Porsche turbo which takes ~20 seconds of loading....

Forgetting the numbers because that 5s Dynojet thing surely means next to nothing ? What I am inerested in is how the Dynojet "tuned" car performs on the road ? 5s in 4th gear may be representative of what happens on the road, but what happens in 5th and 6th gear where a run up from 4000rpm to 7000rpm may take ~10s of loading ? How do they tune for this ? How do they recreate the loading (ie heat generated) necessary to be able to tune properly ?

Wasn't it the Switzer "Sledgehammer" car which cut out at ~190mph and wouldn't go any faster ? Is this the consequence of this type of tuning ? Do people just not care since for normal street driving the car does what they want ? What about people who track these cars, don't they get too hot and have problems ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vIZLlWP_FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EU5J_TIsM
Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toby, like all things in life, there is an ideal tool for the situation and there are compromise tools that cover many situations. Tim Switzer's previous job was in the DSM world, where the company he worked for built my race engine. I told them what I wanted to use the engine for and they built the right engine for the job. My race engine has never let me down and helped us get the SP2 hillclimb record, which was our target.

I don't know what his company claims for the Porsche world, but in terms of building the right tool for the job, he and Dave Buschur did a perfect job for the money I spent and I couldn't have been happier. Perhaps your requirements are different than the customer who wanted a street 800hp GT2, without the requirements of heavy loading you may see in Europe?

Tim is a good guy, he's very intelligent, hard working and innovative.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

FC....... I am not making a personal attack on Mr Switzer, I am sure he is all the things you say, those figures from the Sledgehammer car were amazing, he certainly seems to be pushing boundaries....

It is the dyno thing again and I struggle to see how the 5s run verifies anything but as you point out its horses for courses and if the car works on the road within the owners requirements then I suppose that is the goal....
Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 PM
triss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dynorun is a dynorun. You want to see how much power it is putting down.
They simply want to verify that it is putting down the claimed hp before handing it back to the customer..
Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triss
A dynorun is a dynorun. You want to see how much power it is putting down.
They simply want to verify that it is putting down the claimed hp before handing it back to the customer..

Quick Reply: Switzer 800hp - just what does that mean ?