Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hartford Insurance Coverage Exclusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hartford Insurance Coverage Exclusion

Does anyone have their GT3 insured by Hartford, and if so, does the Hartford policy contain an coverage exclusion for track or DE use? Considering a change from State Farm, which does have a specific exclusion, and haven't been able to look at an actual Hartford policy.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't know about Hartford, but spoke with the people at Nationwide yesterday. The rep was sure anything on a race track wasn't covered. I asked him where that was stated in the policy. He couldn't find it, so called the underwriter. Underwriter said it was covered...but they'd likely cancel the policy right after you put in the claim.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to investigate High Point (Prudential) Insurance. Their policy explicitly excludes "racing". Furthermore, NJ PCA has a written letter from president of High Point stating very clearly that events (most of them) run by the PCA are NOT considered racing. The events include DEs, AutoX, Rallies, etc.

It may only be a NJ thing, but worth looking. I switched my insurance based on this.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

This is State specific, not company specific. In Ohio Nationwide covers. Look at your policy, I have the agent to send me a new one each year. Look in the Property damage section for exclusions, You will generally find an exclusion that excludes coverage for damage that is caused during a competitive event or in preparation of a competitive event pr a timed event. (that does not excluded a DE but would a race or autocross)

Some policies have more agressive language that excludes any damage that happens on a track (does not limit it to timed or competitive events) then DE are out.

each state has what is called the standard ISO policy that all companies writing in that state can just copy becuase it embodies what the state department of insurance endorses. they can adopt that and use it or have there own policy reviewed. so may just use the pre approved form some have there policy approved. but this is a state by state issue, you have to read your own policy.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
You may want to investigate High Point (Prudential) Insurance. Their policy explicitly excludes "racing". Furthermore, NJ PCA has a written letter from president of High Point stating very clearly that events (most of them) run by the PCA are NOT considered racing. The events include DEs, AutoX, Rallies, etc.

It may only be a NJ thing, but worth looking. I switched my insurance based on this.
This is not state specific but rather region specific.Letter(I have a copy) was written to Dave Novak,(Esq and former region president) and applies to NNJR events .Also any NNJR event which is timed,including autocross and time trials are excluded.
I started to sign up with them but after speaking with David decided against it.
Disappointing because the rates were very competitive.
If you doubt what I say,best you speak with Mr. Novak.
Tom B.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

In CA I personally know of two incidents covered by AAA and state farm. Both cases the insurance company know the incidents happenedon
Trk. Both were > $50
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for your responses. One of the problems in making a switch is that the insurance companies will not let you see a copy of the actual policy, until you switch your coverage. And, they require you to switch all of your cars, not just one. I get such favorable rates from State Farm that I am not willing to switch 6 cars over based upon wishful thinking that there is no track exclusion in the policy. Hence the question whether anyone has an actual policy to look at.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

why dont they let you read policy before you insure? then how would you know what coverage you bought?

they'll let you just move one car, it's just that that one car will cost a lot to insure.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

That does not sound right what are they afraid of. Find someone who has bought it and get there copy.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM
sws1
Pro

Originally Posted by tomburdge
This is not state specific but rather region specific.Letter(I have a copy) was written to Dave Novak,(Esq and former region president) and applies to NNJR events .Also any NNJR event which is timed,including autocross and time trials are excluded.
I started to sign up with them but after speaking with David decided against it.
Tom B.
PM Sent
Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
sws1
Pro

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Tom B.

I just re-read the letter and it explicity says that NNJR PCA-run AutoX, Rally, and High Speed Driver's ED are NOT considered racing, and therefore not subject to racing exclusion.

The Porscherama IS mentioned as a racing event, and therefore not covered.

Do you have a different letter than me?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Hartford. They will not cover property or liability on the track. My insurer does offer a motorsport coverage plan through K&K (?). Just covers liability - not property - but good to have for DE, TT, or Racing events. You never know.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
I have Hartford. They will not cover property or liability on the track. My insurer does offer a motorsport coverage plan through K&K (?). Just covers liability - not property - but good to have for DE, TT, or Racing events. You never know.
Thanks, that is the specific information I have been looking for.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

NP. Glad to help.

Quick Reply: Hartford Insurance Coverage Exclusion