Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TireRack Monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Adam S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TireRack Monopoly

I placed an order with tirerack for O.Z. wheels in mid December.
I was told it would take up to 6 weeks to get the wheels.
Today they tell me I am looking at no earlier than March if I am lucky.

I checked, and apparently, Tirerack has exclusivity for distibution of OZ wheels in the entire USA... wtf?

I asked them if they were willing to do ANYTHING to compensate me for the hassle of this extreme delay.. and nothing.

Does anyone else wana tell OZ hq how tirerack sucks?
Do u guys know if I can get them from Canada?
Any other ideas?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Ask for a full refund and order something else.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

PM sent
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I was GMG in Santa Ana today and noticed they had an OZ wheel on display. Maybe they can help you out.

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche.shtml
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

OZ wheels are Italian, and not made in the states. OZ used to have an office in Miami, but closed it and gave the north american importership/distribution to us. This was done because we have better channels to get their product out in the US, as well as the ability to do it with tires installed. Their multi piece wheels are assembled by us here in South Bend, IN.

Since the parts are made in Italy, we are at their mercy to get them just like you are. Just because we import them does not mean we MAKE them, and unfortunately have to wait at times to get them as well. Many wheel companies wait until minimum order quantities are ordered before they tool a forge to make the parts. For that matter, the tire companies do it too. One of the biggest questions I have after doing this many years is WHY a manufacturer will refuse to make a product for 100 pieces when they have a PO in hand for them, because they don't feel it's worth it unless they have orders for 250. But they do. You/we don't have to like it, but it's still the way it is......

We don't have a monopoly on this product, nor are we certainly trying to. We just import it into the US. Somebody has to, and they chose us to do it. Any person, wholesaler, or shop in the country (and Canada!) can buy these from us and resell them as they see fit. But if OZ Italy does not have (or want to produce) them to give us, our hands are tied getting it to you until we do. You have not been billed for your order, nor will be until it ships from us to you.

PM me your order number and I will do ALL I can to get them to you as fast as I can.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Adam S
Instructor

Thx Damon.
I understand about manufacturing logistics, but please note that I was told the delay was due to Tirerack waiting till they fill a whole container with stuff from Italy, not manufacturing logistics.

Beyond the excuse behind this, my issues were as follows:

1) It took you guys over 2 weeks of my time, just to tell me my order was going to be 2 more months late.
Why not tell me this at the time of the order, or a day later... why 2 weeks?
That's quite unprofessional.

2) I was told of this delay completely unapologetically, as if tirerack cared little of the inconvenience it was putting me through.
Remember I am not asking you for a favor here, I am rather trying to give you business.

3) I wasn't offered anything in the form of a discount or a freeby, or anything else to make up for this.
In my business I do everything to make sure customers are happy, regardless of where the breackdown occurs.

4) When I then proceeded to ask if Tirerack was willing to do anything to make up for this, I received no response. Silent treatment.

I am a long time and loyal customer of tirerack, having spent many thousands of dollars on expensive tires due to my track and off road activities.
Yet I feel I am being treated like an inconvenience.

Last edited by Adam S; 01-08-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Fikse rims
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

2 weeks; was it during the past holidays? Most of my part suppliers in Italy shut down about 2 weeks.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam S
Thx Damon.
I understand about manufacturing logistics, but please note that I was told the delay was due to Tirerack waiting till they fill a whole container with stuff from Italy, not manufacturing logistics..
If that's the case, If we airfreighted every single order over one at at time, it certainly would not cost what it does. Why wouldn't we wait to fill a container before shipping? It costs about $400 a set to airfreigt wheels. On a good note with OZ, I have seen in many cases where ETA get pushed out, and then the product shows up way ahead of that anyway. Hopefully it happens with your order. But from a business cycle standpoint you need to know that between Christmas and tax time is the slowest time of the year for the industry. Certainly if more people were ordering wheels right now a container would get filled faster - but it isn't happening. Again, I'll see what I can do.

Beyond the excuse behind this, my issues were as follows:

1) It took you guys over 2 weeks of my time, just to tell me my order was going to be 2 more months late. Why not tell me this at the time of the order, or a day later... why 2 weeks?
That's quite unprofessional.
Right over the Christmas Holiday. In the US, we slow down at Christmas. Italy SHUTS down. For weeks. Given the circumstances two weeks isn't out of line at all. My purchasing dept. gets updates from OZ once a week, if they are in the office to give them to us.

2) I was told of this delay completely unapologetically, as if tirerack cared little of the inconvenience it was putting me through. Remember I am not asking you for a favor here, I am rather trying to give you business.

3) I wasn't offered anything in the form of a discount or a freeby, or anything else to make up for this.
In my business I do everything to make sure customers are happy, regardless of where the breackdown occurs.

4) When I then proceeded to ask if Tirerack was willing to do anything to make up for this, I received no response. Silent treatment.

I am a long time and loyal customer of tirerack, having spent many thousands of dollars on expensive tires due to my track and off road activities. Yet I feel I am being treated like an inconvenience.
I can't speak for the salesman you ordered them from, but I'm sorry you feel "put out" by this. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. That would not have happened had you ordered them from me. OZ orders around here, at least from my perspective, are a big deal and would have been treated as such.
Again, forward me your order number. I'm still waiting for it and I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Get some CCW/BBS rims, they're better anway for the track. I believe Mooty is selling a set cheap.
c
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Adam S
Instructor

Hey TT, I already have CCWs... love them.
I was just looking to add another set of shoes.

Damon, I'll PM u.

Last edited by Adam S; 01-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts
Default 2 words

Champion RG5's

Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
mr997
Advanced

Champions all the way. Sounds like it's the manufacturer's delay for your wheels though.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Hazardous racing use alot of OZ wheels on their cars.... perhaps they could help?

i wouldnt mind having a set of the black center bolt OZ wheels that they run on their cars
Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CCW

Quick Reply: TireRack Monopoly