Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

maybe we are lucky the new gt3 doesn't have Direct Injection...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JET951
bingo. all engines have a little blow-by of some sort, on all cars this blow by exits the engine via crankcase ventilation, in this day and age because of environmental concerns blow by is pushed back into the intake system to be burned by the combustion process. this covers the whole intake system in oil vapour. in normal petrol engines this oil is washed off the intake tract via the fuel from the injectors. depending on the quality of fuel, will be dependent of how good the valves are kept clean.(cheap nasty fuels don't clean as good as Hi octane quality fuel)
there is a few ways of fixing this problem. either have the crankcase ventilation venting to atmosphere(not advisable as you will get oil dripping out, and a oil burning smell). the other is to install a catch can. this goes in line from the crankcase vent hose and the intake manifold. it must be drained periodically too.
I have never seen such deposits on a diesel engine with CCV into the intake
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I have never seen such deposits on a diesel engine with CCV into the intake
Possibly to do with different combustion temperatures??? Different oil viscosities?? Don't know enough about diesels tho....
Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
flatspin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd throw this up on this older post for everyone. My father was a mechanic (and 2 uncles, and, and, and, ). I used to work at his or my uncles shop while going to college. I've seen him use a product that he poured directly into the carborator/intake manifold of cars that had carbon buildup in the engine. (I think it was Sea Foam, not sure, this was quite a few years ago). The car was always warm and running, and would smoke horribly when he did this. I mean James Bond smokescreen levels of white smoke. But you could hear peices of carbon coming off the engine valves and interior, rattling around in the combustion chamber, and exiting the engine. Now this could prove a problem on a modern engine if you waited for the buildup to reach heavy levels. But doing this periodically should prevent any buildup from occuring. Obviously you need to research this. But I have used Sea Foam to clear a clogged jet on a friends motorcycle, so I can attest that it does work as advertised. Its kind of expensive, (about $9 for a 16 oz bottle, and they also sell by the gallon which is proportionally cheaper) but might be cheap insurance. You can add it to every tankful just like any other additive. Jim
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Its Sea Foam - its good stuff.

If you pull off the brake booster line, draw about 1/2 a quart directly into the intake manifold, watch the engine splutter to death (or turn it off if it doesn't), allow it to soak for 10mins, restart the engine - watch all the blue smoke (this is the carbon build up) exit your exhaust.
I use it on my engines every 10,000 miles or so.

Also its good to clean injectors by putting it in the fuel tank and remove deposits in the oil (I only add it to my oil about 200miles before I change it though)
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Its Sea Foam - its good stuff.

If you pull off the brake booster line, draw about 1/2 a quart directly into the intake manifold, watch the engine splutter to death (or turn it off if it doesn't), allow it to soak for 10mins, restart the engine - watch all the blue smoke (this is the carbon build up) exit your exhaust.
I use it on my engines every 10,000 miles or so.

Also its good to clean injectors by putting it in the fuel tank and remove deposits in the oil (I only add it to my oil about 200miles before I change it though)

People on the Mazdaspeed6 forums are using this and report good valve and Intake manifold cleaning with SeaFoam. I haven't done it yet.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

The only thing is if you are doing in on a turbocharged car (i.e. Mazdaspeed6) you need to be cognizant that you don't want the sea foam to cause pitting on the turbo blades.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 AM
JHoffman
Intermediate

I thought I could add to this.
I was the person who took these pictures. The vehicle was an 08 cTT w/ 2X,XXX miles. This is a hard driven car by an enthusiast. The vehicle had no driveability problems. What I think happens is that during valve overlap a thin film of unburnt fuel gets stuck to the back side of the valve. During EGR carbon is deposited on the back of the valve. I have seen fixes from media blasting to complete valve jobs.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JHoffman
I was the person who took these pictures. The vehicle was an 08 cTT w/ 2X,XXX miles. This is a hard driven car by an enthusiast. The vehicle had no driveability problems. What I think happens is that during valve overlap a thin film of unburnt fuel gets stuck to the back side of the valve. During EGR carbon is deposited on the back of the valve. I have seen fixes from media blasting to complete valve jobs.
Would periodic use of engine cleaners (such as Techron or Seafoam) take care of that?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JHoffman
What you're describing (EGR) damages plenum injection too. The photos you've taken appear to be related to miles of short stop-start commuting with no sustained highway miles where the cylinder head temps and gas flow are consistent and regular.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
aracer
Instructor

Default DFI

just like American politicians, we are now going to (already) see a breakdown in our expectation of service intervals. I would expect to see quite a number of increased valve jobs in my future on Porsche. The indicators are already prevelant. All types of systems that we became demanding for are now going to take charge of the wallet. It started with electric windows and now we cannot park without sensors or even turn on our wipers without help! AND help ain't on it's way....without extracting Bobby Dinero from u...:-(
Be careful for what u want......you getting it right now....How much is an oil change at a dealer now anyway???? That's just a change of oil, imagine something really important.

Quick Reply: maybe we are lucky the new gt3 doesn't have Direct Injection...