Warning for first track day of the year

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning for first track day of the year

Hi guys,

Please learn from my mistakes this past weekend at the first track day of the year. I went to Toronto Motorsport Park to break in some new parts and to get back into the groove. I chose TMP because Mosport is too dangerous to try things out on (for me at least!). I was breaking in a new set of R888's, DeMan rotors and the Sharky pipe.

In the paddock was a brand new 997 GT2. First session out, I didn't turn the camera on as I intended to take it easy. Part way through the session, the GT2 and I end up together on track, my ego gets the better of me and I start to push hard to keep him behind. I'm able to keep him there, but eventually decide to let him past in case I'm holding him up.

He takes the lead and we're turning similar times. I'm quicker in 3 corners and he's quicker or equal everywhere else. He pulls about 3 car lengths down the straight, even though I'm getting a better drive onto the straight. I guess he preferred to chase so he lets me by again. Now remember, this is the first session of the day... With him behind, he's pushing me hard and I'm determined to gap him. In the corners I'm able to make up some time, I'm really pushing the car hard and taking liberties with it.

And then I ran out of talent Coming into the final left before the hairpin onto the straight, I turned into the corner and the back end came out like it always does. I applied pressure on the rear by getting on the throttle, but I had come in too hot and around it went.

I spun into the grass which was wet and muddy. I was astonished at how far the car travelled on the wet grass from a relatively low speed spin (120km/h). I eventually came to rest in a mud swamp and had to be towed out. The only damage was to my ego... the car was totally unharmed, with the exception of it now being covered in grass and mud

It could however have been much, much worse. I went backwards over the pit entry. Had the car gone sideways, it could have been the catalyst for an easy flip.

A few things to take away from this experience:

1. I am an idiot for pushing so hard in the very first session and for letting my ego get the better of me
2. This is not racing, there is no prize, there is only the potential loss of the car
3. It takes a session or two to get back into the groove of driving (in retrospect, I was not hitting my marks and was certainly not smooth)
4. New R888's need a session or two to break in before they become predictable

Fortunately, I found a hose and was able to get all the mud and grass off and was able to enjoy the remainder of the day. I went for a ride in the GT2 and can only say that it is astoundingly fast, but that's not the main impression I left with. The main impression is with the shock dampening. Somehow, the car rides bumps extremely well and still handles. My car felt crude in comparison to the GT2...

Hope this story helps someone else avoid the embarrassment of being towed out of the first session of the first track day of the year. I hope you keep the shiny side up guys
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
am722
Drifting

Glad to hear you emerged unscathed. I feared the worst when I clicked on the thread..
Old 04-14-2009, 05:19 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ +1 Whats the old saying? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or some such. Point taken, tho.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:22 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You certainly didn't let your ego stand in the way of writting a very introspective critique of your misguided decisions on the track. Bravo!
Just glad you and the car survived the episode.Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes,move on, and continue to pursue our passion.
Tom B.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Farz,

- My bet is that 50% was the new R888s (i was in fear for the first 4 15 minute sessions)
- thought i was one ice
- mpscs (oe or real) were never like that
- no question it takes time to get back into the grove - my first session last year i went off in corner #1 at VIR (no grip in the cold tires, cold brain, slow hands) - it was almost laughable (i also had the new gt2 rear bar to deal with, the guard diff, and 4.0 r&p) - end of the day it was a cold brain

- interesting comment on the gt2 suspension (slightly more spring and clearly better damping can work wonders)
- i know i will eventually go this route as i did on my previous car - once you have riden in a car with a good suspension (Ohlins in my case) all you do is see the negatives in other setups
- my somewhat educated guess as to what the gt2 has that our car does not (new gt3 will) is that they have been able to soften the compression damping because the car has slightly more spring and thus the car absorbs bumps better (i.e. not using compression damping for additional spring) - this is what my Ohlin setup in my other car does in spades - it is almost impossible to upset the car with bumps - you just set the rebound according to track surface, weather, etc

- glad the red machine is still ticking
Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

That is why you went to TMP and not Mosport.

TMP and Shannoville are good places to get into the season without major issues.

At a Solo 1 event chassing a couple of tenths...I have gone off at the end of the first straight at 197khm, marbles on the left side went into abs mode could not slow down went straight..no attempt to turn at this point.. it was no problem!! that is when it finaly stopped!!

What tires were you guys on?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Just glad to hear you're okay! The potential loss of life (or quality of life) is something I think about every time I get on a race track. More and more lately, too. As for the car being okay? Well, that's...a very nice bonus!

Thanks for sharing this -- it is indeed a good reminder to all of us.

pete

P.S. Oh yeah: trying to keep up with a 2 in a 3 is not for the faint of heart based on my experiences. The 2 is noticeably better not just for torque, but in terms of driver confidence, which always translates into more speed -- sometimes a lot more. Again, so glad you got nothing more than a slap on the wrist.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

I cant wait to get my GT2 to a lapping day!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

That GT2 resides across the street from me. I was drooling on it not 15 minutes ago.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
I cant wait to get my GT2 to a lapping day!
The GT2 got down to 1:19.5. I got down to 1:20.5. I don't know if these are quick times for TMP or not, but that's where we ended up. I got butterflies in my stomach for the first lap in the GT2, I never get that! It's just so damn fast!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In mountain rescue we called it "testosterone poisoning" as we carried the body back to the trail head.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey fc-racer... so glad you're ok and the car too. You seem like you honestly have a great outlook on this and you'll only get better as a result Nice of you to share this and show us all how to learn
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too was worried about the conclusion to the thread. glad to hear the rig's ok and that you're recovered.

sounds like your ego is exactly where it's supposed to be. no excuses, very good info for others. tx for posting
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fc-racer
The GT2 got down to 1:19.5. I got down to 1:20.5. I don't know if these are quick times for TMP or not, but that's where we ended up. I got butterflies in my stomach for the first lap in the GT2, I never get that! It's just so damn fast!

They are great times for your first time out!

I did 1.18.5 at Solo 1 with my 01 Z06 MPSC.several years ago..was a record at that time.
A new C6 Z06 broke my record...somewhere around 1.16 1.17.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
RWK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the attitude check! Glad no hard impacts. The red mist is intoxicating indeed!

Just sent myself to Bertil Roos 3 day course to start the season, and also had to change my underwear after 1 session.

Quick Reply: Warning for first track day of the year