Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Selling my GT3 in favor of 2 Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008 | 10:20 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
Thanks guys. Silver, heated sport seats, no badge, black dials, and PASM Sport / LSD. Would arrive March.
About the same as I've got coming. Go for the sport buckets!

PS, I looked at your classified and I doubt you'll have to wait even a week to move it. If I hadn't already committed to my C2S order I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Ron, your kids should be shining your shoes, pressing your clothes, doing all the yard work and making your life at home fit for a King...you are a King of a father to be involving you kids with DE's and supplying the car. I hope they know how good they have it...WOW!!!! Good for you for spending quality time like this with your kids and getting them invloved with your favorite hobby. Plus as we all know DE's will train them to be such a better everyday driver too.
Old 12-30-2008 | 12:06 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ron, your kids should be shining your shoes, pressing your clothes, doing all the yard work and making your life at home fit for a King...you are a King of a father to be involving you kids with DE's and supplying the car. I hope they know how good they have it...WOW!!!! Good for you for spending quality time like this with your kids and getting them invloved with your favorite hobby. Plus as we all know DE's will train them to be such a better everyday driver too.
You're tellin me! My dad gave me a short term loan for a Datsun 510 and told me to go get a f*ckin job. Those were good times.
Old 12-30-2008 | 12:20 AM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

My dad would have paid me NOT to race!
Old 12-30-2008 | 12:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
You're tellin me! My dad gave me a short term loan for a Datsun 510 and told me to go get a f*ckin job. Those were good times.
I cut grass, 15 yards a week and shoveled snow to buy a 1971 Ford pick up in 1981. The truck was my parents and they sold it to me...ha ha...yep good times! then my senior year I mouthed off to my dad one day and he took the truck back and I rode my bike to school. My dad said get a F'n job too then sat back down and said bring me a Jack on the rocks and don't give me any chit.
Old 12-30-2008 | 01:18 AM
HKE46Boy
Rennlist Member

GL on the sale Ron!
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:17 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Don't get the idea I'm giving a 2006 Boxster S to the kids I'm buying it for me and my wife and it will be a platform for them to DE in instead of my GT3. I've learned so much over the years on the track and I want them to have the same understanding of dynamics and physics along with developing skills in awareness, peripheral vision, etc. As to my kids - what can I say? They are terrific. Both National Merit Scholars, Advanced Placement Scholars, High Honor Students, Dean's List for the one in college now, Varsity Athletes, Honors Musicians, etc. And they still have time for family, helping around the house, etc. Never had to motivate them either - just lead by example I guess. If I can instill in them the skills I've learned at DE, then they will be much better and safer drivers on the road. I've already seen it pay off in spades with just my younger one who used the skills I've been teaching her outside of DE (she's still only 17, so can't DE yet). She avoided a major accident when a driver coming head-on decided to turn into a driveway - right in front of her. Immediately went into ABS, swerved left and shot-the-gap between oncoming traffic and the offending car that then stopped in the middle of the street because the driveway wasn't clear. Minimal damage at about 2 MPH with the offending vehicle. Could have been either a T-bone total or a head-on total, but she was a cool cucumber through it.
Old 12-30-2008 | 10:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Ron, don't get me wrong, you are doing the right thing. Keep it going!

My dad ruled the house and me like he was a Army Master Sargent (he was in WWII) everything was yelling and hitting, he was always right and everyone else was wrong. It was always do as I say not as I do. You family and kids sound awesome. You are doing a super great thing for them with the Boxster S and DE's and leading mby example. I am sure they realize this and appreciate this too.

take care
Old 12-30-2008 | 11:09 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I know Mike, just thought everyone could learn something about family balance here and know that I'm not one of those that spoils his kids rotten. My son's 1st car was a 90k mile old Saab that he paid for. When that died, it was replaced with a used Jetta that both kids to this day share, which is pretty easy as they are 2 years apart and his college doesn't allow cars for the 1st 2 years. So she's go it through HS, he'll have it Jr. & Sr. year, etc.
Old 12-30-2008 | 05:02 PM
ECS
Pro

Like the plan Ron. I had a 996GT3 and went 997 Carrera S for the back seats when the kids started arriving. Great track car with minor mods, great DD, and great family car.

Finally, I never got the feeling you totally loved the GT3 like you did the "S". A racer in the ALMS I know also couldn't get his hands around the 7GT3MK1. People really seem to like the suspension on the GT2 a bit better. Final thoughts?
Old 12-30-2008 | 05:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't say I didn't have the same love for the GT3 as I did the C2S. It's just a different car and different personality. One thing I didn't like about the C2S was all of the modification required: GT3 control arms for camber, GT3 sways, no good suspension option for PASM, etc. What I did like and perhaps why it sounded like I had more affection for the C2S was that I drove it all the time. If I was going to the grocery store, I took the C2S. But with the GT3 I respected it more and therefore drove it less. Just the way I'm wired I guess - most guys would drive it just as much.

The GT3 does have much more potential than the C2S - so I'll be going backwards in that respect.

