Certified Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Car actually sold for $93,500 and it was a zero option car, so MSRP was like $106k and I paid $96k.
This seems like sustainable market regardless of the economic climate -- a second owner car (in a niche where supply has tipped over demand) changing hands for a moderate loss from the first owner to the second and on to the third. I imagine any Carrera owner would be overjoyed to have an offer within even 20% of their purchase price. Now, if Porsche could keep this going year over year, I'd be very happy to keep contributing. I've had very good luck with three GT3's and I wonder if perhaps the next (be it an RS or an "ordinary" one) will follow suit or be an even more volatile. Ferrari has sadly lost the plot and I fear that Porsche (or more to the point, the dealer network in North America) will be equally ruthless and nearsighted. I am sure the GT3 can continue its track record, but not if greedy, frightened dealers make short term trades and in the process lose their customers.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think CPO is a great selling point for a vehicle because many buyers are afraid of missing some problem that will surface as they drive around the corner after paying the seller for the car. With CPO you just don't have to worry about the transmission synchros or the engine burning oil or whatever other unnoticed issue pops up. I think this is especially true for a car that would be out of the factory warranty. When I bought my 04 I paid the extra 2 grand for certification just to sleep at night and not have to worry about anything.
BTW unless I am mistaken P cars can be certified even though sheetmetal has been replaced.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CPO is a great selling point...I was only jerking Ron's chain because his car was probably one of the nicest and cheapest GT3's in the US at the time...the CPO was just icing on the cake...it would have sold fast at $93K with or without the CPO badge....
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

One trick about CPO. If you trade a CPO car into a Porsche dealer, or even work a trade-in / resell, the car has to be re-certified. If it is sold individual to individual, the CPO is tranferrable.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
One trick about CPO. If you trade a CPO car into a Porsche dealer, or even work a trade-in / resell, the car has to be re-certified. If it is sold individual to individual, the CPO is tranferrable.
Not So. Read the CPO terms on the Porsche web site. I know - I just sold my CPO GT3 to a buddy through my dealer. No re-certification required - the CPO once put on runs with the VIN. It is transferable to anyone EXCEPT a non-authorized dealer or a car broker (see section 5). I even talked with PCNA about this and they confirmed this. She confirmed that CPO runs with the VIN and in a pass-through like that it would transfer to the new end owner. But, if we passed it through a non-authorized dealer (and she checked the status of my dealership to confirm they were "authorized" and they were).

04 Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I transfer the warranty?
Should you wish to sell your Porsche, you will also benefit from the Pre-owned Porsche Warranty. The remaining warranty is transferred to the new owner. And this will undoubtedly increase the value of your vehicle.

05 Terms and Conditions:

Once the covered vehicle is traded or sold to any non-authorized dealer or commercial broker, this warranty is void.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Can I get my car CPO'ed? Is it like buying extended warranty?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You need to read about CPO at the Porsche USA website. No, you can't CPO a car. You can buy a CPO car from a Porsche dealer though.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
You need to read about CPO at the Porsche USA website. No, you can't CPO a car. You can buy a CPO car from a Porsche dealer though.
What's up Ron? It's Chris Sanner @ Porsche of North Olmsted!

I see you got your Boxster S, how is it?

...Didn't know you were here on RL. (or that you're a Mod! )
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
no, to certify CPO, the dealer MUST own the car. so you have to sell to them and re buy it back. the transaction cost would ruin the deal for you.

Quick Reply: Certified Warranty