Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 exhaust valves: half/half

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 exhaust valves: half/half

I've been fooling around with different options to get the exhaust note right.
I dislike the original system the closed/open valve transitions sound very artificial.
I had a vacuum line installed to be able to have a quiet "Laguna Seca" mode for noise-sensitive tracks, and an always open mode.
For road use, the always open mode drones like a cathedral bell at 2500-2700rpm, unbearable.
I gave serious consideration to the sharkwerks bypass, but it's too loud for road use in Switzerland, I'd get pulled over.

So I had this idea: what if I had one cylinder bank with the valve always open, and the other bank with the valve operating normally (switched by the vacuum line) ? Means that at low rev, the backpressure would be different between cylinder banks, but does it matter from a mechanical viewpoint ?
My goal is to retain most of the mid range noise, tone down the drone, and make the valve opening a lot less artificial. Thoughts ?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think this may pose a problem for you and not be healthy 4 the engine... backpressure affects engine charge and therefore output. If you have one bank of cylinders working harder or producing a stronger stroke than the other, you no longer have a balanced stroke= rough running engine and maybe engine issues/damage due to the high rpms these engines achieve... must be a better way...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 AM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ze_shark
I've been fooling around with different options to get the exhaust note right.
I dislike the original system the closed/open valve transitions sound very artificial.
I had a vacuum line installed to be able to have a quiet "Laguna Seca" mode for noise-sensitive tracks, and an always open mode.
For road use, the always open mode drones like a cathedral bell at 2500-2700rpm, unbearable.
I gave serious consideration to the sharkwerks bypass, but it's too loud for road use in Switzerland, I'd get pulled over.

So I had this idea: what if I had one cylinder bank with the valve always open, and the other bank with the valve operating normally (switched by the vacuum line) ? Means that at low rev, the backpressure would be different between cylinder banks, but does it matter from a mechanical viewpoint ?
My goal is to retain most of the mid range noise, tone down the drone, and make the valve opening a lot less artificial. Thoughts ?
Are you certain that Sharky's bypass would be too loud on the street? Mine only has serious db's when I get on the throttle hard. With smooth driving there's not really much volume and the sound is addictive. Might be worth a chat with Alex.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rox
I think this may pose a problem for you and not be healthy 4 the engine... backpressure affects engine charge and therefore output. If you have one bank of cylinders working harder or producing a stronger stroke than the other, you no longer have a balanced stroke= rough running engine and maybe engine issues/damage due to the high rpms these engines achieve... must be a better way...
The backpressure offset would only be in the idle-3200 rpm range.

Originally Posted by seefouress
Are you certain that Sharky's bypass would be too loud on the street? Mine only has serious db's when I get on the throttle hard. With smooth driving there's not really much volume and the sound is addictive. Might be worth a chat with Alex.
Certain, no, pretty sure, yes.
Had more than a chat with Alex, he was actually kind enough to take me for a spin. Nice note, no annoying drone, but too loud and too obvious. Likelihood to get pulled over would be too high.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

I tested a quick & dirty prototype of the mod and it exceeds my expectation.
Very refined result, the exhaust note at low revs has gained volume and texture, a very nice blend of the type of harmonics heard on old BMW inline 6 or on a 3 cylinder engine. Then the transition to the other valve opening appears more seamless, less artificial. Not an ounce of drone.

Entirely reversible, very cheap, and much more socially acceptable than more radical situations if you happen to live in a place where cops and citizens are picky about noise.

The test set-up: I simply disconnected the near side valve and plugged a cork into the line. The cork is of course getting replaced by a suitable heat resistant item.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 PM
chardonet
Racer

Originally Posted by ze_shark
I tested a quick & dirty prototype of the mod and it exceeds my expectation.
Very refined result, the exhaust note at low revs has gained volume and texture, a very nice blend of the type of harmonics heard on old BMW inline 6 or on a 3 cylinder engine. Then the transition to the other valve opening appears more seamless, less artificial. Not an ounce of drone.

Entirely reversible, very cheap, and much more socially acceptable than more radical situations if you happen to live in a place where cops and citizens are picky about noise.

The test set-up: I simply disconnected the near side valve and plugged a cork into the line. The cork is of course getting replaced by a suitable heat resistant item.

Hmmmm..... interesting resolution. I think a DRC cork would have made the exhaust note more refined . Did you try unplugging the solenoid valve?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What year is the Chateau Margaux- yummy. One of my favorites : ). Mike
Old 05-23-2009, 03:41 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Originally Posted by chardonet
Hmmmm..... interesting resolution. Did you try unplugging the solenoid valve?
Yes, the drone at 2500-2700 rpm cost me too much in aspirin, way too boomy to my taste. This one is really worth a try, much more subtle.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 exhaust valves: half/half