Interesting confession having just spoken with a RL member that's interested in the GT3 - I plateaued in DE and have been in Black for years. I'm finding more enjoyment coaching my kids now. So I think for the next several years I'll be spending more time supporting the kids as they learn on the Boxster. I think that has a lot to do with my moving from C2S to GT3 and back to C2S.
Old 12-30-2008 | 05:24 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Very understandable point of view, and probably represents "realism" versus "idealism". I have been there and am currently toying with the idea of another CXS "PDK" car (for the wife); but it would have to have: limited slip, sport exhaust, (X51, if available) and a few other options.

I had the chance to drive the PDK at Barber, and it was very impressive, especially since I favor manual cars. The car itself is a significant improvement and the PDK is a quantum leap over the Tip.

PDK C4S sounds like it could be the all around car (for awhile)
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ron
what did you feed your kids? I got one in JC who barely got out of High School We were worried about
his graduation right up till the ceremony. My 13 year old goes from Deans list to academic probation in one semester. Both are great athletes but my wife and I are both scientist!!!! How in the hell does that happen!!! It seems to be a pattern here at this High School given most of the people here in this
town are scientist on base. Very rare do we get outstanding academic boys out of this school.
Only HS in this town.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
Very understandable point of view, and probably represents "realism" versus "idealism". I have been there and am currently toying with the idea of another CXS "PDK" car (for the wife); but it would have to have: limited slip, sport exhaust, (X51, if available) and a few other options.

I had the chance to drive the PDK at Barber, and it was very impressive, especially since I favor manual cars. The car itself is a significant improvement and the PDK is a quantum leap over the Tip.

PDK C4S sounds like it could be the all around car (for awhile)
I peg you as someone very likely to get a C4S PDK once the X51 option shows up (presumably 09Q1.) Unless they radically improved the Carrera PASM, I'd budget on entry level coil-overs, though I know only a small percentage of new 911 buyers modify their cars to that extent.
Old 12-30-2008 | 09:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Don't get the idea I'm giving a 2006 Boxster S to the kids I'm buying it for me and my wife and it will be a platform for them to DE in instead of my GT3. I've learned so much over the years on the track and I want them to have the same understanding of dynamics and physics along with developing skills in awareness, peripheral vision, etc. As to my kids - what can I say? They are terrific. Both National Merit Scholars, Advanced Placement Scholars, High Honor Students, Dean's List for the one in college now, Varsity Athletes, Honors Musicians, etc. And they still have time for family, helping around the house, etc. Never had to motivate them either - just lead by example I guess. If I can instill in them the skills I've learned at DE, then they will be much better and safer drivers on the road. I've already seen it pay off in spades with just my younger one who used the skills I've been teaching her outside of DE (she's still only 17, so can't DE yet). She avoided a major accident when a driver coming head-on decided to turn into a driveway - right in front of her. Immediately went into ABS, swerved left and shot-the-gap between oncoming traffic and the offending car that then stopped in the middle of the street because the driveway wasn't clear. Minimal damage at about 2 MPH with the offending vehicle. Could have been either a T-bone total or a head-on total, but she was a cool cucumber through it.
It sounds like you're a very proud parent. And it sounds like your daughter did about all that can be expected. I suspect she clipped that bumper because she was looking at it (what some call "negative outcome fixation" but your description suggests she plotted an exit and it worked.)

It's good that the driver had the instincts to first go into ABS, but by trying to change direction, the front tires are asked to do "too much" and stopping distances tend to extend into the point of collision. This is one of the most important aspects of weight management and one that I'd like to see all young drivers learn from professional instructors.

While I advocate driving schools for just about anyone, I think most DE's are not the right environment for young drivers. Instead of the fanciful notions of DE skills translating from track to street, I'd suggest a motorcycle riding course, defensive riding then defensive driving. I think it's the right place for the parent to show the child how to fully activate ABS, how to look forward of the car and how to anticipate typical high risk scenarios. I don't think the parent is necessarily able to provide the instruction or the circumstances for safe learning. I don't think a DE is the right venue either.
I think DE's have their place and I enjoy them when I can, but I don't think they're all the same level of quality in instruction and they're not equivalent to a professional driver education course, especially for young drivers.

Looking at this example, the description doesn't paint a clear picture, but it seems to describe a pretty typical "left turn attack." This is very common way to get hurt on a motorcycle. A defensive rider scans for these attacks as second nature and understands the importance of having an exit and avoiding "escalating" the problem -- going onto the wrong side of the road is a path of last resort. The same instincts are invaluable to drivers and _should_ be part of mandatory driver training for every kid, not just the lucky ones.

By the way, I've seen kids younger than 17 at the track and in competitive driving. Maybe 16? I imagine there's a parent consent process of some kind to get them started on the track. I'd start with one of the pro schools (like PSDS) and see what they advise. I saw one very young (and quite talented) kid at PSDS with his father, so it's must be possible.

Quick Reply: Selling my GT3 in favor of 2 Porsches