Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

the only thing that sounds better 'n a 7 GT3 w/ Sharkwerks bypass is...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008 | 05:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I love my Sharkwerks too, it sounds great; but I mainly did it for the 18 lb weight savings. In the mean time I installed the Fabspeed (I was hesitant to order anything from them) side muffler deletes, which saves another 18 lbs per side, for a total weight loss of 54 lbs!!!
I was thinking about taking the side mufflers out also for weight, but does'nt that make the car crazy loud, with only the Sharky as a muffler?

I have the Sharkwerks ECU reflash (the one they did with EVO, not the GIAC tune)
The dealer told me my car was better off with the GIAC tune in combination with the LWFW and sharky than the stock tune, do you think the EVO tune is better / worth it?

Happy New Year!

My car could be a little louder than it is now, but not by much..
Old 12-31-2008 | 06:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

when you pull the plug what side effects does it post?
No side effect as far as I know / can tell, except it sounds right all the time.
Old 12-31-2008 | 07:53 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leif997
a 7 GT3 RS with Sharkwerks bypass....All of you guys with them were right....what a combo with the LWFW....a match made in heaven.....have them on both cars and just luvin' them even more...

thanx, Alex......(gonna send you my gas bills, though; haven't been below 5K RPM since...!)
I have been enjoying this combo for over a year now!! Been enjoying more now that gas is around $2.00, now if only the price of MPSC's would come down!!!
Old 12-31-2008 | 10:07 PM
340Elise
Banned

Nice results on your weight reduction!!

Does the EVO flash affect warrantee?...
have you noticed a decrease in top end speed as a result of side muffler delete?
Historically; total loss of back pressure with muffler deletes yield great bottom end responce but weakens top end...what are your observations thus far?
Lastly; was the EVO reflash with or without the side mufflers and does it make a difference with the program?

thanks
My dealer is OK with the reflash. Others may not be.

I did the side mufflers not too long ago, so I can't comment on top end speed. But, since we often do drive outs to stretch the cars legs (I live in one of the best states to do that), I will let you know when it warms up and I do more driving.

It is not just an EVO tune. It is Sharky's and EVO's tune, and it is specific to Sharky's center muffler delete. According to Sharky, it is better than the GIAC tune, which is what he USED to sell. He switched, and many may not have noticed. I have had mine since before he officially released it. It is not tuned for the side mufflers though. I thought I would try it, and immediately noticed a change in throttle response. Maybe in the spring I will do some more testing and go back to the side mufflers and dyno the car both ways. It feels good to me at all RPM, and the torque curve does reflect that also.
Old 12-31-2008 | 10:12 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Whoa, how did you get down to 2800lbs??!
I am not quite there yet (I am currently somewhere between 2820 to 2850 depending on the passenger seat being present and some rear carpeting, etc...

I have yet to do the CF roof which I have in my possesion (that will be another 35 or 40 lbs).

I also have yet to do really light weight wheels such as the Champion RS98's.

After those two mods, and without the passenger seat and the little bit of carpeting that is just laying over the ECU area, then I should be at 2,7XX lbs.

I have weighed my car at least 5 times within the past year, and my weights are accurate, but are also based on an empty tank of gas to be consistant.

I will post all of my mods in the spring with the exact weight reductions and final values.

Stephen
Old 12-31-2008 | 10:24 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I was thinking about taking the side mufflers out also for weight, but does'nt that make the car crazy loud, with only the Sharky as a muffler?
Sort of, but not as bad as you think. If you turn on sport (or unplug "the plug"), then you are bypassing the side mufflers anyway. However, although you are opening up a direct shot past the side mufflers, the cavity of the side mufflers is also still available to the exhaust gases, and it does end up muffling the sound more than what I have.

So it is louder, but not necessarily crazy loud (depending on who is listening). However, I do have my interior striped out of the car and therefore my sound deadening and isolation is gone! So for me it is prettry darn loud, but you can still hold a conversation if you speak up.

The dealer told me my car was better off with the GIAC tune in combination with the LWFW and sharky than the stock tune, do you think the EVO tune is better / worth it?

Happy New Year!

