Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Project of the week: 997 GT2

Thought I'd end the week by showing you a nifty White 997GT2 which came by for some surgery. Before anyone says anything... I'm sticking to my guns with it being a perfectly balanced car so no HP additions required

On tap was a black RSS roll bar, Schroth Harnesses, front screen kit and a fire extinguisher kit....

Out come the CF GT2 sport seats (40 pounds each btw).

The RSS roll bar (powder coated black) fits in very nicely and allows for full reclining of these sport seats as well.

Next up were the 6-point Schroth harness restraints.

Then it was on to the screen kit and FE Kit... except Cargraphic doesn't make a screen kit and we don't make an FE kit for those seats (yet)

The customer wanted to protect his radiators for track duty just like we do on all the GT3 bumpers, however Cargraphic doesn't make any screen kits so James had to DIY it (and enjoy the finger cuts)... There's a lot more nooks and crannies to the GT2 screens but it came out ok in the end

Off with the bumper... one part I wished I'd photo'd is the weird radiator support beam which is made out of CF. There's one piece of CF for some reason there and I'm wondering if they had left-overs from the CGT?

Here's James cutting/fitting (his fingers) etc..

After paint...

And now installed...

Our 996GT3 Fire Extinguisher seats really only works with those seats and the 997GT3 seats (with minor mods) but James re-worked one for these new sport seats

Customer went with black...

There she is decked out in light weight Champion wheels ready for the track

Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!

How are the screens held in place against the bumper?

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Nice work!

How are the screens held in place against the bumper?

Cheers,
Cheers Allan... We actually did them the same way as Cargraphic ones with min-zip ties.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Cheers Allan... We actually did them the same way as Cargraphic ones with min-zip ties.
Thanks Alex!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Dang that is nice! AWESOME work on the screens too! I wish i lived near you guys as I'd love screens on my 09 997.2.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Alex that is a great job. The only thing that bothers me about the GT2 is the plastic intercooler intake ducts. I wish porsche had done real body work ducts ala the 993 TT S. it just kinda cheapens what is a great looking car. Can you imagine a F430 with plastic pop in ducts like that. I mean for $200K
But they have been putting in those plastic pop in ducts since the 996 TT.
sorry about the diatribe GREAT job!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 AM
Wayward
Advanced

Can someone (obviously not the greedy bastards running this site) inform me how to post a new thread without getting the "The requested URL /hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe was not found on this server." message????????

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayward
Can someone (obviously not the greedy bastards running this site) inform me how to post a new thread without getting the "The requested URL /hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe was not found on this server." message????????

Thanks.
Okay, you've posted the same thing to several threads. Enough.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Thought I'd end the week by showing you a nifty White 997GT2 which came by for some surgery. Before anyone says anything... I'm sticking to my guns with it being a perfectly balanced car so no HP additions required

On tap was a black RSS roll bar, Schroth Harnesses, front screen kit and a fire extinguisher kit....

Out come the CF GT2 sport seats (40 pounds each btw).

The RSS roll bar (powder coated black) fits in very nicely and allows for full reclining of these sport seats as well.

Next up were the 6-point Schroth harness restraints.

Then it was on to the screen kit and FE Kit... except Cargraphic doesn't make a screen kit and we don't make an FE kit for those seats (yet)

The customer wanted to protect his radiators for track duty just like we do on all the GT3 bumpers, however Cargraphic doesn't make any screen kits so James had to DIY it (and enjoy the finger cuts)... There's a lot more nooks and crannies to the GT2 screens but it came out ok in the end

Off with the bumper... one part I wished I'd photo'd is the weird radiator support beam which is made out of CF. There's one piece of CF for some reason there and I'm wondering if they had left-overs from the CGT?

Here's James cutting/fitting (his fingers) etc..

After paint...

And now installed...

Our 996GT3 Fire Extinguisher seats really only works with those seats and the 997GT3 seats (with minor mods) but James re-worked one for these new sport seats

Customer went with black...

There she is decked out in light weight Champion wheels ready for the track

Nice handywork on the screens! I did that once ... never again ... : )

Impressive how the fire-ex is white, but once it's installed, it turns black! Wow.

And a subtle touch to have the enormous GT2 wing, but remove the GT2 badge to create a mystery about the true identity of the thing disappearing into the distance with a faint blue shift. : )

I really like the GT3 in white, but the GT2 seems to have too much "going on" with the plastic grills, the saleen gills, it's all a bit much in white. I imagine this is a car that works in GT Silver -- even the Leno "infomercial" car in red with black wheels was pretty good (and I'm not a big fan of Guards Red since the late 80's.)

