Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

safety of harness mounting points on seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default safety of harness mounting points on seat

We are having a little debate whether it is safe to attach the inner lap belt and sub strap(s) to the seat (e.g., 996 GT3 seat with B-K sub bar). The concern is that the slider or seat mounts would give in a heavy impact so the harness is unanchored at the front and on the right side, and that eyebolts through the tunnel and the floor are required. How does Porsche secure these harnesses when a GT3 comes from the factory (obviously, sport pack for Euro delivery)? It would help if we had definite confirmation from the factory. Also, other suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you will get many answers to this question depending on what your needs are and what you are doing with the car.
For a race car a full cage and belts bolted through tunnel, side of the car and sub-belt mounted with an eye bolt through the
floor is probably the safest way to go and probably required to pass tech for a race car.

As far as how Porsche did it with the 996GT3 style seats they used their own sub bar and the Schroth Harnesses.
You can view these items on Suncoast's Website. Porsche is also mounting the lap belts on new cars with the sport seat option
to the seat. I wouldn't debate that the through the car method is probably the safest way to go but the Porsche seat rail and
mounting bolts (4) per seat are very strong.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...e=997seatsroll

This sub mount bar is not compatible with the new 997GT2 style seat without modification and will also interfere with
the sensors under the passenger seat.

I just did the 997GT2 seat conversion to my 997S and used the Schroth GT3 belts with the twist style cam lock. I have
the lap belts mounted to the seats and the sub belt mounted with an eyebolt and plate under the seat in the floor of the car.
The seats are designed to have the lap belts bolted to them and the Schroth GT3 style belt has the specific end on them to
fit correctly. For my needs and wanting to keep the car as original as possible this was the best option.

If you need a specific picture of something I can take it for you.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 996toomey; 03-22-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That car looks so beautiful inside.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
That car looks so beautiful inside.
Thank you. It was so nice to try the seats yesterday at the Triple Crown at Big Willow.

I know the seats are not the best for racing but compared to my stock comfort seats and 3 pt belts these seats with the Schroth Harnesses were a night and day improvement. It was great to just drive and not have to brace myself in the car with my left leg.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Many of us have the 996 GT3 seats and have the right side lap belts and sub straps attached to them. A question has been raised. I love those GT2 seats and would have bought them in a heartbeat if they were available in 2007. Of course, they raise the same issue.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM
fve
Advanced

Originally Posted by Terry L
We are having a little debate whether it is safe to attach the inner lap belt and sub strap(s) to the seat (e.g., 996 GT3 seat with B-K sub bar). The concern is that the slider or seat mounts would give in a heavy impact so the harness is unanchored at the front and on the right side, and that eyebolts through the tunnel and the floor are required. How does Porsche secure these harnesses when a GT3 comes from the factory (obviously, sport pack for Euro delivery)? It would help if we had definite confirmation from the factory. Also, other suggestions will be appreciated.
Sorry. My bad. I think that i am the genesis of this little debate. I am just trying to set things up safely...and there seems little consensus.

So, i take it that you have the harness mounted to the seat on the tunnel side and the b pillar on the door side. Hmmm. is not the seat (heck the whole system) designed to even have the harness mounted to the seat on the door side...

I would worry that different lap belt lengths may be dangerous. when i compare the lap-belt-to-seat distance, it is several inches shorter than the lap-belt-to-b-pillar distance. could that not, in a accident, induce some unpleasant dynamics (uneven stretching and torque on the body).

Importantly, is it not best to have the shortest possible length of lap, sub-strap, and shoulder harness possible to allow the harness to do its job? That seems to be a significant advantage of the porsche/schroth system.

I ask to many questions.

sorry to anyone in eastern pa with a headache from this.
fve
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can concur.

996tommey's car and seats look awesome.

It all looks flawless.

Stainless bar + GT2 Carbon backed seats + Black harness = PURE BEAUTY!

Toomey you definitely did it right! I jealous.

Quick Reply: safety of harness mounting points on seat