Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

...and the cream rises to the top.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

there's a GT2 I don't want to get second hand. How many times did that guy misshift? Every up-shift seemed to be a problem of keep the foot in it with mistimed coordination.

I wonder if one of the GT2 hot rodders could comment on what shift points actually bring the best acceleration in their tests -- I'm guessing the turbos would rather work on torque and each up-shift should land around peak-torque in the next higher gear.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he was powershifting without lifting the throttle to keep the boost up.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I think he was powershifting without lifting the throttle to keep the boost up.
I'm sure that's the case and the engine is surely protected from even the most ham-fisted anxious wannebe boy racer. But isn't there about five million lines of code in the boost controller to manage boost, vane setting ... multi-flangic peri-opto tri-laters without using the rev-limiter as an email of a shift-light.

Throwing a rod seems slower than shifting from peak power to peak torque. : ) I'm too sick with the flu to bother looking at the dyno charts I'm sure I'd find in posts on gigawatt upgrades to "the two."
Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Shift to redline is almost always the only answer in a modern car, GT2 included.

The variable timing, camshaft and admission systems allow modern engines to sustain relatively high levels of torque all the way up to redline.

Yes, peak torque might happen in the midrange, but the difference (%) between that peak torque and torque at redline is less than the demultiplying effect on torque of going into the next gear.

As it has been discussed at length in other threads, there's only one technically correct answer: Horsepower (torque x rpms) rules over torque. Clear proof is why the Scud is just as fast as the GT2 despite the huge torque deficit....
Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happen to me at red line. When you shift at redline, you push the clutch in and take your foot of the throttle the car still revs up another 500 RPM. I just thought it is because of the light flywheel or maybe an electronic assist to keep the turbos spooled up. I am not quite sure why it does this but it is a little unnerving.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
Shift to redline is almost always the only answer in a modern car, GT2 included.

The variable timing, camshaft and admission systems allow modern engines to sustain relatively high levels of torque all the way up to redline.

Yes, peak torque might happen in the midrange, but the difference (%) between that peak torque and torque at redline is less than the demultiplying effect on torque of going into the next gear.

As it has been discussed at length in other threads, there's only one technically correct answer: Horsepower (torque x rpms) rules over torque. Clear proof is why the Scud is just as fast as the GT2 despite the huge torque deficit....
s/admission/emission/ ?

Anyway, I was thinking about the GT2 specifically, not general concepts. Porsche put out gear charts for the GT3 (I wonder if they did the same for other cars, I think I saw a similar "tech" booklet for the 996 Turbo at one point) where you could see the overlap of each gear and decide to up-shift from say 2nd to 3rd at a different shift point than 3rd to 4th and so on.

My primitive old 993 Turbo would much rather shift up and get back into the meat of the torque curve than wring out the last rpm off the top -- in terms of the stability of the car as well as the measured performance using data acquisition. Of course, in 1st and 2nd, it's more an automatic timing like muscle memory because there's absolutely no time to be trying to study the tach and anticipate the shift. I could understand how the driver in the video would have trouble in 1st and 2nd, but he continued to demand a lot of strain of the engine through every shift.

As for the Scuderia besting the GT2 or vice versa, I think those two runs were unconvincing. If you run a couple of rolling acceleration tests and the results are so completely inconsistent, you don't call it a draw, you run again until there's a consistent outcome.

The Scuderia has the fastest F1 box that's worth a lot in outright time over distance (and perfect up-shifts) and in my humble from those obscure videos, it seemed to have the edge over the GT2.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
s/admission/emission/ ?

Anyway, I was thinking about the GT2 specifically, not general concepts. Porsche put out gear charts for the GT3 (I wonder if they did the same for other cars, I think I saw a similar "tech" booklet for the 996 Turbo at one point) where you could see the overlap of each gear and decide to up-shift from say 2nd to 3rd at a different shift point than 3rd to 4th and so on.

My primitive old 993 Turbo would much rather shift up and get back into the meat of the torque curve than wring out the last rpm off the top -- in terms of the stability of the car as well as the measured performance using data acquisition. Of course, in 1st and 2nd, it's more an automatic timing like muscle memory because there's absolutely no time to be trying to study the tach and anticipate the shift. I could understand how the driver in the video would have trouble in 1st and 2nd, but he continued to demand a lot of strain of the engine through every shift.

As for the Scuderia besting the GT2 or vice versa, I think those two runs were unconvincing. If you run a couple of rolling acceleration tests and the results are so completely inconsistent, you don't call it a draw, you run again until there's a consistent outcome.

The Scuderia has the fastest F1 box that's worth a lot in outright time over distance (and perfect up-shifts) and in my humble from those obscure videos, it seemed to have the edge over the GT2.
I meant Vario Ram systems (i.e. all modern variable systems that allow any engine to breath almost as good in high rpm than in the midrange... Turbos included)

It's not only conceptual. Its practical. Take the HP and TQ chart and look at peak HP and redline torque. Then look at the % difference between that TQ and peak TQ. Most likely that % difference is less than the % between the first 4 ratios on the GT2 transmission (might be a close call for 4-5-6). This means you should rev up to redline.

The problem is that is very easy to bump into the limiter, therefore making that redline run slower. But that's a driver's problem...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Those guys in the BMI video are not some kids off the street, though.. some have pretty extensive racing resume. The guy that's always smiling (drift king.. Tsuchiya!) raced in LeMans many times, taking class win in his NSX if I remember correctly..

Last edited by cfjan; 03-01-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah not even close to a "ham-fisted anxious wannebe boy racer"

I would never put Tsuchiya and bad driving in the same sentence. I think he's probably the best Japanese driver from recentish years. Although, Orido is really good too. Hell, all the drivers at BMI/Hot Version are ridiculous.

Tsuchiya proof-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFU9aUB0scA

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZcxS2pQiM0
Old 03-03-2009, 02:13 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I thought the GTR would grow on me if I see enough them and I have. Yeah it's growing on me- it's got bigger every time I see one. Not a car for me. Mike

Quick Reply: 997 Gt2 v. Scud & Godzilla