My car could be a little louder than it is now, but not by much..
Remember it is Sharky's and EVO's tune (how I understand it anyway). Sharky likes it better; that is all I can tell you. I never tried the GIAC. His is set to always have the throttle response set to sport as one of the differences. And although I can't tell the difference, there IS a difference in throttle between sport and regular.

Read the latest on his website and look at what his tune has to offer; he has updated it, and it is not the GIAC tune.
Old 12-31-2008 | 11:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

a 7 GT3 RS with Sharkwerks bypass....All of you guys with them were right....what a combo with the LWFW....a match made in heaven.....have them on both cars and just luvin' them even more...

thanx, Alex......(gonna send you my gas bills, though; haven't been below 5K RPM since...!)
Aw thanks so much and too funny Leif So glad you like it and yes I'm biased but Dan and I had to edit out a lot of "giggling/snickering" when we were making this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JC6HcdKiA

Happy New Year folks and thanks again for all the support/kindness!
Old 12-31-2008 | 11:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I have been enjoying this combo for over a year now!! Been enjoying more now that gas is around $2.00, now if only the price of MPSC's would come down!!!
Early-adopter you! Thanks so much and hey.... you have that 92 octane station so you're in double-heaven there!

PSC's.... there's always driving slower I heard that works? You know... driving like me
Old 01-01-2009 | 12:44 AM
Wayward
Advanced

Default Here's to a happy, if not noisy new year...

the only thing that sounds better 'n a 7 GT3 w/ Sharkwerks bypass is...
Ok, well you asked for it, so here you go...

http://www.soundboards.com/?view=95

Oh, fwiw, my favorite would be the symphartric finale -- last row, third column from the left...

Old 01-01-2009 | 06:28 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Early-adopter you! Thanks so much and hey.... you have that 92 octane station so you're in double-heaven there!

PSC's.... there's always driving slower I heard that works? You know... driving like me
Driving Slower???You know that's not going to happen!! Are you guys coming up this weekend to troll for some great whites? I'll be back Friday afternoon.
Old 01-05-2009 | 05:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
A guy I track with has this and it is the best sound Porsche I have ever heard.

What is LWFW by the way?

thanks! Mike
Cheers very much Mike and LWF=light weight flywheel

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet
Amen!!
Thanks pal!

Originally Posted by TripleM
love every minute of it
Cheers as well and we sent out another one to your kneck of the woods

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Going to install my Sharkworks bypass next week!
Can't wait to see what you think:P There's a good few out there as well I'm sure creating quite a bit of havoc hehe.

Originally Posted by YearOne
Sharkwerks is definitely the way ahead, now get in the engine bay and pull the plug for the valves for the full affect...

I want the LWFW for my GT3 does it need the engine dropped to be changed?
Thanks so much and glad you like it. We only remove the transmission for the LWF installation.

Originally Posted by 930man
love the sound in mine!
Cheers 930man!

Im loving it with the exhuast plug plugged out permanently!
It's more gnarly that way for sure

Originally Posted by daedton
I couldn't agree more. Put the bypass on the RS AND pulled the plug and wow! It takes me back the ALMS race sound that I love. It's by far the best sounding Porsche I've ever heard too!

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Hehe seriously thank you! It still puts a smile on my face going through tunnels...

For those that haven't heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8Fo8G9wI4
Old 01-05-2009 | 05:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Underpass = 8400RPM with a Sharky!!
Old 01-06-2009 | 08:11 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I'll do a count of how many here have it. My guess is that it's at least eight GT3/RS with your bypasses one.
Old 01-06-2009 | 08:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I finally go the Traqmate to record the sound better; I had to turn the mike waaay down to get rid of the wind buffeting, etc. so you do have turn up the volume!

Never mind the bad driving, you can't go fast on slow tire, but you can go fast in, slow out ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yk1fMMoiE
Old 01-06-2009 | 10:39 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

I finally go the Traqmate to record the sound better; I had to turn the mike waaay down to get rid of the wind buffeting, etc. so you do have turn up the volume!

Never mind the bad driving, you can't go fast on slow tire, but you can go fast in, slow out ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yk1fMMoiE
What tires where running?

Quick Reply: the only thing that sounds better 'n a 7 GT3 w/ Sharkwerks bypass is...