Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lifting System for GT3.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lifting System for GT3.

Anyone will order the front lifting system for your new GT3?

I am considering to take this, with this option maybe I will use my car more without worry to damage the front.

However the the front lip is cheap and this system is not, so what's your thoughts?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i think the lift system takes away from the pure simple idea of the gt3. perhaps on a turbo or luxury carrera, but the gt3 with it dosnt appeal to me as it is supposed to be a lightweight.

if you dont plan on tracking the car it might be something to consider getting. But for resale i dont think it wil be saught after.

nice idea all the same however.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It weighs only 10 pounds, is mounted low and towards the centre of the car!!! I'd rather go on a diet and lose that weight off my *** rather than destroy splitter after splitter. New car has cup splitter on it... probably costs a whole lot more and isn't as flexibly...

Resale is no major issue, just practicality like being able to get into your driveway or getting into a service station without leaving half your car behind.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

So who knows how much a cup splitter is and how long does it take to replace if you do it yourself?

Maybe I am not trusting enough, but I do not like the idea of having to replace or repair this thing when your warranty runs out. This may be the same reason why I do not order the new optional engine mounts. Still on the fence about this but will probably order a "raw" GT3 with minimal options. I do think these options are great, but each must decide what they want out of their car.

The most important option for me will be the Euro/Tourist delivery package. I just hope my dealers build date is not in the dead of winter. If so will probably pass on this idea.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

We are installing a KW system on a GT3RS will post pictures and feed back once completed.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
flash1034
Pro

Im ordering it. I have a steep driveway and scrape the heck out of my current GT3.

Flash
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
We are installing a KW system on a GT3RS will post pictures and feed back once completed.
I certainly hope Porsche has come up with something a lot smarter than things like the KW system -- even if the KW "yoke" was mounted at the top of the strut (somehow?) at least it wouldn't add unsprung weight, but I still question having anything stacked on the strut.

Then again, Porsche has loaded PASM onto the strut. My give up.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever

I am considering to take this, with this option maybe I will use my car more without worry to damage the front.

However the the front lip is cheap and this system is not, so what's your thoughts?
I'll think about it. Price would factor in. I think it will add to resale appeal (if not price.)

I tend to agree that it goes against the grain of a "thoroughbred lightweight" but it does enable someone to have the car at "race circuit" ride height (and inch lower) and still negotiate street obstables -- after all, the GT3 is entirely a street car that's fun on the track, not a track car that's okay on the street.

Much the same reasoning for the engine mounts, but more "tinker" factor in the engine mounts, which I can't wait to rip off the car and see how they tick. Should be a great retrofit for 997.1 and 996 variants. Maybe even for 993 cars if affordable. I have solid mounts in the 993 (and past GT3's) and if anything, I enjoy the added NVH and certainly don't miss that "subharmonic" shove of the pendulum when the conventional engine mounts load up. Solid mounts make the car feel 500lbs lighter.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Carrera GT, can you describe what you mean by this...

"Solid mounts make the car feel 500lbs lighter. "

Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney

Thanks
no.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks
My guess is that if you have equally soft bushings in a heavy and light car, the light car will still feel like it has a less laggy soft response because less weight will strain these bushings less. If you increase the stiffness of the bushings in the heavy car you regain this responsiveness and remove a little of the slop in heavy cars. More technically, any "spring" in your car resonates at sqrt(k/m) where k is the stiffness of the spring and m is the mass. If you reduce the mass your frequencies will go up and the car will feel more responsive, this also happens if you increase k.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

if i intend to sell the car, i may get lift system and motormount. i dont know what the next owner would want. most owners say they are hardcore, but i have never met any hardcore GT3 drivers yet, and i know a whole lot of GT3 owners.

if i were to keep the car for myself, i would not get lift system. i enjoy hearing my chin spoiler scrape up my driveway. but then i also love the sound of fingers scarping on the old black board.

i would run solid engine and tranny mounts so i can rattle my kidney and fillings.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 AM
user 8830374
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever

Wonder if it could be retrofited to a 997 GT3 1?
Wonder how expensive?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thanks
I believe Carrera GT is trying to say that solid mounts keep the chassis and the engine (the other heavy component on a car) moving together and therefore the car takes corners without influence from the momentum of the engine on the chassis. Moving together, you get less instability mid corner as is typical of a lighter car...

On the other hand, when there is movement in the engine mounts, you have the swinging mass of the engine influencing the chassis mid corner and you get a more unsettled feel typical of a heavier "barge" of a car... Therefore the car is made to feel like it is carrying more weight than it is thru the corners...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Wonder if it could be retrofited to a 997 GT3 1?
Wonder how expensive?
You should be able to retrofit the system to a 997.1 quite easily... The issue will most likely be cost...

The system consists of a pump and small tank so some electrical will be required to run a switch to the dash and power... Cost will come in the form of the replacement front dampers that accept the pneumatic line... Knowing Porsche, I'm sure they won't come cheap as a spare part...

Quick Reply: Lifting System for GT3.