Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tire Plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Plug

After 4 track days (3k total miles), I found a nail in my rear tire (stock Corsa). Solved the immediate problem with a tire "plug".

Is the tire good for track use (PCA Black Run group and higher), road use only, or simply to get me to the tire shop for new tires? If I need to replace, I would need to replace both rears to keep on cycle.

Sorry, but I have no experience with the tire plug.

Thanks.

SF
Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Road use only, I personally wouldn't trust a tire plug at 100+ mph although they are good these days.

I don't believe your car will pass a PCA inspection if they know about the plug.

Here is what I do, since the Corsas are so extremely expensive you really should look into a second set of wheels with some Hoosier R6, A6 or R100 compound tires which can be had for around $1400/set instead of $2500+. I happen to have a set for sale on Carrera Sport knockoff 19" wheels with only 3 heat cycles if you happen to be looking at this route plus it is very nice to never worry about cording the tires you have to drive home on.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 PM
prg
Pro

Prepare for a debate of near religious frenzy. If it's not at the sidewall, I'd personally run it. At the track, presumably you'll be checking your pressures before and after every session. If you get a slow leak from losing the plug in the nail hole, you're probably going to realize this before any mischief arises. I live in an area where is seems to rain nails and have purchased the magnetic MPSC which seem to attract every nail in a 10 mile radius. I've run plugged tires without incident (YMMV). (I shall now put on my nomex for the onslaught of flames for advising you on a pathway that leads to near certain death )

Quick Reply: Tire Plug