Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Christophorus quote – Porsche not race tested anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Christophorus quote – Porsche not race tested anymore...

I received the latest Christophorus issue yesterday. Check out page 40 with the following quote under the 961 article; “There is an unwritten law in the early days at Porsche: anything that goes into production first has to pass a trail by fire in racing”.

I wonder when the early days ended. Not that this is an unknown phenomenon but I guess this is an admission that race testing is not needed anymore. I wonder how this will play out when they change the GT1 block on a future generation GT3. I’d say this isn’t the smartest marketing admission from their marketing magazine...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of another car in the sub $100k category that is as racetrack capable as the new generation 911's. I thrashed a 997 PDK around a test track, did drag-race launches again and again and it ran like a clock. I did 12 track days in the GT3 last year and didn't even need to add oil. What more do people want??
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with both posts but the early days may not have ended for sure. the 997.2 has the GT1 block in it.

First I like that the GT1 block is in our cars because of it's racing heritage, it may leak and it may smoke sometimes but it's built like a tank. Obviously the 997.2 engines did not meet the specifications required by GT3 (GT2 and Turbo) owners or else every race team in the field would be jumping on the extra power because quite honestly in ALMS they are under powered and could use some help.

You can't beat even a standard 997s for reliability and performance. Yes a the Z06 and GT-R are both faster for less, but my GT3 has over 6000 true track miles on it (don't ask for my VIN for when I sell it) and the car is perfect and has always been driven home 50-150 miles from each track event moments after the last run session. Hitler says you can only launch a GT-R 5 times and then you have to spend 20k which makes it a 100k car. The Z06 is ok, but the best part about it is that when it breaks there are 20 mechanics that can work on that engine within yelling distance for when it leaves you stranded.

Talk about more expensive cars, Ferrari, Aston and Lambo are not well known for their longevity on the track, I've seen them all go home on trailers (one guy 3 separate times.. it was sad)
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Wayward
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brian S
I agree with both posts but the early days may not have ended for sure. the 997.2 has the GT1 block in it.
I'll assume that you're referring the the GT3? The regular ol' water-cooled carrera -- since '98 -- has been steadily decontented to the point where even the LSD is now an option. (And of course the Metzger engine is now history in said models as well -- it's much cheaper of course).

That aside, rumor has it that you get a free cat (er, *****) with every std 911 purchase.

Meow.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Brian S;6330307]I agree with both posts but the early days may not have ended for sure. the 997.2 has the GT1 block in it.

You can't beat even a standard 997s for reliability and performance. Yes a the Z06 and GT-R are both faster for less, but my GT3 has over 6000 true track miles on it (don't ask for my VIN for when I sell it) and the car is perfect and has always been driven home 50-150 miles from each track event moments after the last run session. Hitler says you can only launch a GT-R 5 times and then you have to spend 20k which makes it a 100k car. The Z06 is ok, but the best part about it is that when it breaks there are 20 mechanics that can work on that engine within yelling distance for when it leaves you stranded.

Stock Porsche's have earned a great reputation as a "track car". It seems their engines are able to handle reasonable increases in hp. without causing a lot of reliability problems.

The problem with Z06's (both the C-5 & C-6) begin when the owner starts down the slippery slope of modding the engines. It's almost a direct ratio... the more you mod... the greater the reduction in reliability.

The weak link with the Vettes have been the brakes... which you can address with improved rotors & pads, or go to a Big Brake Package.

Nissan's GT-R is showing early signs of major problems... if you push it into a "track car".

Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayward
I'll assume that you're referring the the GT3? The regular ol' water-cooled carrera -- since '98 -- has been steadily decontented to the point where even the LSD is now an option. (And of course the Metzger engine is now history in said models as well -- it's much cheaper of course).

That aside, rumor has it that you get a free cat (er, *****) with every std 911 purchase.

Meow.
I am vaguely aware of other models, I was of course speaking of the GT3 (the only true car in the lineup since the GT2 is so soft, but fast.. I will give it that)
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I received the latest Christophorus issue yesterday. Check out page 40 with the following quote under the 961 article; “There is an unwritten law in the early days at Porsche: anything that goes into production first has to pass a trail by fire in racing”.

I wonder when the early days ended. Not that this is an unknown phenomenon but I guess this is an admission that race testing is not needed anymore. I wonder how this will play out when they change the GT1 block on a future generation GT3. I’d say this isn’t the smartest marketing admission from their marketing magazine...
I dunno about the "unwritten law" of the 961's time. How do the 912, 924 NA, and 928 (yes, they raced it, but BARELY) fit into that "law"? Then as now, Porsche races what it wants to race, and what makes sense to race. You have to go back to 1965 or earlier to find a time when Porsche truly gave all of its products (i.e. the 356) a "trial by fire." And, even back then, those were some pretty special 356s. 550s and 718s and 904s were the real race cars. And then you look at how long it was before the 911 was fashioned into a race car, rather than a street car running rallies.

pete

Quick Reply: Christophorus quote – Porsche not race tested anymore...