But I do think you need to get your hands on this car again and get into the engine!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dang that is nice! AWESOME work on the screens too! I wish i lived near you guys as I'd love screens on my 09 997.2.
Thanks Mike! I took at look at our PDK car and it's doable but I don't think the radiators are as exposed as on the GT2 or especially 3

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Alex that is a great job. The only thing that bothers me about the GT2 is the plastic intercooler intake ducts. I wish porsche had done real body work ducts ala the 993 TT S. it just kinda cheapens what is a great looking car. Can you imagine a F430 with plastic pop in ducts like that. I mean for $200K
But they have been putting in those plastic pop in ducts since the 996 TT.
sorry about the diatribe GREAT job!!!
Thanks Paul and I remember those from the TT S... Those Plastic ducts are not fun to remove either:P

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Nice handywork on the screens! I did that once ... never again ... : )

Impressive how the fire-ex is white, but once it's installed, it turns black! Wow.

And a subtle touch to have the enormous GT2 wing, but remove the GT2 badge to create a mystery about the true identity of the thing disappearing into the distance with a faint blue shift. : )

I really like the GT3 in white, but the GT2 seems to have too much "going on" with the plastic grills, the saleen gills, it's all a bit much in white. I imagine this is a car that works in GT Silver -- even the Leno "infomercial" car in red with black wheels was pretty good (and I'm not a big fan of Guards Red since the late 80's.)

But I do think you need to get your hands on this car again and get into the engine!
Hehe thanks and good eye on the extinguisher change out He wanted black when given the choice:P I also think the 3 has a better overall look than the 2. I'm not keen on the rear bumper either....
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I rode in this car for a session at Thunder Hill over the weekend. Great weapon and the owner is not afraid to use it!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i love that car in white

it is so nice to see guys buying these for the track - major respect to the owner

i'm a hp junky but have grown to love the gt3's linear power, but without a doubt i will buy a white gt2 and track it with slicks one time before i die (a likely event with that car)

i agree about keeping the power stock - i would however spend money on a baseball bat in order to fit 345 hoosiers on the rear and seriously upgrade the LSD
Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Good to see the pictures. Alex did a great job on the car without a lot of time because I wanted to get to Thunderhill. I must say the car is everything I hoped it would be. It is like my 996 gt3 but a little easier to drive hard and a lot, a way lot, more power. Pushing the throttle to the floor in either third or fourth really is a sensation. After a few more track days I will be smoother and faster. Couldn't imagine getting one of these cars and not tracking it.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

That car is fantastic! rodjac, you gotta love it.
Alex, great job.
ps I just read the Jan. Total 911 article on the 700hp turbo.
Love your work, nice write up.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I rode in this car for a session at Thunder Hill over the weekend. Great weapon and the owner is not afraid to use it!
Very cool that you did and I'm sure it was fun! The owner seems _very_ cool and has the right idea about the usage

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
i love that car in white

it is so nice to see guys buying these for the track - major respect to the owner

i'm a hp junky but have grown to love the gt3's linear power, but without a doubt i will buy a white gt2 and track it with slicks one time before i die (a likely event with that car)

i agree about keeping the power stock - i would however spend money on a baseball bat in order to fit 345 hoosiers on the rear and seriously upgrade the LSD
Major respect indeed! Hehe on the tire size... 325 just isn't enough eh?

Originally Posted by rodjac
Good to see the pictures. Alex did a great job on the car without a lot of time because I wanted to get to Thunderhill. I must say the car is everything I hoped it would be. It is like my 996 gt3 but a little easier to drive hard and a lot, a way lot, more power. Pushing the throttle to the floor in either third or fourth really is a sensation. After a few more track days I will be smoother and faster. Couldn't imagine getting one of these cars and not tracking it.
Hey rodjac, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad it got done in time for the track event We learned something new about those particular seats and the FE Kit so that was good too! I remember driving the NorCal twisties and eventually just putting it in 3rd and leaving it there all day long

Originally Posted by fjpdds
That car is fantastic! rodjac, you gotta love it.
Alex, great job.
ps I just read the Jan. Total 911 article on the 700hp turbo.
Love your work, nice write up.
Cheers on that! That car was a fun, fun ride too!

Quick Reply: Project of the week: 997 GT2