GT3 RS at California Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GT3 RS at California Speedway

These videos are from last weekend with SpeedVentures, on the open passing group.

I ran one session on MPSC tires, and two sessions on MPSX. RS29 pads, iron rotors front and PCCB Gen I rear.

On straight line, it's an even race with the C6 Z06 and Nissan GTR. However, the Viper ACR just takes off everywhere. At low speeds (below 60 mph) the C6 Z06 has a better pick-up than the RS, given the RS crappy 1st/2nd gear, but at speeds above 80mph, the two cars run even.

This first video has Traqmate data. The RPM are wrong, as I have problems with either the Traqdata cable, or the ground to the Traqmate. It might be a faulty sensor, as I'm positive I picked-up the E6 cable from the DME (green cable with blue trace on the first socket).

5 laps with Traqmate ==> http://vimeo.com/2352129

The second video is from 8 laps without Traqmate data. I got a GPS error on lap 6, and that damaged the data, so I can post video and data from laps 5 and below, and 7 and above. I had a nice battle with the ACR after lap 4, we both enjoyed it.

8 laps w/o Traqmate ==>http://vimeo.com/2351992

The third video is my fastest lap from three sessions. This lap beats my best lap with the 996 GT3 by 4.5 secs, hardly justified by tires alone. I have compared the data from a year ago with my old GT3, and the RS is slightly faster in straight line compared to my old GT3. My best lap last year was a 1:52.3 with the 2004 GT3 on shaved Toyo RA-1. The ACR was on 295/345 Hoosiers and a custom suspension (not the stock ACR stuff), incredibly stable everywhere.

Fast Lap ==> http://vimeo.com/2366002
Old 11-27-2008, 08:54 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- what alignment and sway settings have you settled on for a track like that?
- did you end up going with the stiffer suspension in the front?

thanks

paul
Old 11-27-2008, 10:07 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- what alignment and sway settings have you settled on for a track like that?
- did you end up going with the stiffer suspension in the front?

thanks

paul
I'm running the GMG Racing sway bars. I had horrible push with the stock sway bars after a test drive. For autoX after three events, I set the rear bar on the middle and the front at one from soft. There is a very slight push with the 265/325 tires (autoX), but back to neutral on the 240/270 tires.

This was my first track day with the RS. On session #1 I went out with the same settings as for autocross, but the car was too loose. It was loose everywhere.

On my second session I moved the rear bar to full soft, and left the front bar at one from soft. The car became neutral, and easier to drive at the track.

This is in line with my previous car where switching from autoX setup to track setup required one hole adjustment on the rear bar. With my old GT3 I ran one from stiff front, and full stiff rear (autoX) or one from stiff rear (track).

I haven't changed the springs/shocks yet. That's coming in January.

Alignment:

Front: -2.7 camber, 0.25 total toe-out, rotated camber plates, 7mm shims
Rear: -2.5 camber, 0.50 total toe-in, no shims.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Rad, awesome run. 1:47 is awesome! When is your next track event? let me know. I would like to get a ride if I can.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I'm running the GMG Racing sway bars. I had horrible push with the stock sway bars after a test drive. For autoX after three events, I set the rear bar on the middle and the front at one from soft. There is a very slight push with the 265/325 tires (autoX), but back to neutral on the 240/270 tires.

This was my first track day with the RS. On session #1 I went out with the same settings as for autocross, but the car was too loose. It was loose everywhere.

On my second session I moved the rear bar to full soft, and left the front bar at one from soft. The car became neutral, and easier to drive at the track.

This is in line with my previous car where switching from autoX setup to track setup required one hole adjustment on the rear bar. With my old GT3 I ran one from stiff front, and full stiff rear (autoX) or one from stiff rear (track).

I haven't changed the springs/shocks yet. That's coming in January.

Alignment:

Front: -2.7 camber, 0.25 total toe-out, rotated camber plates, 7mm shims
Rear: -2.5 camber, 0.50 total toe-in, no shims.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

That is a great lap, lot of guys can't match that in a Cup on slicks! Nice job.

