Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 at VIR Full Course

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Matt, well if you're missing the two, you are welcome to drive mine and teach me a few things at VIR in March
Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
That 6 GT2 of your looks mean. What's in it?
It was bought by an avid autocrosser, and he's very happy. That GT2 has way more mods on the suspension than my previous GT3, I told the new owner that he has 1 of the top 2 street legal 996 GT2 cars in U.S. Both cars were built by GMG Racing.

Worse thing is that I have to run the 2009 SCCA AutoX season against that monster with my lousy 7RS. It doesn't matter how many upgrades I put on the RS, Matt's 996 GT2 is a superior car everywhere.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Can't believe you sold both 2's What are you tooling around in now at VIR
Cool. What tires do you use on the GT3?

That 6 GT2 of your looks mean. What's in it?
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
It was bought by an avid autocrosser, and he's very happy. That GT2 has way more mods on the suspension than my previous GT3, I told the new owner that he has 1 of the top 2 street legal 996 GT2 cars in U.S. Both cars were built by GMG Racing.

Worse thing is that I have to run the 2009 SCCA AutoX season against that monster with my lousy 7RS. It doesn't matter how many upgrades I put on the RS, Matt's 996 GT2 is a superior car everywhere.
i dont think many people beleived me when i told them the car ... was "well sorted"...lol

but Greg Jones of 3Gmotor sports in Greensboro NC did all the suspension tricks and sorted everything out... He will deffinately do my Next car!

Rad you should have your "A" game on.... you will have your hands full...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Wow, I never thought it was possible to modify a GTx suspension beyond what you had in your 6 GT3. That car is still the best handling 911 I have ever driven!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Damn Matt, well if you're missing the two, you are welcome to drive mine and teach me a few things at VIR in March
aww we will figure it out! but will Hop in with you
Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
i dont think many people beleived me when i told them the car ... was "well sorted"...lol

but Greg Jones of 3Gmotor sports in Greensboro NC did all the suspension tricks and sorted everything out... He will deffinately do my Next car!
You understated the car by saying "well sorted".

3Gmotor took it beyond GMG's preparation.

On top of the suspension upgrades I did to my 6GT3, your car had the Moton MotorSports 3-way shocks (lighter than the ClubSport I had, and more adjustability and resolution), GT3RSR uprights (allow a lower ride height without upsetting the axles, avoid excessive bump steer, and lighter than the stock 6GT2 and 7GT2 uprights).

To duplicate those suspensions upgrades today will take over $30k

Rad you should have your "A" game on.... you will have your hands full...
Yes, that car definitely sets the bar for a Porsche street car to a new level. It will be a challenge on the 2009 SCCA AutoX National events. I still have a few things in the Magic Bag of Tricks.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Well sorted is definitely an understatement... Matt I took your advice and I have all of the damn components, thing is I cannot find a shop to drastically change the car's dynamics, as good as it is now, I know it's nothing where it could be

I wish GMG were closer, only solution might be to ship it out there and have it worked on, only thing is after a few events it goes a bit out of whack, then what do I do?!

My shop is sick with setting up Porsche in general, cups and so on, but it's not where it could or should be as I said!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

you need to call Greg @ 3G motorsports .... he is first class set up engineer
Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

you need to call Greg @ 3G motorsports .... he is first class set up engineer
Might have to send it out to him over the winter, hmm, pm me!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Farnbacher-Loles is a lot closer and use a lot of GMG stuff, they do pretty fair work too
That is one hot GT2 gomez, can't wait to see you at the track this yr. I gotta make it to VIR at least once, looks like fun. I thought I was the only guy who drove to/from long distance tracks on cups!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Farnbacher-Loles is a lot closer and use a lot of GMG stuff, they do pretty fair work too
That is one hot GT2 gomez, can't wait to see you at the track this yr. I gotta make it to VIR at least once, looks like fun. I thought I was the only guy who drove to/from long distance tracks on cups!
Chris good idea, they slipped my mind and are obviously fantastic!!

BTW you have got to come to the Zone 2 VIR event in March (March 14th-16th) 3 day event makes it worth the trip
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, F-loles is IMO the best place around NYC to take your track P-Car.
TTSurgeon, most likely will see you around the tracks in our area (LRP, Monticello, Pocono, WGI). That long haul to VIR is not my usual weekend 1000mi+ tour!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Agreed, F-loles is IMO the best place around NYC to take your track P-Car.
TTSurgeon, most likely will see you around the tracks in our area (LRP, Monticello, Pocono, WGI). That long haul to VIR is not my usual weekend 1000mi+ tour!
Hey, I would love to check out your 2, get a ride as I have not been in the new GT2 and would love to.. In return, i'll let you take my RUF R-GT2 for a nice ride

Martin
Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Same here. There's one local guy in 997 RS who drives to Summit Point (local track) regularly but doubt he does it to VIR. But, I drive mine to every where. Only place I haven't been is Mid-Ohio. VIR, Summit, NJMP, Watkins Glen, you name it...I'm there. I smile at those who say 996 GT3 isn't good on the road.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I love driving mine to the track and just adjusting the air pressure, have fun, then turn on the ac and drive home.
Martin, I would check out FL to service your car, well worth it imo. When I had mine there he had a couple of Ruf cars having stuff done. Very professional outfit.
c

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 at VIR Full Course