Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Buy a GT3 again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a GT3 again?

Sold my GT3 some time ago. I purchased a cottage on the water, which has proven to be the right move though a PITA dealing with contractors long distance.

Anyway, with the economy in the tank, I have to think it'll soon or already is a great buyer's market for a GT3. I was thinking about a white, low option, high mileage car. Thoughts?

Man can't live on fish alone.

We've also been shopping full size SUVs. Holy crap, the discounts are heavy on them.

---------------------------

Here's me (hungover from last night's fish fry at my place) with my son Jake with his first black drum off the dock at the cottage.

And the family in the nearby ski basin, with the new fishing boat.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wait a bit longer. The market is softening for all things, especially cars. Every day, my email inbox is getting stuffed with % off sales from all sorts of companies that normally don't have any deals. If you have the cash laying around, look to purchase in the deep of winter (February) when prices are seasonably lower.

With the 997.2 GT3 coming out in 2009, prices will feel even more downward pressure. The new car looks great so I expect the car-swappers to dump their 997.1's and move to the new model.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

nice new ridgeback!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

is mooty's car for sale still?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

somebody posted, like 30k off msrp for a 7k mileage car. that's 'regular' 911 depreciation, which got me thinking (always dangerous).
Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_6996wt_941

I was looking and dreaming at this yesterday. I can't swing it at the present time.

I don't know anything good or bad about the dealer but looks like a nice car.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
somebody posted, like 30k off msrp for a 7k mileage car. that's 'regular' 911 depreciation, which got me thinking (always dangerous).
That's GreyGT3. It was a $137k sticker car bling'd out to the max. Car is stunning, but one never gets a good resale on the options
Old 12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Nice Ridgeback! My Ridgeback goes to all the track events with me and is now know as the "Track Bit.h"
Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

That's a good looking ride right there toomey.

ec, ya gotta come down for some fishing and some drinking. Let the wives hang out on the beach. Nicer water than the swill up your way.

We can go chase these (nice eating size at 24")

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Ridgeback. . . she's a good girl. Just turned 2; our second ridgeback. We're looking for water dog as the next family addition, probably a lab.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My head's in the same place, frayed.

I've really stepped up my time out on the track during the past year, and ponied up for a membership at Harris Hill Road (nice shirt in that fish pic, btw ) I think I'd be well-served trading my '07 cab for a GT3 if things keep going this way. I figure I'll sit tight for a bit and see what the rumor mill starts to churn out about the inevitable 997.2 GT3. It'll either be compelling enough I'll be glad I waited, or minimally it'll drive another nail in the coffin of 997.1 GT3 prices.

If a deal comes along, though, I'm ready to bite.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wait 6 months.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Wait 6 months.
I plan on selling my 997 GT3. And I plan on waiting six months for things to get better. Same coin, different sides.

If I were to pretend to be analytical for a minute, I'd say we're in a malaise of depression and apathy. It's been eight years of bad news. It's been twelve months of economic chaos and catastrophes. The economy, the war(s,) the corruption, the government. Yes, I'm repeating myself by saying "government" and "corruption" in the same sentence. Are market leading companies really fairly priced at 50% of their value from this time last year? I'd say not. Is the irreplaceable and arguably "last of the ... <insert superlatives>" generation of GT3 worth thousands less than a few weeks ago? Again, no bloody way. Even if the next GT3 arrives with the same dry sump plus direct injection and even PDK along with a face-lift, a nice wing option and center-lock wheel hubs, the current car is not any less great and its price will be fair. Once the new car price and the options add up, the 997.2 will be new, in-demand and expensive while the 997 will be available and the 996, hell, it continues to be the pick of the litter for the price conscious.

But the market is a blind balance of supply and demand. If there's even one too many cars in supply, the balance tips. If the overwhelming sentiment is deflationary, the market freezes and only the most wounded sellers (and bloodthirsty buyers) participate. We'll hear of exaggerated war stories of high selling prices or low buying prices, but if I take the stock-piling of the local dealers as any measure (and it's their business, which they've owned for decades around here) then I expect or at least suspect that the current glut of GT3's and the handful of unsold GT2's will look like buying BRK/A at $80K and seeing it trading at a "bargain" $130K next year.

At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it! : )
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

carrera gt, I've been thinking the other shoe has yet to drop: consumer credit. When it does, the resale market will tank even further. I've been thinking of sitting tight but recent stories bargains brought me out to ask the question.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
carrera gt, I've been thinking the other shoe has yet to drop: consumer credit. When it does, the resale market will tank even further. I've been thinking of sitting tight but recent stories bargains brought me out to ask the question.
Consumer credit market has tanked. Most just don't know it yet because they haven't applied for credit. They will be surprised when they do. It is drying up everywhere. Customers with FICOs higher than 800 flat out denied.

Quick Reply: Buy a GT3 again?