TWO LAPS | Roebling Road

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
Thanks!

Napleton is a dealership just outside Chicago. They are very supportitive of a group of enthusiasts that like to track their cars, many of us drive GT3.

They have arranged this arrive and drive program, that for this winter we had our cars shipped and stored in Florida and we have been driving some of the tracks that Chin Motorsports drives. They put the stickers on for fun.
Very cool!!

I will be sending this post to my Dealer's 'suggestion box' ....

Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

cool
Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job Jim! Wished I could have hung around to run with you guys. I think the orange car is actually a GT3 RS with mods. I talked to the owner on Friday and just missed Jack coming in the gate. Just to put things in perspective...a stock GT3 with R rubber will do a 19 at RRR and maybe a 18 with someone like Jack...a 997 RS like mine can do 17-18 with same driver and R rubber. The GT3 RS race car that was there should be able to do 11's or 12's at least and probably can do 9's with the right driver. Best 997 cup time I've seen is 9.

Roebling may seem like a boring track on the surface, but it does have some off camber turns and turn 9 is blind. Lots of people can drive it, but it takes a lot of work to drive it really fast. Takes more nads to take turn 3 (long sweeper) at 110mph than it does to take a hairpin at 60mph at a more technical track imo.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

What, no pics of my lowly M3?

I enjoyed the ride, Jim.

Brian
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Great job Jim! Wished I could have hung around to run with you guys. I think the orange car is actually a GT3 RS with mods. I talked to the owner on Friday and just missed Jack coming in the gate. Just to put things in perspective...a stock GT3 with R rubber will do a 19 at RRR and maybe a 18 with someone like Jack...a 997 RS like mine can do 17-18 with same driver and R rubber. The GT3 RS race car that was there should be able to do 11's or 12's at least and probably can do 9's with the right driver. Best 997 cup time I've seen is 9.

Roebling may seem like a boring track on the surface, but it does have some off camber turns and turn 9 is blind. Lots of people can drive it, but it takes a lot of work to drive it really fast. Takes more nads to take turn 3 (long sweeper) at 110mph than it does to take a hairpin at 60mph at a more technical track imo.
It all depends on the driver. My 996 GT3 with Motons CS and TRG toe links has done a 1:18 on worn out street tires (Advan Neova AD07) from the 2008 One Lap of America. I wasn't driving as I am the slo mo driver. My E46M3 has done 1:20.4 on worn out street tires from the 2007 One Lap of America. I do agree that RR is not boring if you do turns 1/2, turn 3, and turn 8 FAST. I do need bigger cahones

Peter

Peter
Old 03-31-2009, 05:55 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
It all depends on the driver. My 996 GT3 with Motons CS and TRG toe links has done a 1:18 on worn out street tires (Advan Neova AD07) from the 2008 One Lap of America. I wasn't driving as I am the slo mo driver. My E46M3 has done 1:20.4 on worn out street tires from the 2007 One Lap of America. I do agree that RR is not boring if you do turns 1/2, turn 3, and turn 8 FAST. I do need bigger cahones

Peter

Peter
Yes, but I'm speaking of stock suspensions. Motons and toe links definitely change things and times. A 1:20 would be a good time with a 6 GT3 with stock suspension.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2U_DEIaOks E46M3 on worn out Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 from the 2007 One Lap of America. Best time was a 1:20.4.

I don't have any video of the 996GT3 @ RR the same weekend but it ran a 1:18 + on Yokohama Advan Neova AD07s from the 2008 One Lap of America. RR is a track that is easy to drive fast, BUT to drive it @ the limit takes a serious set of Cahones. Turns 1/2 turn 3 and turn 8 are wicked fast when done properly.

Peter
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2U_DEIaOks E46M3 on worn out Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 from the 2007 One Lap of America. Best time was a 1:20.4.

I don't have any video of the 996GT3 @ RR the same weekend but it ran a 1:18 + on Yokohama Advan Neova AD07s from the 2008 One Lap of America. RR is a track that is easy to drive fast, BUT to drive it @ the limit takes a serious set of Cahones. Turns 1/2 turn 3 and turn 8 are wicked fast when done properly.

Peter
Now that's getting everything out of the tires. (and the car) Who is the driver?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
What, no pics of my lowly M3?

I enjoyed the ride, Jim.

Brian
I was looking through my pictures, I have one red M3, but I think it was a newer one.

Thanks again for everything, I wish I could drive 3 and the last corner as well as you do. I like that track, so much to learn there.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

The orange car started life as a 996 GT3R I think, then got upgraded to a GT3RS by the Hazardous team, and then has been further upgraded when it was last restored. Fun car for sure!

I was slowly improving all day Sunday and the best time someone grabbed for me was 1.23 much later in the day when some new rotors were put on, but I was mostly several seconds slower than that.

This was a fun track, a bit different than I remember it 4 years ago. I like it a lot.

I wish I could drive 3 and the last corner better... next time!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Now that's getting everything out of the tires. (and the car) Who is the driver?
I wish it was me but it was Ian Stewart. SCCA AutoX National Champion in my GT3 in Super Stock. He has amazing car control skills.

Peter
Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Jim, the video makes it appear that you're too early in 5 and 6. Roebling is a great track, turn 3 and 7 (with what they're calling it nowadays, heh) are great places to pick up speed, but T7 in particular has claimed quite a few cars, so I'm hesitant to get my students to push much harder there. Alas, most people take that too early also.

Anyway, "down south", you ought to hit up VIR (I'll be instructing there again this weekend), and CMP, especially with the current configuration/pavement. Road Atlanta is another favorite, but I don't like doing it with NASA, as they often are too crowded. Road Atlanta with Chin is probably a good combination.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Thanks, I was early everywhere... I was trying to adjust all weekend. I really enjoyed this track, I will be back.

Everyone in our group wants to try VIR and Road Atlanta. There has not been much talk about CMP, we need to research that a bit.

We have been having a good time with the Chin group, probably stick with that combination when we can.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
Thanks, I was early everywhere... I was trying to adjust all weekend. I really enjoyed this track, I will be back.

Everyone in our group wants to try VIR and Road Atlanta. There has not been much talk about CMP, we need to research that a bit.

We have been having a good time with the Chin group, probably stick with that combination when we can.
Jim,

For RR you might also try Seat Time. They limit the cars on track to around 15 per 20 min session. For CMP the best deal is Turn One run by the track. Brian Smith is also available to coach and he is worth the money.

Peter

Quick Reply: TWO LAPS | Roebling Road