Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT3 on street

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since my investments have ruled out a 997.2, I am stiffening the springs and shocks with the Damptronic B16s. I wonder if Porsche will be selling the magic motor mounts and what the price might be? If they are available for a reasonable price, I will be happy for this year. Unless I also find a set of GT2 seats...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
If I were buying a new GT3, I'd definitely get the active mounts and the lift system.

The mounts are a brilliant idea. I hate it how everything resonates and buzzes at 3,000rpm in the interior and how the engine feels coarse until 4,000rpm. This is due to a harder than required street mount and a softer than desired race mount. My 993TT was much smoother in this regard, but the engine moved around a lot in that car on the track.

I have full poly engine mounts on my racecar and can tell you that it introduces a whole suite of problems on a car that isn't checked over every week. Everything, and I mean everything, comes loose due to the vibration.

I'd love to have a mount that transmits less NVH through on the street, and that stiffens up to produce less movement on the track. I love advances like this, you get to have your cake and eat it.
"I hate it how everything resonates and buzzes at 3,000rpm"
Agreed. It suggests they didn't have enough R&D time. Or there's some engine strength issues. Theoretically, the 997.2 case is a lot stiffer ... are they getting ready for DI in that case?

"993TT was much smoother"
Again, agreed! When I start the 993 (usually standing outside the car reaching in) the exhaust sounds like it's ready for a fight, but when you sit in the car, there's no NVH. And my 993 has solid mounts and hard bushings. I haven't had "nut and bolt" issues, but it is held together with loctite and I don't track it much -- to my shame -- at all.

"The mounts are a brilliant idea"
Hardly brilliant (since it's a licensed technology, I think from GM) but now that Porsche is using the electromagnetic "goop" technology, I hope it tells us that's the harbinger of the next PASM. I'm not looking forward to a 911 that uses lasers and sonar to "read" the road surface and tweak electronic goop dampers, but if they're going to put active suspension in a GT3, let it be the smart stuff (sans "forward looking" aperture radar, etc.) at least it will be light and fast.

I want to make this promise to myself -- the next GT3, I'll pull the PASM and put some good, simple, old-fashioned coil-overs on it.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Wayward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera GT, some impressions...

IMO, the 993TT was horrific on a track or otherwise. Vague steering and vague handling to the nth power, to be blunt. A failed marketing experiment in 4wd and the result of insufficient R&D investment (merely better comfort than the 964's). With 2wd, perhaps proper tuning would've overcome its enormous compromises.

The 997, be it GT3 or otherwise, is light years better dynamically. The 993 TT was, as the professor so eloquently put it -- great for a trip 'round the block to pick up a bottle of milk. In all other respects it was a handful and not competitive, much less confidence-inspiring by any measure without loads of modifications.

Of course, back in the day, it was ok, but we're speaking in terms of present day. All of this just MHO.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
scss98
Instructor

Hey Terry Love to hear more about this B16 suspension you are putting in.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Since my investments have ruled out a 997.2, I am stiffening the springs and shocks with the Damptronic B16s. I wonder if Porsche will be selling the magic motor mounts and what the price might be? If they are available for a reasonable price, I will be happy for this year. Unless I also find a set of GT2 seats...
GT2 seats at suncoast porsche parts dept. maybe $6k/pair

why not just get solid or semi sold motor/tranny mounts. they make a big difference in feel.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

man can't wait too hear with respect to that dynamic engine mounts- too harsh on soft setting and too soft on sport setting. I'm waiting. I check off on that option and lift option too. For u guys to discern engine moves too/fro we got f1 drivers out there. Mike
Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hey SCSS98, glad to see you are using the pic I took of you at Summit Point from last year as your avatar! Looks pretty cool. It was fun to photoshop it. I immediately reccognized it. Nice to see some pics go to good use.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
man can't wait too hear with respect to that dynamic engine mounts- too harsh on soft setting and too soft on sport setting. I'm waiting. I check off on that option and lift option too. For u guys to discern engine moves too/fro we got f1 drivers out there. Mike
I hear you. May be hyperbole or overkill for most users/applications, but then again maybe not. But how can you decide before its tested and you know one way or the other? BTW & FWIW, thats what the trusted Auto Mags and early adopters are for ..
Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Since my investments have ruled out a 997.2,
Me Too!

I am stiffening the springs and shocks with the Damptronic B16s. I wonder if Porsche will be selling the magic motor mounts and what the price might be? If they are available for a reasonable price, I will be happy for this year. Unless I also find a set of GT2 seats...
I have been thinking about this too ...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Gents, I say this with some cheek but I think we need to harden the f#k up about the rear wing...

Unlike many other manufacturers, Porsche put it there to fulfill a purpose... increased downforce, not bling-bling... As was clearly indicated in the podcast interview on DR republic (link in other thread), downforce was increased nearly "3" fold... thats a big difference (more so than even the previous generation RS) and the only way to achieve it is through a combination of surface area and shaping... A concern with the 997.1 was downforce and high speed stability and so many guys here have upgraded splitters and wings for the track which confirms this... they've attempted to address the issue... Who here has seen a discreet wing on an F1 car or a touring car??? I think not...

Simply put, it was used to fulfill a purpose-downforce, not for show... and the size is the compromise...
Personally I like the wing; and I agree it's there for a practical and laudible engineering purpose, style is secondary ... we should applaude Porsche
for this significant improvement in F/R downforce ...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
GT2 seats at suncoast porsche parts dept. maybe $6k/pair

why not just get solid or semi sold motor/tranny mounts. they make a big difference in feel.
Because I don't feel like spending six grand on seats and I'd like to keep the car streetable.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:47 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Because I don't feel like spending six grand on seats and I'd like to keep the car streetable.
oh, no... you are beginning to sound like my wife... with logic and brain....

you have been assimilated.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

I have been running the 996 GT3 seats on the street for over a year now - I think they are "streetable". The new GT2 seats, with the folding backs and slightly wider seat, look like they would be even more "streetable". And the cost from Suncoast is well worth it.

Now I just have to find out how much I can peddle the 996 GT3 seats and the unused stock seats for.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lawjdc

Now I just have to find out how much I can peddle the 996 GT3 seats and the unused stock seats for.
hard to sell the oem seats, plus you need those when you trade in the 7gt3 and pick up the 3.8L.

you can sell your GT3 seats at about 2000-2200 usd
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Not a fan of that wing or that wheel design (Turbo centerlock wheels look much better). Other than that, I really like it.

Quick Reply: New GT3 on street