JCM
Old 11-28-2008, 01:38 AM
HKE46Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW....1:47 on a street GT3 is extremely fast on that track. Let me know when you go out there next time, I'd like to get a ride!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
grussell
Pro

Nice Job! Thanks for sharing
Old 11-28-2008, 03:35 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Very nice Rad! Looks like you got used to the west side tracks. Thanks for writing the comparisons with other cars.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Rad, I see your still have a taste for running Nascar type tracks.. (Pocono Nostalgia?)

My guess is that you picked a lot of time over the 6 GT3 on Ra1s on the the very fast corner on the bowl. 5mph of apex speed there with so much more distance to go before braking is easy 1-2secs; plus the 997 has a definitive aero advantage over the 996 (It's not all HP; 997 drag is impressively low).

Good job!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most of the time I picked up was on the speedway section. High 130s on the RS vs. low 120s on the 996 GT3 on Turn 1. I still have to work on line consistency, this was my 2nd day at this track.

The RS is much more stable on high speed turns compared to my 996 GT3 on Motons. Aero has a lot to do.

Pocono Nostalgia, plenty. NASCAR tracks with infields are like a bigger autocross (infield) with a fast speed section.

By the way, I just fixed the RPM problem with the Traqmate. It was a bad traqdata cable. I'm picking up the RPM signal from the DME cable E6. It is the first socket on the DME, a small grey socket, the other four sockets are bigger. The socket has the numbers for the cable positions, E6 is the green cable with a blue trace, don't cut it, just peel 2 mm and attach the Traqdata cable.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default lap time..

Originally Posted by supercup
That is a great lap, lot of guys can't match that in a Cup on slicks! Nice job.

JCM
i was gona say.... what are cups runnin? but alas i guess this answers my question.....

very good to see!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The RS is much more stable on high speed turns compared to my 996 GT3 on Motons. Aero has a lot to do.
I was at Calspeedway in Oct and drove the "Petfrog" RS back to back with my stock 996 GT3 and the difference is night and day. The RS is so much more planted on the banked oval. I found my hands making minute corrections on the oval when I drove my 6 vs. the RS that just wanted to run. And the grip off the slow corners of Calspeedway in the RS was much better than the 6 GT3 as well. The 997 GT3RS is by far the best car I've ever driven on track.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

rad exactly what kind of tires are you running? are those full on slicks?

Last edited by C.J. Ichiban; 11-29-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:56 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
rad exactly what kind of tires are you running?
I ran two sets at Cal Speedway.

MPSC 265/30R19 (race-spec), MPSC 325/30R19 (7GT2 OEM) on the stock wheels (8.5"/12"). Fastest lap was a 1:49.846.

Michelin Pilot SX 240/64R18 and 270/68R18 on the super light BBS Mag 9"/11", compound is the Cup Blue. These are 996/997 GT3 Cup car sizes. We can run them on the 997 GT3 but not on the 996 GT3. I was told by the vendor that they're S8 compound front (intermediate) and S9 compound rear (hard) with harder sidewalls. My fast lap on them wasn't fast everywhere, Traqmate shows a theoretical 1:46.9 lap from the same track session. So the slicks are about 1.6 secs faster than the MPSC per minute of track time (huge difference).

I just got my BBS Racing 19" wheels a couple of weeks ago. I mounted Hoosier A6 265/345 on them. I could not bring them to the track, but I wanted to (lack of space inside the RS). These should be the fastest set that I can run right now. The A6 has been a very fast track tire on my old 2004 GT3, about 2 seconds faster than MPSC on my previous car on a 60 secs course. By the way, the 345 doesn't fit the RS, I had to roll the fenders and remove the rear spacers to make them fit, but with all the weight on that axle, I have to run the biggest tire I can.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Adam S
Instructor

I was there... saw the car... I believe Rad had the michelin porsche cup slicks (I dont mean MPSC - I mean the porsche cup league special order race slicks) on what seemed like magnesium center BBS wheels?

I didnt do the track that day, just the auto X.

I believe Rad set the best time of the day, beating national level auto-xers in their miatas, posting a 39.5s to take the cake [do I remember this right Rad?]

If I remember right, I posted a 41.3 with my RS (stock except for exhaust and seats) with Nittos and a street set-up for the suspension. But I was getting bored and left early. That was still a top 5 time, which surprised me given it was my first auto-x ever and I use the same tires I drive to the track and back with.

Rad, forgot to ask, but I am guessing you trailer your car?

Quick Reply: GT3 RS at California Speedway