wheels and sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Adam S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheels and sway bars

Some lessons and some advice needed.

Today, after having washed my car, I went out for a test drive, and a bolt got stuck between my brake and the inner wheel (front left)...

Unfortunately, I had my track 18s on, and there is only 1 mm spacing there with these wheels, and the result of a split second wheel turn was some crazy grinding, ripped out the wheel balance weights, dug a groove into the wheel and machined the brake...

This had already happened to me before on the right front when a small pebble got stuck there.. it also machined both the wheel and brake.

Lesson, watch out for those 18s on a car with such huge brakes calipers... a small thing in there can make a problel... now the caliper is machined like 1mm deep.. looks like mostly paints was taken off... should I worry about the structural integrity of the thing under pressure/heat ?
Anyone else had this problem?

Now for the advice needed, I then took the car for a freeway test drive to see if I had lost all balance in the front wheel, and strangely, even at high speeds, I got no vibration in the steering, at all!!

Could these weights have been useless?

Finally, over uneven terrain, or pulling into a driveway, I can hear a hiss coming out of the front right... not related to the brakes issue above, but my sway bars have gotten loose before, and I am wondering if they are again.

Last time I left it to the dealer to fix, but I am thinking to avoid the hassle of the dealer experience, maybe I can do this at home.

Does anyone have experience with the sway bars on the this car... is there anything else to tighten beside that one bold in the whole of choice?

Do you guys recommend anything to keep them from loosening? Am i the only one with this problem?

Do u know the torque ratings for tightening sway bar bolts?

Quick Reply: wheels and sway bars